Forum Member
✭✭✭
Folks - BBC4 NOW!.

Comments

• Options
    ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the start now, hope its on catch up!
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Laurence, Angela likes Demis Roussos. Tony likes Demis Roussos, I like Demis Roussos, and Sue would like to hear Demis Roussos: so please, d'you think we could have Demis Roussos on?"
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    Omg! Jacqueline looks like a young Rose West.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - bt it's one of those where even if you have the disc - it's still a flick over to it..
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,040
    Forum Member
    One of the best Play of the month or play for today that BBC did so well long ago
    Didn't watch tonight so hopefully it'l be on Iplayer for a few days
    Now all we've got is reality stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd forgotten how impressive, Beverly's cleavage was. Now, if only I was deaf. :p
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Steadman is absolutely brilliant in this. Great actress.
  • Options
    steve16steve16 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    Alison Steadman is absolutely brilliant in this. Great actress.

What's so great about her performance is you think she must be a bit like that in real life. But she is completely unrecognisable from the character in real life.
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve16 wrote: »
    What's so great about her performance is you think she must be a bit like that in real life. But she is completely unrecognisable from the character in real life.
    And when you watch her in Gavin and Stacey, 30 years on and a totally different role, she is equally wonderful.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was half-way through watching "Nuts in May", wondering where I'd seen Candice-Marie before, when it dawned on me that she was Beveley. I don't know why it astonished me as much as it did; that's what actors are supposed to be able to do :-)
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Steadman is one of my favourite actresses, she was just sublime in Abigails Party, I caught half of it last night and it and her performance has stood the test of time.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite incredible how different she looked in Nuts In May. It must have been at least a couple of years after Abigail's Party, yet she looked very much younger.

"Kiss Prudence". :D
  • Options
    daicolldaicoll Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Have you heard Alison Steadman playing Mrs Naughtie in the radio comedy series Hamish and Dougal ? Absolute joy to listen to. You would never recognise her voice in a million years...
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Ooooh missed it - bugger. I have it on DVD and have seen it so many times but I do love stumbling upon it by accident.

Alison Steadman is legendary - don't think I've ever seen her give a poor performance.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Omg! Jacqueline looks like a young Rose West.

Who the hell is Jacqueline?

Oh I have this on DVD but I too love stumbling across these things by accident because it's quite a rare treat.

It's difficult to watch at times, especially the very obvious and menacing dominance of Ange by Tony, which she either seems oblivious to or chooses to ignore since she "never thought she'd get married".
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Oh I have this on DVD but I too love stumbling across these things by accident because it's quite a rare treat.

It's difficult to watch at times, especially the very obvious and menacing dominance of Ange by Tony, which she either seems oblivious to or chooses to ignore since she "never thought she'd get married".
    Then again - is it really dominance? Or resentment boiling over? If you consider she's constantly putting him down and talking over him, that he's "a shiftworker" and "just an operator" while she's a nurse - when back in the mainframe-only days, the ops were the unsung folk who kept the kit running (and still are). Then again - with IT being in its relative infancy, more traditional ideas about the relative importance was commonplace - people not really realising how important backend support is.

Seems as though there was some mutual passive-aggressive stuff there, as opposed to mutual respect. I would say there was quite a lot of emotional violence being sent from Angie to Tony there... which would be ignored under Duluth models...

I read it as henpecked husband who snapped.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    alcockell wrote: »
    Then again - is it really dominance? Or resentment boiling over? If you consider she's constantly putting him down and talking over him, that he's "a shiftworker" and "just an operator" while she's a nurse - when back in the mainframe-only days, the ops were the unsung folk who kept the kit running (and still are). Then again - with IT being in its relative infancy, more traditional ideas about the relative importance was commonplace - people not really realising how important backend support is.

Seems as though there was some mutual passive-aggressive stuff there, as opposed to mutual respect. I would say there was quite a lot of emotional violence being sent from Angie to Tony there... which would be ignored under Duluth models...

I read it as henpecked husband who snapped.

Oh yes, good points there. I think their relationship is very complex. I do think she has a tendancy to be extremely over-bearing but the points where he snapped and told her to shut up, her confiding in the other women about him making comments about how he nasty he can be, and that he would like to "tape up her mouth", the fact that she would like to learn to drive but "Tony won't let me." don't entirely say hen-pecked husband to me. In any case, it's interesting to watch. Alison Steadman rightly gets the lion's share of the plaudits but for me Angie and Tony are equally as frightful.

I have no idea what a Duluth model is. I read that as Dulux to start with.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I've got very beautiful lips"
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nuts in May is on next Monday on BBC4. Hope it's part of either a mike Leigh or Alison Steadman season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »

Jacqueline was the character, Janine Duvitski, played in Benidorm. Amazingly, she doesn't look much older than when she played Angela, over 35 years ago.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a television milestone. Mike Leigh is a genius in terms of creating characters and how they react to various circumstances. Secrets and Lies is another example.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine on Bbc1 at 1035 tonight focuses on Mike Leigh
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I was very fortunate to see the original cast at the Hampstead Theatre Club in August 1977. I cannot remember ever laughing so much in the theatre, and it is such a small intimate venue, you felt that you were actually in Beverley's living room.

The only difference to the TV show was that they played Jose Felciano rather than Demis Rousos. So instead of them saying, "Its a pity he's so fat" We had, "It's a pity he's blind" - "Yeah, but he doesn't sound blind does he!" :D

The only reason that it didn't transfer to the West End was that Alison was heavily pregnant at the time.

It was when it was announced that it was going to be shown on the BBC that I hired my first video recorder in 1978. I just had to have it on tape, and I still have that tape 36 years later, although I have also recorded a new copy.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Nuts in May is on next Monday on BBC4. Hope it's part of either a mike Leigh or Alison Steadman season.
    Consider this a hand-clappy smiley.