Should Foreigners be made to pay for Health Care?

PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
Forum Member
I was in Hospital just before christmas and I was amazed at the amount of foreigners who were attending clinics and taking up beds. Many had to have interpreters to translate for medics and one man in particular was "going home to Pakistan" once he got discharged after major surgery.He has never worked nor payed taxes here in the UK , but felt great because he was able to raise the airfare and select the best hospital for his operation on the NHS.

The sooner the NHS has a great big Payments Desk at the entrance to all GP surgeries and Hospitals for those who are not resident or pay taxes here the sooner the better and much needed funds for the NHS.

Comments

• WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the UK is a mug if it is allowing non Brits to swan in and use the NHS.No treatment without ID perhaps.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigh. They* do pay. Via their own pockets or health insurance companies.

Edit: *apart from those on the NHS's list of exempted countries, e.g. Australia.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controversial.....
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Edit: *apart from those on the NHS's list of exempted countries, e.g. Australia.

Well thats that question answered then.

Although I doubt it will stop people ranting about foreigners using the NHS for free.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I know of many cases where people living here have brought their relatives from abroad for treatment.

They say the condition has suddenly become apparent whilst the person was visiting them.

You can't blame them though. Anyone would do the same if they could get away with it.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should only ever treat people who can speak English is the OP's implication. That's how she can tell that most of them haven't paid.

I hope I never get injured in a foreign country.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    The last time i went to a hospital (an A and E department) i was made to sign a form stating that i was entitled to the treatment i was about to receive. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ssssshhhhhhhhh, don't ruin there fun with sense ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Hospital just before christmas and I was amazed at the amount of foreigners who were attending clinics and taking up beds. Many had to have interpreters to translate for medics and one man in particular was "going home to Pakistan" once he got discharged after major surgery.He has never worked nor payed taxes here in the UK, but felt great because he was able to raise the airfare and select the best hospital for his operation on the NHS.

The sooner the NHS has a great big Payments Desk at the entrance to all GP surgeries and Hospitals for those who are not resident or pay taxes here the sooner the better and much needed funds for the NHS.

Hmmm sounds a bit cliched to me.

I am suprised you also did not find out that he loved the fact we gave him lots of benefits as well.

I suppose for you to have found all this out, you must have had a conversation with him, or are you just making assumptions?
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Hospital just before christmas and I was amazed at the amount of foreigners who were attending clinics and taking up beds. Many had to have interpreters to translate for medics and one man in particular was "going home to Pakistan" once he got discharged after major surgery.He has never worked nor payed taxes here in the UK , but felt great because he was able to raise the airfare and select the best hospital for his operation on the NHS.

Something doesn't ring true about this story. You gleaned all that information from the Pakistani man? I just can't imagine having that type of conversation with a fellow patient on a hospital ward and the medical staff certainly wouldn't provide you with the info.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the government claims the money back from their home country, don't they? That's if they are not a resident here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Something doesn't ring true about this story. You gleaned all that information from the Pakistani man? I just can't imagine having that type of conversation with a fellow patient on a hospital ward and the medical staff certainly wouldn't provide you with the info.

My thoughts exactly.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you see any Pakistani or foreign doctors and nurses while you were in hospital?
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that.

When my grandad came over to visit from Pakistan he got ill and went to hospital and we paid for his treatment.

Can you tell me the name of this magic foreign spongers hospital so the next time someone comes over we'll send them there to whip their kidneys out on tick?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    I know of many cases where people living here have brought their relatives from abroad for treatment.

They say the condition has suddenly become apparent whilst the person was visiting them.

You can't blame them though. Anyone would do the same if they could get away with it.

It doesn't work that way, though. When my cousin was here as a part-time student, she once suffered severe stomach pains and we went to A&E. I had to be her interpreter (she understands English, but she was upset, scared and in pain, so she reverted to her native language, hence my presence).

During this, she had to sign two forms. I admit that when a nurse explained what it was for which I translated it to my cousin who then signed the form, I still can't remember the nurse's explanation and my own translation. :o It was decided that she needed to be admitted with a possibility of an emergency operation.

During the admittance, they asked me for her name, contact details and her national insurance number. I explained she wasn't British and blah blah. They asked for her health insurance company details, etc. They came back to me and said the details weren't correct. I called her parents for the correct details, but the calls went unanswered (not surprising as it was around 3AM at their end).

I had to provide my own name, contact details, NS number and credit card details as a security measure. The correct details were provided before the operation. Thankfully as I was really broke at the time. :D

She wasn't charged for a check-up in A&E, but fully charged for the operation, medications, consultations and a stay at her NHS hospital. Throughout all this, the hospital was pretty vigilant on the details of my cousin's addresses, entitlement and health insurance company.
    Forum Member
    It doesn't work that way, though. When my cousin was here as a part-time student, she once suffered severe stomach pains and we went to A&E. I had to be her interpreter (she understands English, but she was upset, scared and in pain, so she reverted to her native language, hence my presence).

During this, she had to sign two forms. I admit that when a nurse explained what it was for which I translated it to my cousin who then signed the form, I still can't remember the nurse's explanation and my own translation. :o It was decided that she needed to be admitted with a possibility of an emergency operation.

During the admittance, they asked me for her name, contact details and her national insurance number. I explained she wasn't British and blah blah. They asked for her health insurance company details, etc. They came back to me and said the details weren't correct. I called her parents for the correct details, but the calls went unanswered (not surprising as it was around 3AM at their end).

I had to provide my own name, contact details, NS number and credit card details as a security measure. The correct details were provided before the operation. Thankfully as I was really broke at the time. :D

She wasn't charged for a check-up in A&E, but fully charged for the operation, medications, consultations and a stay at her NHS hospital. Throughout all this, the hospital was pretty vigilant on the details of my cousin's addresses, entitlement and health insurance company.

Once the person has left the country there's very little they can do.

They certainly wouldn't be able to come after you for the money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Ssssshhhhhhhhh, don't ruin there fun with sense ;)

Oh, sorry. :o I'd better make a cuppa then.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nonsense, they would have never received the treatment in the first place unless they had already paid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you miss that part where I said I had to provide my own NS number and credit card details?
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    Nonsense, they would have never received the treatment in the first place unless they had already paid.

Do you seriously think an NHS hospital would refuse to carry out an emergency operation without payment up front?
    Forum Member
    Did you miss that part where I said I had to provide my own NS number and credit card details?

No I saw that.

I still question whether you'd be obliged to pay for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you seriously think an NHS hospital would refuse to carry out an emergency operation without payment up front?

Maybe not in an emergency hence life or death.

But this man in the OP was supposedly bragging about how he got to choose his hospital, not something you have time to do in a life or death situ.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

Are you sure about that . The NHS will check if you have a NI number or as an EU citizen a EU heath card .I know this as my daughter needed to see a GP in UK and is not a UK citizen .She was being charged £100 untill she produced her EU Health card .Its not as simple as walking in and being treated.The EU have a reciprocal agreement in all EU countries whaich a completly different matter .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I saw that.

I still question whether you'd be obliged to pay for it.

According to the contents of the form: yes, I would be. In fact, when I read this part, I explained I didn't have the money. I was told that I should find someone who could afford it as soon as possible, e.g. my aunt or uncle, to replace my details.

By the time my cousin was preparing to be discharged, the hospital had already obtained a written agreement to pay the charges from her health insurance company. My cousin signed a form, acknowledging she was informed this.

It's not as simple as we like to think.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the government claims the money back from their home country, don't they? That's if they are not a resident here.

Probably depends on how much the cost is. I doubt it's worth the paperwork to reclaim the cost of a few stitches.

People also need to remember that if they travelling around Europe they are entitled to free state healthcare if they carry a EHIC card: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx . Everyone should get one, it's free and could save you a big bill.