Options

Internet In A Rented Flat

OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but here goes:

Basically i'm looking at renting a flat in a village, the flat is fully furnished but i'm worried about internet connection and how one goes about setting it up once i've moved in. Obviously I know it won't be set up and i'll have to set it up but don't know how to go about it.

I'm worried that as it's a village I might get rubbish internet, as, i've just clicked virgin media website and they've said taht the area is not fibre optic but they have offered broadband down the phone line (is this the awful internet connection where you have to 'dial' up and use your phone to connect?)

Also, i'm not sure if the flat will have a phone line in it, do I have to install that seperately or will virgin install one when they come round?

Do I have to ask the landlords permission to have the internet installed?

Sorry if I sound dumb.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone BT and ask if there's an active line, if there is then you can set your broadband up no worries. If not, you'll have to get BT to come round and fix one up for you. They'll have to put a telephone box on the skirting board so I would ask your landlord if that's ok.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go with Virgin for phone line broadband - it's rubbish. O2/BE, Plusnet and Zen are a good starting point.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    If there's a phone line in there (there probably is) then internet access won't be a problem. Like jamcake said, phone BT (it's free) and ask them if the line is active. If it is then you can get internet from them, I've lived in my flat 4 years and never had a problem.
  • Options
    mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on how much you use the internet and how far your flat is from the exchange you might find it better to use a dongle from one of the mobile phone companies.

Always worth considering anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is an active BT line then plusnet are very good. We had to get it put into my Mum's house, very efficient set up, only £6.50 a month and no it's no dial up. Their website shows you what sort of speed you might get
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mark_b wrote: »
    Depending on how much you use the internet and how far your flat is from the exchange you might find it better to use a dongle from one of the mobile phone companies.

Always worth considering anyway.

Was going to suggest this ^^

Hassle free, pay as you go or monthly.
    Recommended :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Was going to suggest this ^^

Hassle free, pay as you go or monthly.
    Recommended :)

Thaw all well but you must remember out in the sticks may mean poor signal best bets is just to put the post code in the bt speed checker thing and see what sort of speed you are in for n it will tell you how far from the exchange to
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not but here goes:

Basically i'm looking at renting a flat in a village, the flat is fully furnished but i'm worried about internet connection and how one goes about setting it up once i've moved in. Obviously I know it won't be set up and i'll have to set it up but don't know how to go about it.

I'm worried that as it's a village I might get rubbish internet, as, i've just clicked virgin media website and they've said that the area is not fibre optic but they have offered broadband down the phone line (is this the awful internet connection where you have to 'dial' up and use your phone to connect?)

Also, i'm not sure if the flat will have a phone line in it, do I have to install that seperately or will virgin install one when they come round?

Do I have to ask the landlords permission to have the internet installed?

Sorry if I sound dumb.

Re your bit in bold - broadband down the phone is exactly that - broadband. The awful internet connection where you have to dial up is just that - dial-up. The fibre optic broadband is the "newest fastest" thing, but standard broadband through the phone is absolutley fine though as other users have saud don't opt for Virgin to provide your service. BT is MUCH better :)

Also re the mobile dongles - signal strength can be a problem and a while ago mine was down for 5 days as the 2 local 3G masts were down. And it is technically dial-up not broadband anyway. ;)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a phone landline, then you can get broadband, but how fast it will be depends on your distance from the phone exchange.

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/guides/adsl_and_distance.aspx

Use an online broadband checker, and enter the postcode, to see which suppliers are available.

Note, that's the maximum possible speed ! The supplier will give you something lower ...........

(added) When you sign up, they send you a DSL modem, which you plug into the phone socket as well as a phone!

These days, they'll send you a wireless router! That connects via the wireless card inside your computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this is still relevant to the OP but thought I would share my own experience with internet connections. I was in a similar scenario, moved into an apartment that wasn't set up with an internet connection, it doesn't even have a phone line.

I browse the web almost exclusively on my smartphone so I did a little research into the most convenient and cost effective way for me to browse the web, I ended up not renewing my current smartphone contract. I actually just kept my phone (an iphone 5 for reference) and went with a 'sim only' contract from a company called Mobi Data (site here.)

They might be of use to you too, I found them particularly convenient because it means I get instant access to the web without having to worry about someone coming in to install stuff in my house or having to pay for a line rental I wont use. I currently have a 1 month rolling contract with them so I can cancel it any time I want which is another feature I like. I hope this is of some use to you / others in the same scenario!
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Four years later?
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four years later?

You have to give careful thought to your first post.
    My mean going back a few pages. :kitty:

And yes a Wi-Fi. Hub is the answer if you don't want a Landline.
    When I'm out I use mine.
    Pay 16 pounds a month for 15.3 GB from Three.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four years later?

My bet would be this is advertising for 'Mobi Data'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamcake wrote: »
    Phone BT and ask if there's an active line, if there is then you can set your broadband up no worries. If not, you'll have to get BT to come round and fix one up for you. They'll have to put a telephone box on the skirting board so I would ask your landlord if that's ok.

Wait..... You have a telephone box attached to your skirting board?
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to obtain permission from your land lord for internet access unless it would involve any external or internal changes. For example if you wanted a dish on the wall that sort of thing. If you are going to change your phone line provider or number out of respect I would suggest your inform them of this change just so they know.

Dont expect a great service from the broadband connection. The key will be how far from the local exchange you are. Also with flats it can depend on the state of the wires used to split the service between them. At best I used to get about 2 meg with standard ADSL broadband.

If you enter your postcode into one of the broadband services it should give you some idea of the sort of speed you can expect but this is normally the upper limit.
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    You have to give careful thought to your first post.
    My mean going back a few pages. :kitty:

And yes a Wi-Fi. Hub is the answer if you don't want a Landline.
    When I'm out I use mine.
    Pay 16 pounds a month for 15.3 GB from Three.

I have a couple of friends who use this and get a perfectly fine service...why pay for a landline as well as internet?? (actually I don't think they have a hub....they pay £15 per month for a fob to be topped up).