Apple Watch

Comments

• alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 'how dare they' positive reply for the readers of the most Apple positive forum in the whole wide world.

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/28/after-crushing-rival-smartwatch-sales-apple-watch-portrayed-as-doomed-by-cnbc

"The actual findings from MBLM are actually mostly positive, including comments that "joy and wonder were the overwhelming emotional anchors experienced by participants," and that "happiness overcomes frustration. "
    "Natarelli concluded after the first week that "Apple Watch is an effective device because of its ability to develop a powerful and intimate relationship with users."
    "After using it for a month, four users out of the eleven expressed some complaints about wearing it regularly, while others said "it was easier to use my watch than my phone at work," or that "when my phone is in my handbag and my hands are full, it just makes it much easier to use the watch."

Reporting that "millennials are dissatisfied with the watch" is no more accurate than saying "all people with jobs and/or handbags find Apple Watch easier than using a phone." Both are individual opinions, not a significant statistical representation of a broad demographic"
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Apple Watch is an effective device because of its ability to develop a powerful and intimate relationship with users."

Can it be used as a vibrator then? :o:D One has to love that PR/BS speak.

Anyway I finally saw one live yesterday. Well, dead more like it. A guy on a plane had it, but it was off all the time. I only saw he had a Milanese loop attached to it. I think if Apple managed at all to have a watch face on all the time it would look nicer. Still not a fan of a rectangular shape though.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Can it be used as a vibrator then? :o:D One has to love that PR/BS speak.

Anyway I finally saw one live yesterday. Well, dead more like it. A guy on a plane had it, but it was off all the time. I only saw he had a Milanese loop attached to it. I think if Apple managed at all to have a watch face on all the time it would look nicer. Still not a fan of a rectangular shape though.
    If it was on a plane the Watch was probably in Flight Mode.

I'm still using mine daily and loving it.
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple live whilst in Manchester and London, they're not all the rage in Whitehall though :D.

I think that it's a bit like the original iPad and iPhone, good products and the beginning of a revolution but not quite mass market yet. That being said the uptake from the developers is making it a better and better offer every day.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wish they would fix the custom notifications settings. I'm still not getting email or text notifications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    If it was on a plane the Watch was probably in Flight Mode.

I'm still using mine daily and loving it.

I guess so, but he must have switched it off before he got on a plane. And I did not want to bother him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a couple live whilst in Manchester and London, they're not all the rage in Whitehall though :D.

I think that it's a bit like the original iPad and iPhone, good products and the beginning of a revolution but not quite mass market yet. That being said the uptake from the developers is making it a better and better offer every day.

Can you create native apps now or is it still just the generic notification app?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish they would fix the custom notifications settings. I'm still not getting email or text notifications.
    There's nothing to fix. It works well for most people.

The problem is usually that people mess about with the default settings. The Watch will provide the same notifications as your iPhone. If you don't normally get a notification on your iPhone when an email arrives for example, you won't get one on the Watch.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    There's nothing to fix. It works well for most people.

The problem is usually that people mess about with the default settings. The Watch will provide the same notifications as your iPhone. If you don't normally get a notification on your iPhone when an email arrives for example, you won't get one on the Watch.

But the custom settings don't work. They only work if you select mirror my iPhone. And even then they don't deliver consistently.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I guess the iwatch sport matches the 5c pretty well
  • lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you create native apps now or is it still just the generic notification app?

They released the SDK for native apps at WWDC as far as I know.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Watch OS update which will support native 3rd party apps fully is due in the autumn sometime. Developers already have been playing with the SDK. eg. this guy for the novelty value ported (well using a very sluggish emulator) Mac OS 7 across to the watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New headlines are stating that US sales have dropped 90% or that the research data showing a 90% drop is too flawed to be any use.

Yet this forum does reflect most of it, in that those here who wanted one bought theirs a good while back.
    Percentages, not totals also reflect what happens too with Android watches.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    interesting article on how they got to 90% drop. Not clear how large the sample size is but method seems reasonable.
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wearable-technology/smartwatches/1403565/apple-watch-sales-plummeting-how-do-they-know
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Was reading a magazine today which had an article about digital / smart watches included photos side by side of an early Pulsar alongside an Apple watch. Guess which one *looked* smarter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not available in store though.

An interesting non move from Apple.
  • muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

They are available in Apple Stores and have been for some weeks now...
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »

They are indeed. I saw someone purchase one in the apple store in Manchester on Saturday.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't Apple sales of everything traditionally drop off over the Summer, and then pick up again in the Autumn/Xmas period? Apple Watches are expensive. I would have thought they might do better as Christmas presents.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amusing, but I'd be more interested to know why, and how commoon this perception is of the watch.

My boss has one (the only one I've seen) but it seems everytime it notifies her of something it is at the wrong time and/or something not useful.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Amusing, but I'd be more interested to know why, and how commoon this perception is of the watch.

My boss has one (the only one I've seen) but it seems everytime it notifies her of something it is at the wrong time and/or something not useful.

My first sighting of them in the wild last night. At a local gym. A couple were using it to help their workout. And unless they had a separate bluetooth HR belt, it wasn't going to measure much of what they were doing (weights) ....

Surprised I haven't seen any at work, as work happens to be one of the mobile telcos.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen three so far, all on the tube. Two on the jubilee line and one on the central line.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must be huge straps.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get an after market watch that connects to the Iphone like the I(watch)