The Ashes To Ashes (Last episode) Thread for Normal Folk

Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know there is a thread in the cult section, but thought for the more casual viewer this may be of interest

I didnt watch first two series, seemed a really poor follow up to LoM)... saw an episode last week and enjoyed it (Loved Life on Mars), watched the second last one tonight and it left me cold really.

Any other non-cult / normal fans of the show interested in the finale?

I actually think it will end in a Very similar way to the infamous US LoM ending (which in a way I liked cos it was so bad)

Comments

• ocoxocox Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there is a thread in the cult section, but thought for the more casual viewer this may be of interest

I didnt watch first two series, seemed a really poor follow up to LoM)... saw an episode last week and enjoyed it (Loved Life on Mars), watched the second last one tonight and it left me cold really.

Any other non-cult / normal fans of the show interested in the finale?

I actually think it will end in a Very similar way to the infamous US LoM ending (which in a way I liked cos it was so bad)

After the last few episodes, it does seem like we could be heading for a naff conclusion. That’s the feeling I’m getting, but I live in hope, that after five series, the writers will do us proud with an excellent ending.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep meaning to try Ashes to Ashes again, but I keep not bothering somehow. I loved Life on Mars, and I did watch the first series of Ashes to Ashes, which I thought was ok. But when the second series started I somehow just couldn't get into it, and I gave up. I've seen the odd bit of the current series at other people's houses and so on, but I suppose I need to have watched the whole thing for it to be worthwhile.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great, a thread for 'normal' comment; try criticising A to A on the cult forum and you get ripped to shreds. I've just watched Life on Mars again and confirmed IMO it's just the best series that's been on TV (well perhaps in a dead heat with Spooks!) It had originality, charm, lightness of touch, genuine emotion in Sam's predicament, humour and, above all, Gene Hunt's great one-liners. All this has gradually been lost in the three series of A to A - if it was ever there in the first place. This third series is becoming more and more ludicrous. I've stuck with it in a kind of morbid fascination in how much worse it can get and what kind of desperate, silly ending they have come up with.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say series two of A2A was the best - almost up there with LOM.
    The current one does seem to be dragging out to "The End" - they have a problem in that whatever it is now, its almost certain to disappoint.:(
    I'm hoping all the hints about an ending similar to US LoM is just a windup by the producers - it better had be anyway!
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't, there's no way the writers would dare insult their viewers in that sort of way. They'd be savaged.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping they'd finish with a 2 hour "special", fingers crossed for next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I started watching LoM when it aired, and in ways its similar to alot of the shows I watch in that, I didn't want to get obsessed by figuring out the mystery but I found myself nit picking every episode and rewatching in case I missed anything.
    Then I started to watch A2A and it wasn't as good as LoM but it was still quite hard not to get wrapped up in the theory stuff they discuss in overwhelming detail in Cult. Its one of those shows you watch innocently but find yourself going mad by overthinking clues under the impression you'll figure it out before other viewers and have your hallelujah moment. ;):D
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think viewers were given the answer(s) back in A2A series 2 !
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sum it up so far for the really casual viewer? As in, I barely have an idea what's happening, but am sort of aware of it enough to be curious about the ending?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I haven't enjoyed this series as much. Infact, probably the only reason for sticking with it is the fact that it is the final series and has a finale to it.

I watched LoM US but wasn't sure how that ending came about. Was it pre-written well in advance or was it a rushed job because it was axed or just the way US series work (writing episodes only a short time in advance)?

A2A shouldn't suffer from the last two as they've had plenty of time to plan what they wanted.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the writers have already said they were disgusted with the us ending yes im a fan but i dont mind peoples opinions on the program

they said its going to be an ending noone will think of so we'll see
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so fans of the series aren't normal folk?
    Forum Member
    fans are normal folk, just not the posters in the Cult Forum :p
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I don't like the Cult thread as it goes too deep for me. I want to just take it in and not try to work it all out first.
  • buffyslaybuffyslay Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was the US ending?
  • Manic MinerManic Miner Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iceman09 wrote: »
    so fans of the series aren't normal folk?

they are a funny bunch

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    lol :)
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sum it up so far for the really casual viewer?

Now there's a challenge.

(Sorry, I do post over in the Cult forum, so am technically "not normal" but am fascinated to see a reply to this post.)
    Forum Member
    buffyslay wrote: »
    what was the US ending?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_Mars_(U.S._TV_series)#Synopsis (last paragraph)
    Forum Member
    There's no way it'll end like US LOM. Trust me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Are you kidding me? :eek:

I swear, if our one ends like that, I'll be organising a protest march on BBC TV centre. Who's with me?
    Forum Member

I watched LoM US but wasn't sure how that ending came about. Was it pre-written well in advance or was it a rushed job because it was axed or just the way US series work (writing episodes only a short time in advance)?

A2A shouldn't suffer from the last two as they've had plenty of time to plan what they wanted.
    Angel Dust wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? :eek:

I swear, if our one ends like that, I'll be organising a protest march on BBC TV centre. Who's with me?
    That was why I was wondering about how/why the US series ended like that. Perhaps it was just a rush job???
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was why I was wondering about how/why the US series ended like that. Perhaps it was just a rush job???

More probably because they're Americans, who lap that sort of thing up...
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Please don't say things like that :eek:
    Forum Member
    The writers have openly criticised the US ending, so don't worry, it will not end like that.