Options

Nadine Coyle Dropped By Tesco

speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
Forum Member
http://www.bestandworstnews.com/2010/12/nadine-coyle-dropped-by-tesco.html

Now that Nicola is releasing a solo album, a GA reunion is looking further away than ever. So where does this leave Nadine? Is this a good thing for her that Tesco have dropped her as many though she should never have signed with Tesco in the first place. But will any major label/manager/producer/writer want to work with her after the failure of her album? Can she afford to make another album without any finacial backing or is that her music career over?

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    It was a terrible idea from the start. For a commercial singer, her album should be available everywhere, especially as many people choose to download now instead of buying physically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was never signed to Tesco, their job was to sell it nothing more. She is signed to Black Pen Records, which she owns and runs. She won't drop herself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats nice for your reputation.

not just getting dropped, getting dropped from Tesco.. Unlucky..

stupid idea in the first place.

Coyle 0-1 Cole = Just wait for them rumours to start flying about -.-
  • Options
    speedyboispeedyboi Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    BP4L wrote: »
    She was never signed to Tesco, their job was to sell it nothing more. She is signed to Black Pen Records, which she owns and runs. She won't drop herself.

But it is Tesco who have cancelled her second single because of the poor sales of her album, so Tesco must be more than just "the place where you can buy it". It was obvioulsy a far more complex deal than that. If Tesco can cancel the single then they are acting more like a record company than a mere distributor.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola will do well I think, Kimberleys song with Aggro will be top 5, Cheryl obviously does very well and wheres Nadine? Least she has her LA Irish Pub.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Not suprising is it?

I hope the album makes stores like HMV and itunes. It's a solid album. Deserves success. But it's flopped not because of being shit as some haters think but because of it's availability.
  • Options
    Arthur CucumberArthur Cucumber Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    speedyboi wrote: »
    But it is Tesco who have cancelled her second single because of the poor sales of her album, so Tesco must be more than just "the place where you can buy it". It was obvioulsy a far more complex deal than that. If Tesco can cancel the single then they are acting more like a record company than a mere distributor.

Nope, Tesco are simply treating it like they would any other product they stock, whether it be a vegetable or a cardigan. If something is underselling then they are not going to grant it valuable shelf space. So they replace it with something else. It's just the usual arrangement that exists when shops make deals with suppliers.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Not suprising is it?

I hope the album makes stores like HMV and itunes. It's a solid album. Deserves success. But it's flopped not because of being shit as some haters think but because of it's availability.

And the weakness of the lead single
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    Not suprising is it?

I honestly think the album would have flopped anyway. Look at Alesha Dixon - her album entered at #84 this week, yet that was available everywhere.

Its not like Nadine sold the album exclusively in Lidl. Every one in seven pounds in this country are spent in Tesco, pretty much every Tesco in the country had special stands selling the album, and you could also buy it online. Also, I believe that Faithless had the exact same Tesco deal, yet their album got to #2 in the charts.

The truth is that people just didn't want the album. I'm not sure what the main factor was - either weak material, poor choice of lead single and video, lack of promotion, lack of radio play, Nadine's perceived 'unlikeability', her alienation of Girls Aloud fans in interviews, people taking Cheryl's side, the media having an apparent vendetta against her - who knows? But its far too simplistic to blame this entirely on Tesco.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dropped by Tesco? OUCH - embarrassing or what!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    The truth is that people just didn't want the album. I'm not sure what the main factor was - either weak material, poor choice of lead single and video, lack of promotion, lack of radio play, Nadine's perceived 'unlikeability', her alienation of Girls Aloud fans in interviews, people taking Cheryl's side, the media having an apparent vendetta against her - who knows? But its far too simplistic to blame this entirely on Tesco.

I have to agree. I hardly heard Insatiable anywhere, heard noone talking about it or even mentioning she had a single out. I think possibly lack of radio play is a big thing, I probably heard it about once on the radio (mainly listen to Radio 1 so not sure how much play it got on other stations?) but also I think since GA haven't really done much recently, and the fact that Cheryl has gone solo before, its not really 'big news' :confused: GA aren't really in the 'spotlight' at the moment, as they're having a break. Just my thoughts but I think that could've contributed to it. Its definitely not helped that its just been available in Tesco - I mean who goes into Tesco to browse for music? You'd go to HMV or some other music shop, you wouldn't go to Tesco to just look around the music section (unless you were doing your food shop there at the time or whatever) without having something in mind you were looking for. I don't go to Tesco regularly, but when I did I didn't really notice anything advertising the album either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member

She still needs a distributor, though. No one is going to touch her now she's flopped so badly, so unless she can fund it all herself (which will mean paying lots for independent distribution, advertising etc...) then she'll have to look for a proper label.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Thats just some random blog though, with no source cited. It might not even be true that she has been dropped.
  • Options
    PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think Nadine can salvage something from this. At the moment the press are gunning for her, but they will soom move onto someone else to target. She also has displayed on her album that she is able to write her own material. She also has the best voice out of all the girls, though due to being quite shy and uneasy with the press she often doesn't come across as well as should. I think Nadine needs to fire her management as they are advising her completely wrongly and needs to get back in contact with her old Girls Aloud management. As the best singer in the band she should be able to fight back and her profile is quite high. This might even do her good, as the public like to see someone fight back from adversity. She is also fairly young and has time on her hands.

I think the bad press, tesco deal and independent record label seriously harmed Nadine's chances of a successful career. I don't know a single act who has released on an independent record label who hasn't flopped. Even big stars need large record company backing .e.g.

Beverley Knights 100% didn't do wonderfully and the singles really flopped - one not even making the top 100

Charlotte Church - her recent "back to scratch" album flopped and the singles haven't even charted. She was also a far bigger and established star than Nadine

Melanie C - has had some success in other countries, but her two self funded albums flopped in this country.

I also think that a lot of the Cheryl lovers harmed Nadine's career, as they continually slagged her off and made it into a battle with childish labels such as "Team Cheryl". Why can't a Girls Aloud fan like both?. I bought both albums and like Cheryl, but have started to go off her as she is starting to appear very smug on the X factor and appeared to delight in Nadine's situation cruelly inviting all the girls but her to the X factor/ Pride of Britain in order to flaunt it in front of her. I am also disappointed in the other girls ( with the exception of Nicola, who was the only one decent enough to wish Nadine luck) who have sat back and watched the papers lay into Nadine without supporting her. Even if they had had a falling out, standing back and not commenting on some of the flack Nadine has faced and virtually encouraging it but continually posing without her is virtually tantemount to bullying. Especially Kimberley who seems to conveniently forgot that it was Nadine's championing of her which helped to get her in the band.
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a fan of Nadine or Girls Aloud, but i have got to say she needs to be signed by a major record label to have any chance of gaining commercial success.... also high profile appreances and performances are a must.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Well, if it's true than that's quite disappointing, because she is a pretty good singer.
  • Options
    dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good thing for her. On to the next phase! Things can hardly be worse for her so I reckon she will bounce back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Like others have said. She wasn't signed to them so can't have been dropped by them. They can stop their agreement yes, but drop her? No. I think she'll be happy that she had the chance to do it personally. Good luck to her in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    PheebShirl wrote: »
    I personally think Nadine can salvage something from this. At the moment the press are gunning for her, but they will soom move onto someone else to target. She also has displayed on her album that she is able to write her own material. She also has the best voice out of all the girls, though due to being quite shy and uneasy with the press she often doesn't come across as well as should. I think Nadine needs to fire her management as they are advising her completely wrongly and needs to get back in contact with her old Girls Aloud management. As the best singer in the band she should be able to fight back and her profile is quite high. This might even do her good, as the public like to see someone fight back from adversity. She is also fairly young and has time on her hands.

I think the bad press, tesco deal and independent record label seriously harmed Nadine's chances of a successful career. I don't know a single act who has released on an independent record label who hasn't flopped. Even big stars need large record company backing .e.g.

Beverley Knights 100% didn't do wonderfully and the singles really flopped - one not even making the top 100

Charlotte Church - her recent "back to scratch" album flopped and the singles haven't even charted. She was also a far bigger and established star than Nadine

Melanie C - has had some success in other countries, but her two self funded albums flopped in this country.

I also think that a lot of the Cheryl lovers harmed Nadine's career, as they continually slagged her off and made it into a battle with childish labels such as "Team Cheryl". Why can't a Girls Aloud fan like both?. I bought both albums and like Cheryl, but have started to go off her as she is starting to appear very smug on the X factor and appeared to delight in Nadine's situation cruelly inviting all the girls but her to the X factor/ Pride of Britain in order to flaunt it in front of her. I am also disappointed in the other girls ( with the exception of Nicola, who was the only one decent enough to wish Nadine luck) who have sat back and watched the papers lay into Nadine without supporting her. Even if they had had a falling out, standing back and not commenting on some of the flack Nadine has faced and virtually encouraging it but continually posing without her is virtually tantemount to bullying. Especially Kimberley who seems to conveniently forgot that it was Nadine's championing of her which helped to get her in the band.

This isn't true at all. it flopped because her music is rubbish. she not lucky enough like princess cheryl to have a huge tv show to flog her crap music on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    londan wrote: »

This isn't true at all. it flopped because her music is rubbish. she not lucky enough like princess cheryl to have a huge tv show to flog her crap music on

Hvae you even listened to the album? Because it sure as hell doesn't sound like it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Hvae you even listened to the album? Because it sure as hell doesn't sound like it.

i have listened to it, its pants, as was the single. hence it bombing
  • Options
    chicaxschicaxs Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I think Runnin' is such a brilliant song. I really hope she releases it, I noticed her album is not on itunes but insatiable is. This is a big mistake . Her album would have charted well if she released it for iTunes too.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turns out the News Of The World are liars (newsflash)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jameshall/100008948/tesco-is-not-good-at-everything-just-ask-nadine-coyle/

The message from Tesco on Coyle is “watch this space”. A spokesman said: “We’re obviously disappointed that Nadine’s album hasn’t got off to the start we all hoped for but it’s a great record from a brilliant artist and once we start getting some proper airplay I think a lot more people will discover this for themselves. Tesco is used to facing tough competition and we’ll be getting right behind Nadine’s second single in the new year.”

Confirmed PUT YOUR HANDS UP is the 2nd single!

It's mentioned in tons of articles too, so it must be it! Good choice...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always going to happen. The media have had it in for Nadine for as long as I can remember and did all they could to make sure everyone knew she would fail before she'd even had a chance to prove herself.

Yeah, Insatiable was a truly shit single but the album as a whole is one of the best of 2010, in my opinion, and Nadine deserves more than this.

Still, going with Tesco exclusively was never going to work. Anyone could see that. The media's hate campaign for Nadine so they could big up Princess Cheryl even more didn't help, though, and I hope they're bloody happy now. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tend not to believe that article as the second sentence isn't even factually correct - the single peaked at #26, and not #47as they claim. And as a previous poster pointed out, there is currently a news story on Digital Spy saying that Tesco will be giving their full support to the second single. Anyways, I think the album is really good and deserves a wider audience!!