Has anyone been to Belfast Before? What's there to do there?

2»

Comments

• phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I found it amazing to hear the story of Michael Stone, getting as far as the front entrance to Stormont before being stopped!

Yeah it's 1mile between the front gates and the building apparently (or was it 1km?) In any event, the distance seemed less than that. Optical illusion I guess. I think reaching almost 130mph on that road is a story worth telling! :)

Its quite easy, really - no traffic...in EITHER direction...and early in the morning no dogwalkers wandering over the road - and no police. You nail it passing the security barrier and keep changing up...until its time to slow down by which time you're travelling uphill which helps a LOT with the braking! :D

Its a mile - I've got a quiet "flying kilo" elsewhere for metric testing!
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    I hated Dublin when I was in the city centre as it's just too busy for me and full of stag and hen parties. People falling over themselves drunk isn't my idea of a good time.

Belfast is a nice city, people are generally friendly .

aye those were the culhies just visiting the city, you know a real belfast person when they have the forearms covered in tattoos
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aye those were the culhies just visiting the city, you know a real belfast person when they have the forearms covered in tattoos

Wow, generalise much? You obviously have a real issue with Belfast and it's inhabitants but my experiences of Belfast are all positive and that includes the people that Ive met that live there
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    Wow, generalise much? You obviously have a real issue with Belfast and it's inhabitants but my experiences of Belfast are all positive and that includes the people that Ive met that live there

well I wouldn't invite them for a tay party anyway, however I have had good experiences with a few of them
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Just returned from Belfast a few weeks ago, went for an overnight stay as my youngest son has been going on about going to the Titanic museum since it opened. We did the tour on the first day and the museum on the second day. I liked Belfast itself but the museum was a let down, no artefacts at all from the Titanic and LOT'S and LOT'S of reading which my 9 yr old got bored with.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    There's a child there, who will sing again according to Jim Kerr.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can see the school George Best went to from my bedroom. that's maybe not on the tours.
    Belfast is a fantastic city. it has a lot of charm and a lot going for it. its a shame a small group of w**kers want us to stay in the 1960s.
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just returned from Belfast a few weeks ago, went for an overnight stay as my youngest son has been going on about going to the Titanic museum since it opened. .

It's not a museum and to be fair they don't call it one, as you say there are no original artefacts in it.
    In my opinion it is nothing more than a glorified tourist information center with touch screens and fancy graphics.

If the topic starter is looking for something authentically Titanic (but less aesthetically pleasing) it's better to walk about half a mile further to the dry dock and pump house.
    Belfast is not a bad place all in all, I found the people generally friendly and helpful.
    We went on an Allens Tours trip to the Giant's Causeway & carrick-a rede and enjoyed that, the coastline is beautiful.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belfast has certainly improved over the years. The city centre is great and is as good as many city centre's in the UK, I wouldn't rate many higher. Even across the world, I've been to Australian cities and many European cities and I feel Belfast stands up pretty well in comparison. I do see more and more tourists coming to Belfast each year, in the early 2000s there were hardly any.

Its still a very divided place mind, more peace walls in the city since 1998, the politicians are utterly useless. Many places are overtly sectarian, still problems with racism (but its not alone in that regard within europe or the UK). As a city I do feel it is going places.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the merchant for afteenoon tea is fab
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Belfast is a great city with lots to see and plenty of places to eat and drink. We loved the Titanic Museum recently. Previously we have seen much of the city, including the Botanical Gardens, a taxi tour of the city including all the murals, and a (free) guided tour of the magnificent City Hall. I do agree that it has a better atmosphere than Dublin which has become a tourist trap.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on what day of the week you are coming here and how many days you spend. From Friday to Sunday you have St Georges Markets which are great. You also have the City Hall to wander around. Plenty of shopping choices and loads of great places to eat. Take a Red Bus tour, you get your tickets from the Welcome Centre across the road from the City all and also they can book you tickets for a show or any other attraction. Aside from the Titanic Museum there is the S.S Nomadic which ferried passengers to and from the Titanic and is moored beside it, also the Drawing Rooms for the Titanic again at the Titanic site and these are about 20 mins walk from the city centre.

Across the city, in the university quarter, there is the Ulster Museum which is free to enter and is located within the Botanic Gardens. The good thing about Belfast is it is not a big city and everything is within easy walking distance. If you want to see the Shankill, which is basically just a very long road with shops and murals, you can get the bus from the city hall or take a black cab tour. The Falls is also a very long road with murals and shops but with the difference of Irish language signs. If you want to be bothered with both roads the main points of interest are the memorials/shrines to the people murdered at various points along the roads. These all remind of the past and in my opinion the past is better left where it is. There's far better stuff to see in the city. Loads of wee alleys with pubs - the famous Crown Saloon is a must for a pint and tha tis opposite the Europa hotel.

If you've a car at your disposal then the sky's the limit and there are plenty of websites devoted to doing NI by car.

If you're a fan of Georgian architecture then you will find Belfast a delight as the old buildings are still in place, hopefully they will remain so too, just remember to 'look up' when you stroll around :).

Last word of advice - the majority of the shops in the city centre here do not open on Sundays until 1.30pm...a legacy of the churches here having too much influence.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Never been, but I've heard on good authority that there's nothin' for us in Belfast, but there's the Trident in Bangor.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entertainment wise there's little to recommend In Belfast. Anybody arriving from England will already have had access to anything Belfast has to offer in general, the poor Titanic centre excepted.

Belfast City Centre does have some wonderful architecture however and if a visitor is walking around its well worth stopping and looking upwards. It gives an idea of the historical role of the city within the Empire
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the merchant for afteenoon tea is fab

Not been to it myself but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Apparently the City Hall tour is excellent as well by the way.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    Belfast City Centre does have some wonderful architecture however and if a visitor is walking around its well worth stopping and looking upwards. It gives an idea of the historical role of the city within the Empire

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Belfast's truly great architecture did indeed head skywards during the 1970s and 1980s...
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you climb to the top of the imposing Cavehill Mountain,( you can actually drive most of the way up) there are great views over Belfast , north Down and over to Scotland.
  • albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My girlfriend and I are planning to stay in Belfast for a few days next summer. We usually travel around the UK by car but are flying to NI. Can anyone answer a couple of questions:
    What are the best day coach excursions to the Giants Causeway?
    We would also like a day trip to Dublin. Are there fast coach/bus services that go from Belfast to Dublin?
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bus services to Dublin at Gt Victoria st station. Unfortunately there are a number of stops

Train from Central to Dublin Connolly, stops at Portadown, Newry, Drogheda.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albundy73 wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are planning to stay in Belfast for a few days next summer. We usually travel around the UK by car but are flying to NI. Can anyone answer a couple of questions:
    What are the best day coach excursions to the Giants Causeway?
    We would also like a day trip to Dublin. Are there fast coach/bus services that go from Belfast to Dublin?

If you are going to Dublin from Belfast then it's worth spending the night there. Maybe you could fly into Belfast then back home from Dublin?
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    w**kers want us to stay in the 1960s.

Think you have got your numbers mixed up, some are stuck in the 1690's :D

2 plus 2, did you get to Northern Ireland?
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went and returned. And since then a trip back up to Scotland (where I used to live) for the Commonwealth Games to boot!

Yeah I liked N.Ireland. I like it a lot. The people were great, curious to know about you, happy to help, welcomed us wherever we went. Belfast pubs are cool. No hassle or drama. The north coast was great. Touring the city by cab was an eye opener. Wrote on the peace wall. Stormont was impressive. Yeah, I'd recommend anyone to go there. It's really close by and has a lot to see and do.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you got over
    Did you travel up the Antrim Coast Road?
    It's been voted one of the best views in the World.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Went and returned. And since then a trip back up to Scotland (where I used to live) for the Commonwealth Games to boot!

Yeah I liked N.Ireland. I like it a lot. The people were great, curious to know about you, happy to help, welcomed us wherever we went. Belfast pubs are cool. No hassle or drama. The north coast was great. Touring the city by cab was an eye opener. Wrote on the peace wall. Stormont was impressive. Yeah, I'd recommend anyone to go there. It's really close by and has a lot to see and do.

Good, glad you enjoyed it. :)
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Countryside culture?? What...farmers, gay haters, traditional folk bloody greyhound racing or some shit? Sounds boring.

What could you possibly mean! There's such delights as;

Lamping!

GAA sir!

Signposts everywhere for old graveyards!

Vintage tractor runs every Sunday!

And many more :D