Options

BBC 1 HD Launch - Any news on this yet?

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattpinder wrote: »
    Anyone know when Bravo and Channel one are getting the chop? that would free up 2 rather juicy EPG numbers for BBC One HD! :D

BSkyB own those EPG slots, so they won't give them to the BBC!!
  • Options
    Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

Not even if the BBC allow Sky encrypt it and give it away free only to people with Sky world? :p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    lol! 226+ for BBC One HD then!

It wouldn't surprise me if the Beeb actually swapped EPG positions and put BBC One HD on 143.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if BBC bought one of the Showcase/Information TV slots (166, 189, 201, 203, 216) seeing as buying & selling EPG slots seems to be their main business, or Film24 (157) which is currently in administration pending sale of its EPG slot/content.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wouldn't surprise me if the Beeb actually swapped EPG positions and put BBC One HD on 143.

226 and 227 are for ITV 3 & 4 HD apparently, so probably 228?

Although, 141 and 142 are free I think.
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    any ideas if BBC will use 1920x1080 rather then 1440x1080 as used on soft HD channel BBC HD?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Harshad wrote: »
    any ideas if BBC will use 1920x1080 rather then 1440x1080 as used on soft HD channel BBC HD?

I don't know but I hope not as the bandwidth demands would be higher and we could see more compression artifacts, which I hate more than anything else.

1920x1080 isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all of a good HD picture.
  • Options
    Dave_DublinDave_Dublin Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    . . . probably 228?

Although, 141 and 142 are free I think.

141 / 142 are BBC ONE / BBC TWO in Ireland so they're not free.

Sky apparently don't allow the re-use of EPG positions in other regions (except the first 5 positions) or they'd have RTÉ ONE / RTÉ TWO on 141 / 142 in N.I. instead of 161 / 162
  • Options
    StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if BBC bought one of the Showcase/Information TV slots (166, 189, 201, 203, 216) seeing as buying & selling EPG slots seems to be their main business, or Film24 (157) which is currently in administration pending sale of its EPG slot/content.
    Surely as BBC One HD is a PSB channel, it will just be given the first empty slot on the EPG (as did BBC Alba).

Or don't HD channels get this privilege?
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know yet when BBC 1 HD launches, i thought it was going to be in time for Apprentice.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,178
    Forum Member
    201 would be good epg slot for BBC 1 HD I think
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    201 would be good epg slot for BBC 1 HD I think

I too think it really would be! 101 for BBC1 and 201 for BBC1 HD :)
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I know it won't happen but if Sky & the BBC, ITV, CH4 & CH5 got together and a gesture or deal was made we could see this:-

121 - BBC ONE HD
    122 - BBC HD (BBC 2/3/4/Cbeebies)
    123 - ITV1 HD
    124 - CHANNEL 4HD
    125 - five HD

Any thoughts???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who has a blue button that scrolls through favourites? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    So that's what its for. :D
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I know it won't happen but if Sky & the BBC, ITV, CH4 & CH5 got together and a gesture or deal was made we could see this:-

121 - BBC ONE HD
    122 - BBC HD (BBC 2/3/4/Cbeebies)
    123 - ITV1 HD
    124 - CHANNEL 4HD
    125 - five HD

Any thoughts???

If you check this post you can see that Sky are looking at swapping HD channels with their SD versions producing something akin to your suggestion.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    If that didn't happen, whatabout 101 to 199 as SD channels and 201 to 299 as HD?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely as BBC One HD is a PSB channel, it will just be given the first empty slot on the EPG (as did BBC Alba).

Does a HD simucast count as a PSB channel? I doubt BBC One HD will be able to show regional programmes, so that's one major part of BBC One's PSB remit which probably won't be met by the HD channel.
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was no real big deal when they added the 0 to the start of the radio programmes a few years ago so it would be simple enough for all the HD channels to start with, say, 1 and be the same as their HD equivalents e.g. 1101 for BBC1HD etc.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I've just noticed that Holby City will be in HD from 19th October, but obviously on BBC HD rather than BBC1 HD. I'm guessing the makers had anticipated that BBC1 HD would have launched by this point.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restorer wrote: »
    It was no real big deal when they added the 0 to the start of the radio programmes a few years ago so it would be simple enough for all the HD channels to start with, say, 1 and be the same as their HD equivalents e.g. 1101 for BBC1HD etc.

starting with 0 worked because no channels already started with zero.

The system will have trouble determining if you require a 3 digit channel starting with 1 or are in the process of typing a 4 digit number.

ie. type 111 and the system will not know if you have finished so will either have to wait or timeout thus making channel changes take longer :(

You could use 4 digit codes ie:

1010 for BBC 1
    1011 for BBC 1 HD
    1030 for ITV1
    1031 for ITV1 HD
    1040 for Ch4
    1041 for Ch4 HD
    1042 for Ch4 + 1

So exiting channels have a zero added to them so that each channel can have 9 sub-channels, this would never be implemented because of channel positions in the EPG, though to get around this they could put the existing 0 ending channels first in the EPG followed by the sub-channels.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd assume PSB HD channels will get the same privilege, so the BBC will probably get to use EPG 169.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be something or nothing ..... just prerusing the webcam on eastenders site (which has been off air since the Queen Vic fire) and it now says it will be back by 7th November - so the facelift for the QV must be completed. I know they film 3 months in advance - but maybe, just maybe.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst BBC1 having a HD alternative is good news, one problem is going to be that some of their top drawer drama still is not filmed in HD. Spooks for example.
  • Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gorilla69 wrote: »
    Whilst BBC1 having a HD alternative is good news, one problem is going to be that some of their top drawer drama still is not filmed in HD. Spooks for example.
    It is not a problem. They need the channel infrastructure in place to transmit HD content as it becomes available.