Options

Change network - number port across three phones - any pointers?

Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
Forum Member
I'm a little confused over all the processes here, so I'll try and keep it simple. Looking for either advice (or comfort)

For signal issues I am changing from O2 to 3. Simultaneously, I have taken the plunge and got an iPhone 5. My wife wants my iPhone 4.

The situation at present is:

The iPhone 5 is still in the box and the nano sim supplied is still in its packet.

However I have applied to 3 to port my number, via a PAC, which has been done today (as my current phone - the iPhone 4) has just switched off "no signal"

I have applied to O2 for a unlatch code for the ihone 4 so it can be used on the 3 network . My wife already has the micro sim (again unsealed) from 3.

She will be giving up her iPhone 3 eventually, which is currently active with its O" mirco sim.

What order should I do things?

Should I set up my iPhone 5 via iTunes, then wipe the iPhone 4. Then put my wife's new 3 sim into it and set it up.

Or the other way round. Should I try to unlock the iPhone 4 with my wifes sim on her iTunes account first. (or should it be done through my iTunes first?

Any pitfalls.

Sorry if this is confusing. I appreciate any help givem.

Comments

• Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to setup the iPhone 4 with the Three SIM until the unlatch process is complete. it will simply fail activation.

On iOS 5 and above you don't need iTunes to unlock an iPhone. You just need an internet connection on the phone, either cellular or Wi-Fi.

When you get the unlatch confirmation from O2, simply put the Three SIM in the iPhone 4 and after a few seconds it will prompt you to go through the activation process. It will then re-activate as an unlocked handset.

Until then, migrating your data over to the iPhone 5 and wiping your data from the 4 in preparation for giving it to your wife is the most logical step to take.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Roush

I'm most grateful. Thank you for clarifying this for me.