Tim Westwood to leave Radio 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian "reviews" Westwood's Radio 1 show:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/aug/02/tim-westwood-radio-review

Linked in the article is an interview from 2000 when Westwood claimed to be 27:

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2000/nov/01/features11.g22

He seems to be completely sincere and dedicated to hip-hop, however risible his accent and attitude may be. It's ironic that in modern radio, a DJ with sound musical taste and knowledge is valued less than one who can chat inanely about fashion, what's on telly, or just general meaningless waffle.
  • Options
    StillStill Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Just to add here that I saw him in the street outside my work yesterday. He appeared to be mumbling to himself.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    He can't be on Capital, he wouldn't be allowed to play the music he loves on that station. Choice FM would be better, since you're allowed to play a lot of hip hop there.
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wouldn't do Capital's 3-6am slots... 10-12 on choice would suit him better.
  • Options
    Cymon HCymon H Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As he is good friends with Gordon Mac what about MI-Soul if they ever get on DAB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He wouldn't do Capital's 3-6am slots... 10-12 on choice would suit him better.

I agree. Not to mention, Capital listeners aren't the type that would like hip hop, etc. anyway, I just can't see any logical reason why he would go on Capital.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    In fact he sounds middle class on this clip taken from LWR in July 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mokk6JqdWr0

Ha ha, yes! Nice one! Nobody beat the Mighty Mike Allen though! He has a cool Facebook fanclub now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    I can remember listening to Tim Westwood when he was working at London pirate radio station LWR in the mid 1980s. This was back when his accent didn't sound false. In fact he sounds middle class on this clip taken from LWR in July 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mokk6JqdWr0

I still think LWR was one of the best pirate stations that ever existed and it was a sad day in 1988 (or was it 1989?) when the station closed down.

Ha ha, yeah I remember him there too, LWR 92.5FM... It was brilliant.. "best in London Town" and yes, he had a squeaky voice but he was dropping the knowledge and he really is an expert in the field.

Met him once, damn he is TALL!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I agree. Not to mention, Capital listeners aren't the type that would like hip hop, etc. anyway, I just can't see any logical reason why he would go on Capital.

Again - Capital was home to Mike Allen in the 80's.

Best Hip Hop DJ Ever (on the radio)
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's nice, but it's a completely different station now.

Even in 2009 back when it was called Galaxy FM it used to play hip hop in the day-times. But now it's verging on adult contemporary, it plays stuff like Kelly Clarkson, Calvin Harris, Lady Gaga, Armin Van Buuren, Pink, etc. all day.

To put it into perspective, N***** in Paris, probably the biggest club hit of this decade so far, I have not heard, not even once, on Capital. It is seriously not the place for Tim Westwood, he might as well get a show on Classic FM.
    Met him once, damn he is TALL!!!

I've seen him a few times in clubs, but never really got to evaluate his height since he's usually higher up than the audience anyway. His face always looked different than I expected though, but I think it's probably because of the lighting more than anything. However, he acts exactly the same as he does on the radio haha. Everybody at my uni gets so excited whenever he comes to do a night over here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's nice, but it's a completely different station now.

Even in 2009 back when it was called Galaxy FM it used to play hip hop in the day-times. But now it's verging on adult contemporary, it plays stuff like Kelly Clarkson, Calvin Harris, Lady Gaga, Armin Van Buuren, Pink, etc. all day.

To put it into perspective, N***** in Paris, probably the biggest club hit of this decade so far, I have not heard, not even once, on Capital. It is seriously not the place for Tim Westwood, he might as well get a show on Classic FM.

I've seen him a few times in clubs, but never really got to evaluate his height since he's usually higher up than the audience anyway. His face always looked different than I expected though, but I think it's probably because of the lighting more than anything. However, he acts exactly the same as he does on the radio haha. Everybody at my uni gets so excited whenever he comes to do a night over here.

'Paris' was playlisted on the late show a while back.
    Also, they had Sacha Brooks doing an urban show on the network (till June last year). I don't know the official reason as to why both her and Mash was dropped; other than it doesn't fit with the station's image.
  • Options
    didasdidas Posts: 122
    Forum Member

Yes indeed. Mike Allen's show on Capital was the best hip-hop show. Dave Pearce or Westwood didn't come close for the variety and originality of the music played.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Paris' was playlisted on the late show a while back.

Their playlist means nothing. Jack by Breach is currently on their playlist, but I've never heard them play it.

Capital refusing to play such a massive rhythmic hit like Paris just says it all really. Not the place for Tim Westwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their playlist means nothing. Jack by Breach is currently on their playlist, but I've never heard them play it.

Capital refusing to play such a massive rhythmic hit like Paris just says it all really. Not the place for Tim Westwood.

I've heard them play it quite a few times. Mostly in the evenings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guess I'm right!! He's joining Choice FM next Saturday!!

"@TimWestwood: from next Saturday 9pm till 11pm catch me on @ChoiceFM - the hottest show on radio #WestwoodChoiceFM21stSept"