Great British Sewing Bee 8pm BBC2

Comments

• J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I follow a couple of sewing blogs and through one of those discovered that Alex also has a sewing blog - 'Sewrendipity'. I have only had a quick glance at it but she seems quite accomplished. She did an interview for the blog that I read and said that nerves and particularly the time factor were the biggest problems. If anyone is interested in reading her interview it's in the 'Did You Make That' blog. There are no big revelations (not allowed to say too much) but it is interesting. I agree that she didn't really use enough of the original jacket but it did look so good that I can see why they would overlook that.
    I loved last nights episode - went by far too quickly though. Loved Claudia - she always looks like she is having fun. Loved her evil grin when she said 6 and 1/2 mintues behind an already frazzled Annie. Having said that I was sorry to see Annie go but feel it was the time factor that did for her.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Claudia, both on this and on SCD.
    Can't see what the fuss is all about re Patrick...... with or without the face fuzz :p
    I don't really like to see men on the GBSB or TGBBO it just doesn't feel right somehow :confused: However; Neil was the best last night, by a country mile.
    Alex is stunning looking but I fear she'll be a whinger :o
    Poor Annie, but it was the correct decision.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I make bobbin lace and one of the best lacemakers is a 60 plus year-old man living in Australia. He even takes his lace pillow into the outback when he goes on his annual walkabout. Once saw a photo of him making lace while sitting naked in a river (nothing on view) with his lace pillow resting on a rock in the middle of the river. One of the best lace designers (sadly recently passed away) was a man, and some of the best knitters, sewers and bakers are men.

I have no problem with anyone of either gender of any age doing these things.

Really impressed with the standard last night - is it just me or are the contestants much more competent than last year?

My favourite so far is Neil, the soldier, and least liked is Lorna. Just something about her - think she comes across as a bit too confident.

Neil's garment of the week was just soooooo perfect in fit and finish.

Only disappointment for me is that one programme has gone and there are only five more. Wonder how they're going to whittle ten down to three in only six weeks. Does that mean two drop out or there are two double eliminations?
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I make bobbin lace and one of the best lacemakers is a 60 plus year-old man living in Australia. He even takes his lace pillow into the outback when he goes on his annual walkabout. Once saw a photo of him making lace while sitting naked in a river (nothing on view) with his lace pillow resting on a rock in the middle of the river. One of the best lace designers (sadly recently passed away) was a man, and some of the best knitters, sewers and bakers are men.

Really impressed with the standard last night - is it just me or are the contestants much more competent than last year?

My favourite so far is Neil, the soldier, and least liked is Lorna. Just something about her - think she comes across as a bit too confident.

Only disappointment for me is that one programme has gone and there are only five more. Wonder how they're going to whittle ten down to three in only six weeks. Does that mean two drop out or there are two double eliminations?

I agree that men are more than able to do needlework of any kind. I was at a miniatures fair a couple of years ago and saw an example of miniature lace knitting that had been done by a man. It was exquisite - and that is not a word I use lightly, but it was. It was maybe 6 inches across, a very intricate design, round so knitted on four needles, it had been knitted in incredibly fine silk thread (finer than ordinary sewing thread) so the needles must have been finer than ordinary sewing needles. just the thought of even trying something like that has my fingers knotted and my eyes crossed!
    I agree about Neils dress. loved the style and it was definitely the best. Not sure I like him though. There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance and he crossed it a couple of times for me. He has the skill though so can see him being in the final at least.
    I was disappointed that it is only six episodes long. Maybe they have a walkout - or someone just give up for some reason?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Is Lorna the tall grey haired woman who made the dress with the poppies? I don't like her either. She comes across as quite affected and seems to be hamming it up for the cameras.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know men are accomplished sewists and cooks, I think it's because they somehow come across as less "gossipy" which puts me off a bit. I have no problem with their gender per se, just that they need to be a bit more chatty for me :D ( shallow or what?? ) :blush:
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see what the fuss is all about re Patrick...... with or without the face fuzz :p
    I don't really like to see men on the GBSB or TGBBO it just doesn't feel right somehow :confused: However; Neil was the best last night, by a country mile.

That's rather a sexist remark! Many men are very accomplished at a wide range of needlecrafts and have been for centuries. My friends FIL did tatting all his life and made the most exquisite items. His son makes all the curtains, pelmets etc in their house and has done for years. He also restores cars and makes all the leather seats himself.

I have known scores of elderly men who knit socks and other items because they picked it up when they were in the services.

I think it's great that men are both judging and competing on GBSB. And to me it does feel right!:)
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Just watched it! Spent last night trying to clear sink at daughters which was disgusting and when I got home and remembered I hadn't recorded this, I could have cried. Not so keen watching it on lappy.

However, I think we have three finalists already - soldier man, older lady with short grey hair and young (possibly Polish/Romanian) girl. Think they already stand out as more accomplished. I love seeing men do this stuff - especially when they are 'big tough guys' (allegedly) like policeman in previous. My hubby is a far better cook than me, and when I am dressmaking, he has some really clever ideas too. He has a great eye (course he does, he chose me!!)

Loved it though - Claudia is terrific, Patrick and May wonderful and the contestants all yet to be got to known if you know what I mean!
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    That's rather a sexist remark! Many men are very accomplished at a wide range of needlecrafts and have been for centuries. My friends FIL did tatting all his life and made the most exquisite items. His son makes all the curtains, pelmets etc in their house and has done for years. He also restores cars and makes all the leather seats himself.

I have known scores of elderly men who knit socks and other items because they picked it up when they were in the services.

I think it's great that men are both judging and competing on GBSB. And to me it does feel right!:)

It feels right to me too. In fact it would be odd if men weren't there.

I have several ancestors who were tailors. My dad was quite good at knitting too (he learned in the navy).

It was a great first show of the series last night though I'm already sad there are so few episodes :(
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a very strange remark. Most of the best tailors are male (and that involves very complex sewing skills) and the majority of couture designers are also male and, even if they may no longer sew, they most certainly know about garment construction and the way fabric 'works'. I am delighted to see more male contestants on GBSB and do not see why sewing should be seen as a solely female preserve.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Sal*UK wrote: »
    However, I think we have three finalists already - soldier man, older lady with short grey hair and young (possibly Polish/Romanian) girl.

I'm not sure about the Romanian woman, she was in the running to be sent home last night, so she'll have to really pull her socks up to stay in. Definitely the soldier, and maybe the other man (not the youngest one though)
    Forum Member
    Sal*UK wrote: »
    Just watched it! Spent last night trying to clear sink at daughters which was disgusting and when I got home and remembered I hadn't recorded this, I could have cried. Not so keen watching it on lappy.

However, I think we have three finalists already - soldier man, older lady with short grey hair and young (possibly Polish/Romanian) girl. Think they already stand out as more accomplished. I love seeing men do this stuff - especially when they are 'big tough guys' (allegedly) like policeman in previous. My hubby is a far better cook than me, and when I am dressmaking, he has some really clever ideas too. He has a great eye (course he does, he chose me!!)

Loved it though - Claudia is terrific, Patrick and May wonderful and the contestants all yet to be got to known if you know what I mean!
    I watch it live, but also put it on series record as soon as it appeared in the guide on the TV - just in case! There's no way I'm boing to miss it.

Got the previous series recorded as well - and I do re-watch them occasionally.
    Forum Member
    First episode being repeated on BBC2 today at 5.45 pm.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I thought that Anya, I think because they loved the actual skirt they waived this um, minor detail?

I thought this too. The original garment was really only used as a trimming. There were one or two others which were much better. I think if I was one of the other contestants I'd feel a bit cheated by that decision.

Really enjoyed the programme. Favourites so far are the army bloke and the lady with the short silver hair. Also hope the young lad does well. Shame about the Scottish lady going, but I think it was the right decision.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this too. The original garment was really only used as a trimming. There were one or two others which were much better. I think if I was one of the other contestants I'd feel a bit cheated by that decision.

Really enjoyed the programme. Favourites so far are the army bloke and the lady with the short silver hair. Also hope the young lad does well. Shame about the Scottish lady going, but I think it was the right decision.

Yes, Neil and lovely air hostess lady were early stand outs for me too. I also LOVE the idea of using weights rather than pins! I haven't sewn since I was aged 10, when I can't believe I chose a stretchy shorts jump suit.... in maroon crimplene! (nice! :D) After the last series and an unexpected friendly donation of a lovely old sewing machine, I was inspired to send off for a simple shift dress pattern. In my head I was already planning pinning out on the floor! What I'd completely forgotten, was that in the 48 years since - my knees are completely knackered! :p No excuse, will just have to try and stretch my short body up high and across the table instead!!
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    I love adapting clothes I have, e.g. when you might previously have considered throwing them away if a part is worn out. Nothing to lose and it can be quite fun! For instance, from a cauduroy sleeveless dress I had (that was too tight around the bust eventually) I made a tunic top (from the lower part).
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember in previous years the finalists didn't feature much in the early episodes, because we would see a lot of them later in the series. Based on this, I think Neil may come a cropper and Neela may work her way through in much the same way as Heather did last year.
    Forum Member
    Yes, Neil and lovely air hostess lady were early stand outs for me too. I also LOVE the idea of using weights rather than pins! I haven't sewn since I was aged 10, when I can't believe I chose a stretchy shorts jump suit.... in maroon crimplene! (nice! :D) After the last series and an unexpected friendly donation of a lovely old sewing machine, I was inspired to send off for a simple shift dress pattern. In my head I was already planning pinning out on the floor! What I'd completely forgotten, was that in the 48 years since - my knees are completely knackered! :p No excuse, will just have to try and stretch my short body up high and across the table instead!!
    I can't kneel and my table's too small. I have a folding corrugated cardboard cutting board that I got second hand and put it on a double bed.

As I also can't lean well, I can slide the board around on the bed so I can pin and cut fairly close to me.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but 3 hours should be plenty of time to make a pair of cotton trousers..,???
    I do like what they've made though. I'd wear the older lady's one...the one with the colourful flowers on.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my... Some of the material choices :a the patterns are hideous. I once again prefer Lorna's fabric, but I also like the cherries too .
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't kneel and my table's too small. I have a folding corrugated cardboard cutting board that I got second hand and put it on a double bed.

As I also can't lean well, I can slide the board around on the bed so I can pin and cut fairly close to me.

What a good idea. A double bed's a much better height and with plenty of space to spread out and manoeuvre around. I had no idea these existed - Amazon do them for just 8 pounds free delivery. Thanks Janet! :)
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there just 6 episodes last year too? I can't remember.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 episodes last year if I remember rightly :confused: don't know why it's changed :confused:
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Was there just 6 episodes last year too? I can't remember.
    There were four programmes in Series One. Eight competitors. One left and one eliminated in programme one. Two competitors were eliminated in the second programme and one in episode three. There were three finalists in week four.

The second series last year was eight programmes. Ten contestants. One left (Cliff) in week one, then one eliminated each week until three in the final in week eight.

This year there are six programmes. Don't know what the planned elimination sequence is for this year, but it obviously can't be one a week with ten contestants unless and additional two just leave.

However long the series is, it isn't long enough!!
    Forum Member
    What a good idea. A double bed's a much better height and with plenty of space to spread out and manoeuvre around. I had no idea these existed - Amazon do them for just 8 pounds free delivery. Thanks Janet! :)
    Mine is an old one. I understand the new ones are smaller and not so sturdy, but should still be useful if you haven't got any other suitable space. The printed markings on it make getting the fabric and pattern pieces straight much easier.