Options

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2010 Countdown Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭✭
seeing as the 2009 edition is aready out, lets hope the 2010 edition is better, assuming the bbc dosent go into administration:)

so far the 2009 edition has had 2 covers, Strictly and Dalek and loads of people wanted more christmassy design n the pages, so bear this in mind, BBC

hopefully this will be pulled from the dead in september

Comments

• Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main question for next year will be what dates will be the Christmas Issue as next Year Christmas Day lands on a Saturday.

Will the issue cover the period December 18, 2010 to December 31, 2010 or December 25, 2010 to January 7, 2011?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can I make some predictions?

3am The Queen
    an animated movie
    Doctor Who
    2 episode of Eastenders (or 1 x 1 hour episode)
    The real last ever Gavin & Stacey
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    can I make some predictions?

3am The Queen
    an animated movie
    Doctor Who
    2 episode of Eastenders (or 1 x 1 hour episode)
    The real last ever Gavin & Stacey

What the Queen at 3 in the morning? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok 3pm The Queens Speech
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    The main question for next year will be what dates will be the Christmas Issue as next Year Christmas Day lands on a Saturday.

Will the issue cover the period December 18, 2010 to December 31, 2010 or December 25, 2010 to January 7, 2011?

In previous years, the DOuble Issue has covered 18-31 December with a seperate 1-7 Jan Issue.

They have, in the days of fewer channels, issued a 15-Day Issue covering 18 Dec - 1 Jan. But i dont think we'll see that again.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    In previous years, the DOuble Issue has covered 18-31 December with a seperate 1-7 Jan Issue.

They have, in the days of fewer channels, issued a 15-Day Issue covering 18 Dec - 1 Jan. But i dont think we'll see that again.

Nothing to do with fewer channels- those were the days of pubic service. Now they'll always leave it as 14 days because they can get more sales for the next issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Pubic service is a new one!

Fewer channels will mean fewer schedule entries and pages. An additional day would either eat into editorial and features or add to cost, and it isn't liek the whole UK closes down over the Christmas/New Year break like it used to. The shops will be open as 12.01am on Boxing Day and it is business as usual.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    :eek: Jumping the gun a bit aren't we? The 2010 RT double issue is 51 weeks away!
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes bit early starting this one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always be prepared, maybe we will see another royal family xmas special?
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would anyone like an Easter Double Issue ?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    :eek: Jumping the gun a bit aren't we? The 2010 RT double issue is 51 weeks away!

Well they start working on the Christmas programmes in February at the BBC so not too premature
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sweet Jesus! You lot:rolleyes:

I jokingly said to someone when talking about DS that this thread would appear on Boxing Day. I was 2 weeks early.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Well they start working on the Christmas programmes in February at the BBC so not too premature

So explain why Xmas TV is so full of garbage if they start planning that early?:D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should do a triple issue?

Or change it so it doesn't run Saturday to Friday over Christmas?
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always be prepared, maybe we will see another royal family xmas special?

Yep, you will see that on Christmas Day at 3pm.

Not sure about the Royle Family though? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if C4 had not axed Wife Swap, I think we might have actually seen Royal Wife Swap, as suggested in the Radio Times
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

How do you mean ?

For some programmes, the work begins more than two years before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe the queen will jump the tyne in a mini?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stearn wrote: »
    Pubic service is a new one!

Fewer channels will mean fewer schedule entries and pages. An additional day would either eat into editorial and features or add to cost, and it isn't liek the whole UK closes down over the Christmas/New Year break like it used to. The shops will be open as 12.01am on Boxing Day and it is business as usual.

And I'm usually so careful with my typing, especially with words like that.

Hardly new, though... Stop!
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So explain why Xmas TV is so full of garbage if they start planning that early?:D

Most 'ordinary weeks' through the year have more to watch than the 'Festive schedules'..........:rolleyes:
    I think the line up this year is laughable.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just going throught the radio times til 18/12 i gets worse by the day, i hope the 2010 runup gets better
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »

Yes, I have a Christmas TV Times from 1994 with listings between 17th December to 31st December. I think this was the last time the TV listings magazines have done this.

I didn't really see much point in them doing this though as the week before Christmas the listings where just like a normal weekday schedule. It wasn't until 22nd December that the Christmas schedules kicked in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    just going throught the radio times til 18/12 i gets worse by the day, i hope the 2010 runup gets better

I agree. The run up to Christmas on most of the channels, there appears to be nothing shown to get you in the festive mood. Ok, ITV2 are showing Christmas movies and this week Five are showing a couple of festive films in the afternoon, but hardly anything to get you in the festive spirit.

I remember in 1994 BBC2 shown a season of early morning B&W classics, mostly all Christmas themed films in the run up to Christmas. The season started at the end of November and ran through to the end of December. I'd love to see a season like that again :)

Instead this year, we seem to have good old Flog It! and Homes Under the Hammer to get us in the mood. The BBC are obsessed with these shows. To show them over Christmas, is just not acceptable.