EastEnders - Shane Richie hints his days in Albert Square are over

KBambiKBambi Posts: 3,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-star-shane-richie-hints-5632335

Eastenders star Shane Richie has hinted that his days at Walford are over for good.

Shane, who plays cheeky Alfie Moon, said: “I’m out of it now ... you’ll see.”

Alfie is leaving the BBC soap to get his own six-part spin-off with screen wife Kat, played by Jessie Wallace, 41.

In it they move to Ireland to leave behind their troubled past, including affairs and Kat being injured when Alfie set fire to their home .

But Shane, 51, said this time there will be no return to EastEnders.

Work lined up includes BBC drama Moving On, where he is the love interest of Julie Hesmondhalgh, 45, who played Hayley Cropper in rival soap Coronation Street.

Speaking at the Downton Abbey Centre Point Ball, Shane said of EastEnders: “It’s really nice because Alfie is not in it.” Shane also let slip he thinks there is little to choose between EastEnders and Corrie.

He said: “Julie and I were talking about the differences and there isn’t any. We all have the same angst, the same commitment, the same passion for our shows.”

Shane arrived in Albert Square in 2002, and became one of it’s *best-loved characters. He left in 2005 but was back five years later.

Comments

• 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep breaths Retro!
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame Kat and Alfie was brought back really... They came back and was immediately thrust into that horrible baby swap SL and they never recovered.

Should have been left in the 00's...
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see anything there that suggests he won't be back down the line?

"I'm out of it now.." well we already knew that.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they'll be back. I don't see the point of the spin off if they aren't coming back. I assumed it could have been so Jessie and Shane could do other things in the break?
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    I can't see anything there that suggests he won't be back down the line?

"I'm out of it now.." well we already knew that.

Further down he says "this time there will be no return to Eastenders". That sounds to me like he won't be back at all.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am hoping this it for Alfie but I would like to see Kat return but both Shane & Jessie are loyal to each other so if Shane says he won't be back and neither will Jessie. There is also no need for Mo now but what is next for Stacey?
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Deep breaths Retro!

Why?

Do you think i'll die without Alfie?

He will always be in my heart and Shane is currently presenting Decimate on weekday afternoons and has filmed a prog with Hayley from Corrie and then there's the spin-off so it's not like I won't ever see him again is it?

Besides i'll be able to get more things done if i'm not glued to this forum arguing about Alfie/Shane or watching EE.

Anyway he'll be back once the work dries up!
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat will come back on her own.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    I hope Kat returns.
  • Rich_WilsonRich_Wilson Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I don't really understand the point of a spin-off show if they're not coming back.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Thank **** for that. I hope Kat returns in a few years alone.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    KBambi wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-star-shane-richie-hints-5632335

Eastenders star Shane Richie has hinted that his days at Walford are over for good.

Shane, who plays cheeky Alfie Moon, said: “I’m out of it now ... you’ll see.”

Alfie is leaving the BBC soap to get his own six-part spin-off with screen wife Kat, played by Jessie Wallace, 41.

In it they move to Ireland to leave behind their troubled past, including affairs and Kat being injured when Alfie set fire to their home .

But Shane, 51, said this time there will be no return to EastEnders.

Work lined up includes BBC drama Moving On, where he is the love interest of Julie Hesmondhalgh, 45, who played Hayley Cropper in rival soap Coronation Street.

Speaking at the Downton Abbey Centre Point Ball, Shane said of EastEnders: “It’s really nice because Alfie is not in it.” Shane also let slip he thinks there is little to choose between EastEnders and Corrie.

He said: “Julie and I were talking about the differences and there isn’t any. We all have the same angst, the same commitment, the same passion for our shows.”

Shane arrived in Albert Square in 2002, and became one of it’s *best-loved characters. He left in 2005 but was back five years later.

Yes! At last he's gone! Thank **** for that. I'm so glad :D I'd like Kat to come back without him.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Why?

He will always be in my heart and Shane is currently presenting Decimate on weekday afternoons and has filmed a prog with Hayley from Corrie and then there's the spin-off so it's not like I won't ever see him again is it?

Besides i'll be able to get more things done if i'm not glued to this forum arguing about Alfie/Shane or watching EE.

You only watch Eastenders or come on here just for him? There's so much more than Alfie.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?

Nah; I'm just being daft as usual. :)
    Forum Member
    It doesn't say Jessie isn't returning so maybe she will come back, maybe Alfie dies or something.

This is intriguing though because in Saturday's Sun tv mag Shane was saying that he loved being Alfie and that he was committed to EE so he's changed his tune since that interview, still, to me he will always be a silly comedian/entertainer and gameshow host before silly Alfie Moon.

I bet if things don't work out he'll back knocking on the EE producer's door asking for a return for the silly old duffer!
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    You only watch Eastenders or come on here just for him? There's so much more than Alfie.

So what if I did?

Would that be wrong?

You couldn't give a toss about Shane or Alfie so you don't even know how I feel!
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Nah; I'm just being daft as usual. :)

No you're not daft!

At least you acknowledged the fact that this news would bother me no one else did!
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Shane means he's out of it for now and the Mirror are just putting a spin on it for headlines
  • paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry Alfie fans - the bit about him never returning is NOT in quotation marks so Shane didn't actually say it. This is just the Mirror stirring as usual. I think Alfie will be back. :)
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »
    I think Shane means he's out of it for now and the Mirror are just putting a spin on it for headlines

That could be possible.

He is out of it now as I think he and Jessie have finished filming.

It is a turnaround as I have already mentioned that Sun tv mag ran a mini interview with Shane this Saturday gone and he said that he and Jessie are committed to EE and he loves being Alfie but that interview might have been done some weeks ago though, I do hope he and Kat do return even if only for a guest appearance.
    Forum Member
    paxton7 wrote: »
    Don't worry Alfie fans - the bit about him never returning is NOT in quotation marks so Shane didn't actually say it. This is just the Mirror stirring as usual. I think Alfie will be back. :)

Ah well, that sounds like the paper saying that then, they do like to sensationalise don't they?

I hope he does come back!
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope for Kat's sake that they don't kill Alfie off. Even if they find her son (which I imagine they will in Ireland) and he's happy to have her in his life, he's 31 and will have his own life and possibly his own children. He won't want to be helping his long lost mother bring up his three half brothers.

Kat is having enough misery heaped on her at the moment, she deserves her final happily ever after.
  • wilpeepwilpeep Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I don't really get the point of this spin-off show. Is there any demand for it? Are there any more stories to tell between the two?
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »
    I just hope for Kat's sake that they don't kill Alfie off. Even if they find her son (which I imagine they will in Ireland) and he's happy to have her in his life, he's 31 and will have his own life and possibly his own children. He won't want to be helping his long lost mother bring up his three half brothers.

Kat is having enough misery heaped on her at the moment, she deserves her final happily ever after.

I don't want Alfie to die either, Kat needs him to lean on and the kids need a dad and I know Alfie isn't perfect and has bollocksed up big time in recent times but he and Kat love each other and they deserve a happy ending!:-)
    Forum Member
    wilpeep wrote: »
    I don't really get the point of this spin-off show. Is there any demand for it? Are there any more stories to tell between the two?

Of course there's a point to the spin-off!

Kat and Alfie go to Ireland, possibly to try and find her son.

I don't know if there's a demand for such a show but DTC seems to feel they deserve one anyway!

There does seem to be more to tell with these characters hence the spin-off!