moving contacts from old to new phone?

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
I'm finally getting a new phone in the next 2 weeks. Either iPhone or android (tbc this week)
I have a nexus 4 (4.4.4 kitkat). It has the google People app, which contains all my contacts.
I can't see how to move these to a new phone. I'm clueless here (old) so simple instructions would be great.
Also to move my photos as a single mass, rather than select individually and email them to myself.
Is it easier to sync a nexus 4 with an android phone rather than an iPhone? I use gmail also, which I've heard can be a problem on iPhones to set up full functionality. thanks

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go Android to Android then as long as you log in with the same Google account you should be ok if you have sync set up. Not sure about iPhone but I seem to recall when I last had an iPhone I was ok as well.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    thank you

I'm from the generation that saved everything to a SIM, then moved the SIM into the new phone - but of course iPhones have nano SIMs.
    By the time my phone dies, I'll have made a decision which new phone to get :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    back them up to dropbox.
    I'm finally getting a new phone in the next 2 weeks. Either iPhone or android (tbc this week)
    I have a nexus 4 (4.4.4 kitkat). It has the google People app, which contains all my contacts.
    I can't see how to move these to a new phone. I'm clueless here (old) so simple instructions would be great.
    Also to move my photos as a single mass, rather than select individually and email them to myself.
    Is it easier to sync a nexus 4 with an android phone rather than an iPhone? I use gmail also, which I've heard can be a problem on iPhones to set up full functionality. thanks
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    thank you

I'm from the generation that saved everything to a SIM, then moved the SIM into the new phone - but of course iPhones have nano SIMs.
    By the time my phone dies, I'll have made a decision which new phone to get :D
    You cannot really do that now with ANY smartphone! SIM contact storage is very limited in both number of contacts AND the characters available for each - so could not hold the "full name and address" style of contacts!
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contacts - export from phone app

Then connect to PC via USB cable and copy exported file and photos

Then reverse it when you get your new phne

If you getting a new android you can copy phone longs and messages as well with SMS Backup and restore and phone backup and restore from play store
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    redtux wrote: »
    Contacts - export from phone app
    Not needed normally! Android (and iPhone) prefer to keep their contacts on a server (Googe Mail, Outlook etc.) and will just download to any new device.
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If getting an iPhone simply login to your google account in the mail/calendar/contacts section of Settings and all your google contacts will be synced from the google server, much in the same way you log into your google account with an android phone when switching on for the first time.