Options

Could Rebecca have won with a different mentor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
It seems that a lot of people did not vote for the girl from Liverpool because they could not stand the idea of Cheryl having a hat trick win.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read lots of times on here and other places that although they liked Rebecca, people would not vote for her to give Cheryl the hat trick.

Not sure how much difference it would have made, I guess that depends who they voted for instead, or if at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I don't understand people who vote for the alleged mentor and not the act. I think all that mentor stuff is for the cameras. Cheryl has people to mix with the plebs and she concentrates on the photo ops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She would have won with Dannii or Louis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I have an inkling that they went with the slow burner approach with Rebecca but did not expect the Matt following. She also didnt preform the "moment" song as well as the producers would of liked. If Amazing grace had been sweet dreams she may have done it. Going by the figures it may have worked out it the show had gone on for two more weeks as Rebecca was starting to close in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely, she's been given sh*t songs on the series and the lack of variety of songs also play a part. She should've been given uptempo on earlier live shows, instead of ballads for 6 weeks straight, to avoid being called one trick pony -- and none of them were modern songs. Katie and Cher, however were given both uptempo and ballads - just shows how Cheryl's been prioritizing her mini-me and Weasel throughout the series. :mad:

Her first uptempo number was during week 8 (Rock week) and on previous weeks, she's given 2 midtempo songs and 6 ballads. Any other mentor would've been better for her than Cheryl IMO.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not even sure just how much of a mentor Cheryl was to Rebecca. Louis seemed to be alot more supportive of Rebecca than her, he has certainly been much more vocal in his belief and support of Rebecca in the last few weeks.

I think that Rebecca may have won it had Dannii or Louis been her assigned mentor. It makes me wonder with all the posts on here of people voting for Matt because they wanted Dannii to win just how much of Matt's votes were down to the fact that Dannii was his mentor.
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure. If anything I think it was her perceieved lack of personality that stopped her gaining extra votes, not sure that would have been any different whichever mentor.

If you look at Leona (similar personality IMO) she didn't beat Ray by much of a margin and she was MILES more talented, I think there was perceived lack of personalit issues there too.

Charisma can carry people further than talent alone.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. If anything I think it was her perceieved lack of personality that stopped her gaining extra votes, not sure that would have been any different whichever mentor.

If you look at Leona (similar personality IMO) she didn't beat Leon by much of a margin and she was MILES more talented, I think there was perceived lack of personalit issues there too.

Charisma can carry people further than talent alone.

Leon? She beat Ray in the final?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scar123 wrote: »
    I have an inkling that they went with the slow burner approach with Rebecca but did not expect the Matt following. She also didnt preform the "moment" song as well as the producers would of liked. If Amazing grace had been sweet dreams she may have done it. Going by the figures it may have worked out it the show had gone on for two more weeks as Rebecca was starting to close in.

Based on the voting figures, she started to close in on the gap during the final. Does it mean she's picking up floating voters' votes.
    :confused:
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brussels wrote: »
    Definitely, she's been given sh*t songs on the series and the lack of variety of songs also play a part. She should've been given uptempo on earlier live shows, instead of ballads for 6 weeks straight, to avoid being called one trick pony -- and none of them were modern songs. Katie and Cher, however were given both uptempo and ballads - just shows how Cheryl's been prioritizing her mini-me and Weasel throughout the series. :mad:

Her first uptempo number was during week 8 (Rock week) and on previous weeks, she's given 2 midtempo songs and 6 ballads. Any other mentor would've been better for her than Cheryl IMO.

Yes Cheryl did not vary her song choices at all. Easily her best performances were Show Me Love and Sweet Dreams. Unfortunately, those performances came far too late in the series and Matt had built up such a support network by then that meant that Rebecca was never going to be able to catch him up in the votes.
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Leon? She beat Ray in the final?

Oops, edited. I always get those two the wrong way round. They blend in to 1 for me :o
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca is actually quite suited to up-tempo tracks as Sweet Dreams demonstrated.

She had a few shaking and rather dull slow temp performances in the first 8 weeks - she got her first proper up tempo in week 9 - seems like a mistake.

To be fair I think Rebecca was begging for up-tempo, I think she must have stood her ground for the Eurythmics track - was that a late change?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FernandoM wrote: »
    It seems that a lot of people did not vote for the girl from Liverpool because they could not stand the idea of Cheryl having a hat trick win.

More people liked Matt. It is that simple.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I think it very strange to vote for someone else or not vote at all purely because of a dislike of the mentor.

And I don't actually think there are enough of such "strange" people to have given the win to Rebecca.

However what is more possible is that with a different mentor Rebecca might have been given more variety in her songs ( whle I did like her I wondered if there she had in fact more difference she could have shown, more to give ) and actually her stage confidence really improved to give much more meaning to the almost weekly rerfrain "I think my confidence is getting better"

i.e. maybe there was a mentor that would have dione better with her and rightly or wrongly we know many folk think Cheryl concentrated much more on Cher.

Although i did vote for Matt from the final 2 just on what I saw overall, I can't help feeling that we didn't overall see the best from Rebecca.

So, for that reason, maybe, not for being anti-Cheryl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ballyclark wrote: »
    More people liked Matt. It is that simple.

People could like her better than Matt if she was given better and more variety of songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an impossible question really, I mean who knows. Maybe it's a fairer thing to guess whether she would have won had Cheryl given her the same level of attention as Chair and Kat weasel, and having seen the voting figures, I really don't think she would have. Matt had it in the bag right from the off by the look of it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I think it's very possible.. She suffered from three things

- not getting really confident with her performances, and not always spot on song choices - another mentor may have served her better there

- a personal anti-Cheryl backlash (considered the favoured one by Simon, and losing some of her personal likeability this year)

- an anti-manipulation vote - the perceived hyping of Katie and Cher and throwing other acts to the wolves, the preferential order of performances - I know of some people who wouldn't vote for a Simon or Cheryl act because they hold them most responsible or benefitting

But i still think Rebecca has done fantastically and will have a career and in a way, coming second will give her more options and choices. Good luck to her :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People could like her better than Matt if she was given better and more variety of songs.

Matt topped the phone votes pretty much every week. On that basis alone I think he is an out & out XF winner whatever the others may or may not have done differently.

I post that as a Rebecca fan.

Dannii was also getting slated for giving Matt girls songs to sing. What if she had given him different songs to sing? He may well have won even more convincingly.

This argument can go any way. The facts are very simple Matt was the overwhelming popular choice to win. Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me, or she just looks and sings more confidently doing uptempo songs rather than ballads. The only times she looked confident when doing ballads is when she performed Make You Feel My Love and Amazing Grace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ballyclark wrote: »
    Matt topped the phone votes pretty much every week. On that basis alone I think he is an out & out XF winner whatever the others may or may not have done differently.

I post that as a Rebecca fan.

Dannii was also getting slated for giving Matt girls songs to sing. What if she had given him different songs to sing? He may well have won even more convincingly.

This argument can go any way. The facts are very simple Matt was the overwhelming popular choice to win. Fair enough.

I never said Matt isn't the most liked /popular contestants. Based on votes, he is -- even from the very beginning. However, people can change their opinion over someone especially during earlier weeks. People say she's boring and show no personality and that she's a one trick pony. Why? Because she's constantly been given ballads which made her seemed bland.

Matt -- even though he's given girl songs, he's given variety and more production on some of his earlier performances compared to Rebecca -- and also Dannii's been giving him more modern songs to sing (When Love Takes Over, Baby One More Time, Just The Way You Are) compared to Rebecca (Feeling Good, Why Dont You Do Right, Teardrops) and it made his fanbase grew.
  • Options
    mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think so. Not sure she was ever going to connect with the viewers to the same extent as Matt as shes such a shy girl.
  • Options
    VengieVengie Posts: 7,086
    Forum Member
    Is it just me, or she just looks and sings more confidently doing uptempo songs rather than ballads. The only times she looked confident when doing ballads is when she performed Make You Feel My Love and Amazing Grace.

I thought the same, seemed much more confident. I do have this feeling that they were trying to make Rebecca more of a classy performer yet a little dated. I thought I detected Rebecca moving her leg in a dancing fashion at one point while she was singing Sweet Dreams but stopped abruptly as if she knew she wasn't meant to move. Now I know people say you don't have to move but I do wonder if this is why they repeatedly gave her slower songs so it would take the temptation away to dance to the music.

I don't know if it's the Mentors fault or others behind the scenes giving Cheryl the wrong advice on how to bring out the best in her acts. Still Rebecca did well, she came second to someone that seemed to have a large proportion of the viewing public on his side from very early on..