Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do we feel about Ancellotti then ?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    how do we feel about Ancellotti then ?

Proven good manager, No more learn as you play self mentor rubbish.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly, Klopp is watching the game against Villa..
  • mattlewis86mattlewis86 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So....I'm guessing a few of you have already seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3245888/Liverpool-make-contact-Carlo-Ancelotti-pressure-mounts-Brendan-Rodgers.html

so excited if true, however if given the choice, who would you guys prefer Ancelotti or Klopp (or stick with Rodgers?)
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supposedly, Klopp is watching the game against Villa..

The internet will go into meltdown if the camera manages to catch him at the game. The pressure on Rodgers would be absolutely monumental.

I don't know if I'd go for Ancelotti. I feel like he'd deliberately sabotage us for what we did to him in 2005. :D
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So....I'm guessing a few of you have already seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3245888/Liverpool-make-contact-Carlo-Ancelotti-pressure-mounts-Brendan-Rodgers.html

so excited if true, however if given the choice, who would you guys prefer Ancelotti or Klopp (or stick with Rodgers?)

I'd probably opt for Klopp, just ahead of Ancelotti. Carlo is a great manager, there's no denying that, but he's only ever won 3 league titles in his career having managed numerous world class players at AC Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid. Klopp, on the other hand took Dortmund to two Bundesliga titles with a squad inferior to Bayern's and with lesser known players. I also love his high tempo, high energy way of playing.

I feel, out of the two, Klopp would have the better chance of getting the best out of our players, who let's face it, aren't world class. However, if we were to get Ancelotti I would still be ecstatic.

I just don't think Rodgers will get us playing the kind of football we want to see at Anfield, unfortunately, it's time we got rid. It won't be nice to see him go, if he does, because I think with some world class players in his team he could get be a top manager, it's just his poor signings are coming back to haunt him.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you bide your time Moyes may soon become available.

I'm sure Paddy Power can dust down that statue they had from a couple of years back.

:p
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you bide your time Moyes may soon become available.

I'm sure Paddy Power can dust down that statue they had from a couple of years back.

:p

I am glad that you posted that rather than me!
  • jim_lyonsjim_lyons Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been happy to see BR arrive at the club, I have slowly become disillusioned with his tenure and, over the past year have been convinced that he is not the man to take us forward...problem is, is anyone?

When you look at the position of the club financially, I fail to see how we can ever consistently challenge without the influx of many hundreds of million pounds/dollars and massive losses. If we are not successful enough to be in the CL next season, how do we keep Phil C? Barca are already sniffing around him, and once he goes, I think the next man will end up having to rebuild the entire team with no fulcrum to build around.

Premier League football is based almost entirely on money. We cannot compete with City, Chelsea, Scum or even Arsenal. Soon, you van add Spuds and maybe West Ham to that list and who knows who else...

I see our only way off this slide to obscurity as a sugar daddy coming in, but quite honestly, I really don't want to support a club bankrolled by tyrants or crooks, so where do we go?

my nightmare - and it gets more real every day - is that we will soon be Newcastle Utd...

I used to laugh so hard at their fans - now I may not laugh again.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    The club are not sacking the manger anytime soon and nor should they. Let's see where we are at xmas and review.

No doubt we need to win games and score more goals but sacking the manager now screams panic and it's really not at that stage yet.

How can you possibly be so sure of that?

Considering this is a results driven game I can't fathom how you can reach a conclusion like that.

Have you been watching the same team as the rest of us? The panic stage set in a long time ago... it was at that stage last season, never mind already in this one.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad that you posted that rather than me!

Do you just sit in waiting for any Man Utd supporter to post anywhere on this forum before following them with a pointless post?? Every time without fail!
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    jim_lyons wrote: »
    Having been happy to see BR arrive at the club, I have slowly become disillusioned with his tenure and, over the past year have been convinced that he is not the man to take us forward...problem is, is anyone?

When you look at the position of the club financially, I fail to see how we can ever consistently challenge without the influx of many hundreds of million pounds/dollars and massive losses. If we are not successful enough to be in the CL next season, how do we keep Phil C? Barca are already sniffing around him, and once he goes, I think the next man will end up having to rebuild the entire team with no fulcrum to build around.

Since when have Barcelona been interested in countiho? Neymar was asked a question about players he would like to see at barca and he answered with coutinho.

Sorry but that doesn't mean Barcelona are now ready to make a bid.

Do I believe coutinho will end up at barca one day. Maybe if he keeps on improving but this January or next summer I just can't see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Since when have Barcelona been interested in countiho? Neymar was asked a question about players he would like to see at barca and he answered with coutinho.

Sorry but that doesn't mean Barcelona are now ready to make a bid.

Do I believe coutinho will end up at barca one day. Maybe if he keeps on improving but this January or next summer I just can't see it.

I've also seen quotes from Suarez, and to be fair, that is pretty much how Barca do their transfer business. I think it's also pretty obvious that Phil is the only attacking player we have with the potential to be good enough for Barca. I would not even be disappointed if he did leave - it would be totally understandable.

To clarify, I reckon maybe next summer, but more likely in two. Bottom line - if he fulfils his potential he will be too good for us. Agree?
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Klopp would be a great fit with Liverpool in the long term but in the short term I'd go with someone like Ancelotti simply because you'd assume he has wider knowledge of players from a wider field, having worked in in Spain, Italy and England. If you were to put a bet on one of them being in a position to quickly identify the players needed then I think smart money would be on Ancelotti.

Think Klopp will be more successful in the long-term but that Ancelotti would get you on the right track quicker, if you see what I mean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Klopp would be a great fit with Liverpool in the long term but in the short term I'd go with someone like Ancelotti simply because you'd assume he has wider knowledge of players from a wider field, having worked in in Spain, Italy and England. If you were to put a bet on one of them being in a position to quickly identify the players needed then I think smart money would be on Ancelotti.

Think Klopp will be more successful in the long-term but that Ancelotti would get you on the right track quicker, if you see what I mean.
    #

But just how is anyone going to make this club successful again if we sell our best players, and pay second tier wages and transfer fees? It doesn't matter who the manager is, if we don't have the money to back them we are relying on a miracle.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've also seen quotes from Suarez, and to be fair, that is pretty much how Barca do their transfer business. I think it's also pretty obvious that Phil is the only attacking player we have with the potential to be good enough for Barca. I would not even be disappointed if he did leave - it would be totally understandable.

To clarify, I reckon maybe next summer, but more likely in two. Bottom line - if he fulfils his potential he will be too good for us. Agree?

Dont really think its about being too good for us. Liverpool could win the league and the CL but it wouldnt really matter once a Barca or Madrid come calling.

For Latin and South American players those two are the holy grail and there isnt much you can do about it once there interest is known.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Dont really think its about being too good for us. Liverpool could win the league and the CL but it wouldnt really matter once a Barca or Madrid come calling.

For Latin and South American players those two are the holy grail and there isnt much you can do about it once there interest is known.

That is a very valid point, but I think we are more vulnerable the longer we go on without success (in any of its forms). Also, my big fear is that Phil will be the last potentially great player to leave this squad - We are already lagging way behind in replacing Suarez, Gerrard, Carragher, Sterling - How can we replace so many quality players?

I don't actually think we can.

Also, as a successful club we might be able to stall, hinder or out-negotiate the two Spanish clubs - at the moment, we are becoming sitting ducks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...And please guys, don't get me wrong - I really don't want to be so negative about the club I love, but you can only ignore what is staring you in the face for so long...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #

But just how is anyone going to make this club successful again if we sell our best players, and pay second tier wages and transfer fees? It doesn't matter who the manager is, if we don't have the money to back them we are relying on a miracle.

Sometimes it needs a new manager with different ideas. We've got enough decent players in the team to play a high tempo style of football - Klopp could be the manager to get us playing that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    Sometimes it needs a new manager with different ideas. We've got enough decent players in the team to play a high tempo style of football - Klopp could be the manager to get us playing that way.

A manager making us more than the sum of our individual parts is our only hope. Like I said - miracle territory. This squad is VERY average in my opinion. Probably the most average I have ever seen in thirty-five years of following the club. And yes, it is worse than Hodgson's - okay, Konchesky was an abomination and Poulsen was a joke, but we still had Torres, Gerrard, Carragher, Mascarano (for a short time), Reina and others. I struggle to see where the class is in this squad. It's a "Milner" squad at best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A manager making us more than the sum of our individual parts is our only hope. Like I said - miracle territory. This squad is VERY average in my opinion. Probably the most average I have ever seen in thirty-five years of following the club. And yes, it is worse than Hodgson's - okay, Konchesky was an abomination and Poulsen was a joke, but we still had Torres, Gerrard, Carragher, Mascarano (for a short time), Reina and others. I struggle to see where the class is in this squad. It's a "Milner" squad at best.

That's exactly what we need I'm afraid, obviously it's harder said than done.

We do have some quality players, it's getting the best out of them week in week out that is the problem. I would say one thing about our squad and that is we have an average keeper and apart from Sakho, our central defenders should be sold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Draca_Noir wrote: »
    That's exactly what we need I'm afraid, obviously it's harder said than done.

We do have some quality players, it's getting the best out of them week in week out that is the problem. I would say one thing about our squad and that is we have an average keeper and apart from Sakho, our central defenders should be sold.

Problem is, who do you buy? I'm sure most of us were actually quite excited to see Lovren join...I actually find it pretty weird that BR didn't get Ashley Williams - I know he isn't Baresi, but he was the manager's previous captain, an organiser and a very solid CB.

Have high hopes for Sakho, but I can see him leaving if BR stays and a lack of first team football continues - after all, he only left PSG to get games.

If I am massively optimistic, then I see; Sakho, Gomez, Clyne, Henderson(ish), a fit sturridge and Coutihno as players we should keep - pretty much everyone else in the first team squad is either a failure or the jury is out (and not looking good).

Chances of us getting another Suarez for <30million are slim. Chances of us getting four or five world-class/top-class players in the squad are almost nothing. Maybe the football gods will look kindly on us and give us a generation of quality scousers in the youth team? Maybe we can merge with the stickies - build a 100,000 seater stadium and absorb their youth squad - obviously it would make sense to call the new team "Liverpool" and play in red...
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not think we are as bad as the current tactics make us look, But the longer that the squad is watered down with BRs buys and less capital for wages the worse the predicament will get, We do not need to go and throw the money at the wall and buy 8 players a season, We need to retain the best we have and bring in one or two summer and winter each year.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that the squad is as bad as made out. The likes of Sakho, Gomez, Moreno, Coutinho, Henderson, Can, Benteke, Sturridge and Clyne all have the potential to be top 4 players. Maybe not "world class", but I can see them playing for the teams currently in the top 4, especially if they fulfill that potential. Even the likes of Lallana, Ibe and Lucas can be influential on their day. The key is getting a manager who can get the very best out of them, and then keep hold of them and build the team around them next summer. Is Klopp the guy that can do that? Potentially.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're not top 4 quality, obviously. But we should be a close 5th and right now we're a very long way from that.

I was reading yesterday that the PL is in danger of losing it's 4th CL place to Italy. With only 2 clubs in the EL the teams in the CL have to do as well as those from Serie A to ward off falling to 4th in the UEFA coeficient table. That would have a huge impact on the top clubs and make the likelihood of us qualifying that much harder.
This discussion has been closed.