Options

Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers was never going to change the ratings during his 5 day stint.

It's like putting somebody in a business for 5 days and expecting them to increase profits.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron_2015 wrote: »
    Piers was never going to change the ratings during his 5 day stint.

It's like putting somebody in a business for 5 days and expecting them to increase profits.

Ah, was it 5 days, thought it was two weeks.

If he's in the seat long term, then the audience may change, because he will no doubt attract a different kind of audience to the normal GMB audience. Judge him six months down the line, but not a few weeks. Obvisouly ITV will be gojng by feedback, not ratings of the week 'trial'.
  • Options
    Ellis-GardenerEllis-Gardener Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Aaron_2015 wrote: »
    Piers is a fantastic interviewer though, which is what the show needs. Susanna and Charlotte can do decent interviews, Ben and Kate just can't. Ben appears gormless and Kate just shrieks at the interviewee until they stop talking.

Piers taking on Ed Balls was excellent back in April.

That may be so, but Piers is very much a 'Marmite' character, much like Katie Hopkins.
    He may increase viewing figures marginally, but he may also be the final nail in the coffin for GMB.
    If I recall correctly, his previous stint as guest presenter was far from a roaring success (according to Twitter anyway)

It has now been 18 months since GMB launched, that is a lifetime in TV terms, the viewing figures, however, remain stagnant, still well below what Daybreak was achieving when it was canceled.

Maybe ITV could do a deal with the BBC and simulcast Breakfast but run adverts and competitions during the local opt-out on the hour/half hour
    (My attempt at sarcastic humour, I apologise profusely!)
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Reid looks delectable every morning. Puts Garroway and Hawkins to shame.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    We all know that, but you can't judge the ratings on a two week stint.

you judge the ratings in a year jordyD thats what itv did but i don't know if ben has been sideline because he is not getting the ratings towards bbc breakfast's 1.4m i wonder if thats the case
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    That may be so, but Piers is very much a 'Marmite' character, much like Katie Hopkins.
    He may increase viewing figures marginally, but he may also be the final nail in the coffin for GMB.
    If I recall correctly, his previous stint as guest presenter was far from a roaring success (according to Twitter anyway)

It has now been 18 months since GMB launched, that is a lifetime in TV terms, the viewing figures, however, remain stagnant, still well below what Daybreak was achieving when it was canceled.

Maybe ITV could do a deal with the BBC and simulcast Breakfast but run adverts and competitions during the local opt-out on the hour/half hour
    (My attempt at sarcastic humour, I apologise profusely!)

I had genuinely forgotten who presented Daybreak and had to take a look and remembered why I disliked it. Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakly and after them Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones! Ugh! The only part I watched and liked was the first hour with Matt Barber and Ranvir Singh.
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Reid looks delectable every morning. Puts Garroway and Hawkins to shame.

Garraway is a close second to Susanna
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    Real shame about John Stapleton leaving, although I suspect he will be invited back when the ratings for this format of ITV breakfast finally collapse and the channel decides on yet another reboot.

In the meantime, we still have him as cover on LBC.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly is Garraway's role ?
    She is described as a stand-in presenter (which I would have thought involved one,perhaps two days a week at most) but seems to be on every day
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Real shame about John Stapleton leaving, although I suspect he will be invited back when the ratings for this format of ITV breakfast finally collapse and the channel decides on yet another reboot.

In the meantime, we still have him as cover on LBC.

I suspect he chose to leave. Probably didn't want to work with Piers Morgan.

And he is 68.

Why should people work till they drop? Maybe he wants to start winding down.
  • Options
    simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben and Charlotte seem more like stand ins than Kate.
    Doubt there will be much Charlotte next week as she's reporting from Malawi.
    Kate reading news on global network today for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did Piers join talksport?
  • Options
    kelvokelvo Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben and Charlotte seem more like stand ins than Kate.
    Doubt there will be much Charlotte next week as she's reporting from Malawi.
    Kate reading news on global network today for some reason.

Seems that way and Charlotte was only in the anchor chair on Tuesday because Susanna Reid was interviewing David Beckham. Ranvir even read the sports news this morning.

Interesting choice for Charlotte to go to Malawi, think she'll do a good job reporting, but wonder if she's leaving Ella Rose at home or she is travelling with her - fair old trip is she is taking a young baby with her.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Global Radio station group doing Make Some Noise today, which explains Kate & others reading the news.

Suppose its being discussed in Radio?
  • Options
    Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Garraway not happy about Bens comment about her age. It's been edited out on +1 . Topic was old mobile phones he said some of the phones would have been around when she started her career in the late 70's . She would only have been 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's lead item on GMB was all over the BBC yesterday, as was Hugh Jackman who is on Lorraine today
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Norbert5 wrote: »
    Kate Garraway not happy about Bens comment about her age. It's been edited out on +1 . Topic was old mobile phones he said some of the phones would have been around when she started her career in the late 70's . She would only have been 10.

Surely she doesn't have that much influence that she could dictate an edit just because she didn't like it? No wonder the show is such a mess. I might drop back in again when and if Piers joins, until then I'm giving it, and the enormous ego known as Lorraine, a wide berth.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked in on it this morning for the first time in weeks. They were running a big feature on the sixth anniversary of TOWIE. Don't really know where to begin with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers' Lottery adverts appearing in some papers today so he won't be back just yet.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norbert5 wrote: »

Ben's become way too cocky and over confident these last few years. I can't imagine working with him is that nice these days.
  • Options
    Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Looked in on it this morning for the first time in weeks. They were running a big feature on the sixth anniversary of TOWIE. Don't really know where to begin with that.
    Any numbers for this week? Is it just more of the same?
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Knoobb wrote: »
    Any numbers for this week? Is it just more of the same?

Only have Wednesday's - 590,000 / 16%
  • Options
    Bob_KnoobbBob_Knoobb Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Only have Wednesday's - 590,000 / 16%

Cheers, I would love to be a fly on the wall of the GMB meetings I imagine it would be like an episode of WIA but with more people on the verge of nervous breakdowns. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After hearing piers on talksport yesterday he seems more suited to that than GMB.
    Lottery adverts still running,can't see him joining until new year.

Ben and Susanna meant to save itv breakfast,now they present one day a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After hearing piers on talksport yesterday he seems more suited to that than GMB.
    Lottery adverts still running,can't see him joining until new year.

Ben and Susanna meant to save itv breakfast,now they present one day a week.

There's a presenting vacancy coming up on BBC Breakfast with Bill leaving in the new year......