Windows 10 doing my head in

gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My son got a laptop at Xmas and after windows update it first of all won't reboot on a reboot. Have to shutdown as it just hangs. Googled and seems quite common.

Today now the windows button and task bar don't work. Have tried all sorts of fixes to no avail, as apparently this is also quite common.

Now in process of a full factory reset.

Just hope it was some rogue app my son installed and avoid it this time around.

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    My son got a laptop at Xmas and after windows update it first of all won't reboot on a reboot. Have to shutdown as it just hangs. Googled and seems quite common.

Today now the windows button and task bar don't work. Have tried all sorts of fixes to no avail, as apparently this is also quite common.

Now in process of a full factory reset.

Just hope it was some rogue app my son installed and avoid it this time around.

I doubt it was a rogue app.

If a reset does not work, we can help you do a clean install that usually sorts most issues. There is a thread 'do you need help with windows 10 problems'.

We like to post problems on that so they are kept in one place.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    I doubt it was a rogue app.

If a reset does not work, we can help you do a clean install that usually sorts most issues. There is a thread 'do you need help with windows 10 problems'.

We like to post problems on that so they are kept in one place.
    Would have been nice for DS to have made it a sticky...
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. The restore worked so we are back in business, though took 3 hours....yawn.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Thanks. The restore worked so we are back in business, though took 3 hours....yawn.

Recommend you make a system image backup using Macrium Reflect Free or similar, now you have a working version.. Then you can easily recover including all programs and data in typically less than 1 hour.