Could Murdoch's Family Trust & Empire implode?

i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
Forum Member
It's been announced 84 year old Rupert Murdoch has become engaged to 59 year old Jerry Hall, all fine and dandy but....

It was reported today that when he left his second wife his children weren't happy and needed counselling. Rupert set up a family trust which included his children and I believe it has 39.7% voting powers in his media interests.

When Murdoch wanted to add to the family trust his two children from his third marriage to Wendy his previous children objected and its reported Rupert paid £200m to those children to open up the trust.

James Murdoch was being set as the heir apparent of the media empire but that when pear shape over the phone hacking, Elisabeth Murdoch didn't appear to fully support her brother.

Rupert's mother lived for over 100 years, but if papa doc wasn't around could there be sibling rivalry that could threaten the media empire?

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Rupert's mother lived for over 100 years, but if papa doc wasn't around could there be sibling rivalry that could threaten the media empire?

We can only hope.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    We can only hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if once the old guy is gone/no longer able to run it things fall apart.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Robert Thomson was made CEO of the spun off New Corp when it was formed in 2013. Thomson had been the managing editor of the Wall Street Journal, and was previously an editor of The Times.

James Murdoch replaced Rupert as the CEO of 21st Century Fox last summer. This is the renamed News Corporation following the separation of its publishing assets

Rupert Murdoch is chairman of both companies with Lachlan as co-chairman.

So succession has pretty much taken already place.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    But James Murdoch seems to fit in with what his dad wants, if dad wasn't around could the children gang up on a non family member or possibly ditch any interest in the newspapers as it led to the downfall of James?

Also is James Murdoch a mover and shaker like his dad and interested in cosying up to politicians?

I was surprised to learn of the Family Trust set up and the apparent £200m compensation paid by Rupert...it was suggested Jerry Hall is merely a trinket to have on his arm at red carpet events...ouch.
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Im not suprised he married a gold digger!
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it did someone would pick up the pieces and probably make it worse.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    But James Murdoch seems to fit in with what his dad wants, if dad wasn't around could the children gang up on a non family member or possibly ditch any interest in the newspapers as it led to the downfall of James?

Whilst James Murdoch had no interest in newspapers, and was palpably not any good at running them, he is very well regarded in broadcasting. There is no one in the Murdoch family better qualified to run 21st Century Fox.

With newspapers there is no one in the family qualified at all other than Rupert. Hence his efforts for James to become experienced with them.

As the family owns just under 40% of voting stock in both companies, they would need support from other shareholders to make board appointments. But it is difficult to see them getting that just to to put a random Murdoch in charge if they are not suitably qualified.

So when Rupert leaves then Lachlan will almost certainly become chairman of both companies, replacing his father, and James will remain as CEO of C21st Fox.
  • WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody ever heard of this family cabal giving much money to charity ?
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Succession sorted. Shareholders demanded it. They weren't going to keep investing in a company dependent on a 80 year old man.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah if only, but life doesn't work like that unfortunately. :(
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    It is a bit strange that a man who appears to fought the establishment and the old school network has set up a company which he set out to hand onto his children.

I thought the idea of sons or daughters taking over their father's business went out years ago, yet here we have a media dynasty in the 21st century.
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody ever heard of this family cabal giving much money to charity ?

No me neither. The only thing I'll say about Murdoch is this....

At least he is a wolf in wolf's clothing, and makes no pretence to be a nice guy.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not suprised he married a gold digger!

Gold digger suggests that she's not wealthy herself, which isn't the case. Jerry has a fortune of her own. Okay, it's tiny in comparison to his, but she's still loaded though.