Options

New lap top key flicker

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Just started using my brandnew Hp laptop.
Got it pretty much setup as I like now: removed the bloatware, installed relevent software etc. The only annoyance is the F6 and Caps lock key lights flicker sometimes. Having Googled the issue i see that sometimes the flickering is a code for certain faults, but this is different. Mine flickers if I tap or lightly shake the laptop. If the laptops on a hard surface its mostly fine.
I assume that there must be a lose connection, which kind of sucks on a brand new machine.
The dilemma is; is it worth the trouble of returning it to Currys because of this minor issue? In my experiance nothing is ever straightforwards returning higher priced items to Currys, plus I might just end up with a replacement laptop with another issue, not to mention how long ive spent setting it all up.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like a physical fault.

I know it's not very helpful, but why did you purchase from Currys in the first place, knowing how bad their support is? If you go in and insist in an exchange or refund that might do the trick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It sounds like a physical fault.

I know it's not very helpful, but why did you purchase from Currys in the first place, knowing how bad their support is? If you go in and insist in an exchange or refund that might do the trick.

Good point. I guess I just hoped I would get lucky and not have an issue.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be worth reseating the keyboard cable, normally at best it's undoing a screw but theres plenty of youtube videos showing how to do it for virtually every laptop around.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Might be worth reseating the keyboard cable, normally at best it's undoing a screw but theres plenty of youtube videos showing how to do it for virtually every laptop around.

I would agree with this if it was an older laptop but I would not advise this for the OP as it's a brand new laptop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a stupid issue. Took ages getting everything how I like. Cccleaned all the crxp off, installed software, only to be faced with returning it because if the laptop isnt stable, 2 little lights might flicker.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just me, but personally I'd take it back - even if it is total pain!

Make an image of the entire hard drive, and you could be up and running with the replacement very quickly.

If a hardware issue has surfaced so early after purchasing it, I'd be worrying that it won't be long before something else fails. Perhaps I'm paranoid ! :o

See: Bathtub curve for early failures (normally caused by poor quality control)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but personally I'd take it back - even if it is total pain!

Make an image of the entire hard drive, and you could be up and running with the replacement very quickly.

If a hardware issue has surfaced so early after purchasing it, I'd be worrying that it won't be long before something else fails. Perhaps I'm paranoid ! :o

See: Bathtub curve for early failures (normally caused by poor quality control)

I know what you mean. I'll think about it grrrrr

Ty
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got it sorted 5hane?

Having dealt with Currys PC world with one of my previous laptop, I know they can be reluctant to give you a refund or a replacement, preferring to send it off for repair.
    I found it was easier to just deal with HP Support directly. That way if it needs repairing, it is done by them and any other issues get fixed too, as long as it is in warranty obviously.

My Probook that I bought in October/November started acting up mid December, and after contacting HP support, it was picked up from my home by UPS and shipped to HP for repair (in Poland!) and was returned to me repaired at 10am Christmas Eve, having only being shipped from HP the day before.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't faff about, take it back and get a replacement.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I agree with neo. In 2010 I bought a very expensive laptop and it had a sudden catastrophic failure after 2 weeks. The replacement also failed and its replacement too, all with the same problem and under the exact same set of circumstances.

Turns out it was a manufacturing design flaw i.e. the graphics card wasn't compatible with the system running certain tasks. A pain having to set up 3 laptops but I got better and faster doing it each successive time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Don't faff about, take it back and get a replacement.

Hi.

Purchased in mid Nov as an xmas present for myself. First unpacked and used 1 week ago. Currys won't exchange it for a new one because they tell me it is too late, even though I have only just unboxed it. They will apparently return it to HP, so ill be without my brandnew laptop. So basicly Currys get my money and I get a dodgy laptop.

This is def the last time I deal with them.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell them if they don't replace it you will go to the local paper or even a national red top. You must be prepared to have your picture in the paper mournfully looking at the laptop. Embarrassment can work wonders with big firms.