Options

Microsoft wireless adapter App?

orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello, I have just bought the Microsoft Wireless Adapter. The problem I have is when I go to the Microsoft Store to get the app, it does not download. I'm running windows 8.1 so I will need the app for it to work

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/9wzdncrfjbb1

Does anyone have the app or know where I can get it from?

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will only be able to get the app from the Microsoft Store. However, you should be able to install drivers without the app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You will only be able to get the app from the Microsoft Store. However, you should be able to install drivers without the app.

You would think so, but alas you need to have a microsoft store account first.

So far what I have learned is... that unless you have a MS store account you won't get the next window offering you the download. You would think they would say that wouldn't you...noooo not MS (so I have created that)

Although I've now managed to install the Wireless Display Adapter app, it's still not working it wont connect. I have read that this WDA uses bluetooth ( it doesn't mention that anywhere on MS instructions) so I have now enabled bluetooth on this laptop and rebooted. ( I had it disabled to save battery)

It's still not working so I'm presently downloading all the 8.1 updates.

I'll let you know how IF I manage to install this in case anyone else finds his thread
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orange1234 wrote: »
    You would think so, but alas you need to have a microsoft store account first.

So far what I have learned is... that unless you have a MS store account you won't get the next window offering you the download. You would think they would say that wouldn't you...noooo not MS (so I have created that)

Although I've now managed to install the Wireless Display Adapter app, it's still not working it wont connect. I have read that this WDA uses bluetooth ( it doesn't mention that anywhere on MS instructions) so I have now enabled bluetooth on this laptop and rebooted. ( I had it disabled to save battery)

It's still not working so I'm presently downloading all the 8.1 updates.

I'll let you know how IF I manage to install this in case anyone else finds his thread
    A quick sanity check here: the wireless adaptor goes into the TV. You then use a Miracast compatible device such as a laptop, tablet or phone to connect to the TV.

It's not Bluetooth. If your laptop can't do Miracast it is never going to work.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    A quick sanity check here: the wireless adaptor goes into the TV. You then use a Miracast compatible device such as a laptop, tablet or phone to connect to the TV.

It's not Bluetooth. If your laptop can't do Miracast it is never going to work.

Laptop needs to have 8.1 originally and support miracast. If you upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0 it will not work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Laptop needs to have 8.1 originally and support miracast. If you upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0 it will not work.

I've been on the phone to samsung and they say my Laptop supports Miracast on 8, 8.1 and 10. The device drivers say "this device is working correctly" so I was hopeful.

Having said that, you are both right in that although Samsung and Microsoft say it should work...it doesn't. I upgraded to windows 10 last night in the faint hope that it would fix it. Nope that didn't work either.

I tried the MS wireless adapter on a windows 10 tablet and it finds the wireless adapter without a problem so I know it's not the display adapter, I have been through the laptop settings for network and bluetooth and switched everything to on, but not even the tablet can see the laptop as a device. I despair now.

You say miracast is not bluetooth....If it;'s not bluetooth what is it?

I'm wondering if you guys know of an external miracast dongle / adapter I can attach to a usb or HDMI on the laptop and maybe bypass the internal one, and get it going that way?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on the phone to samsung and they say my Laptop supports Miracast on 8, 8.1 and 10. The device drivers say "this device is working correctly" so I was hopeful.

Having said that, you are both right in that although Samsung and Microsoft say it should work...it doesn't. I upgraded to windows 10 last night in the faint hope that it would fix it. Nope that didn't work either.

I tried the MS wireless adapter on a windows 10 tablet and it finds the wireless adapter without a problem so I know it's not the display adapter, I have been through the laptop settings for network and bluetooth and switched everything to on, but not even the tablet can see the laptop as a device. I despair now.

I'm wondering if you guys know of an external miracast dongle / adapter I can attach to a usb or HDMI on the laptop and maybe bypass the internal one, and get it going that way?
    I'm tempted to ask why you are plugging the wireless adapter into a laptop or tablet? That isn't how it works. It plugs into a HDMI port on the TV with the USB used for power.

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/wireless-display-adapter
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Miracast was not natively built into 8.0. You would need special vendor drivers and most did not bother, just expecting you to install 8.1 afresh.

http://www.howtogeek.com/200897/how-to-use-miracast-screen-mirroring-from-windows-or-android/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'm tempted to ask why you are plugging the wireless adapter into a laptop or tablet? That isn't how it works. It plugs into a HDMI port on the TV with the USB used for power.

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/wireless-display-adapter

Thanks, what I meant is I am trying to cast from the laptop. I have the MS Wireless Display Adapter plugged into the hdmi and usb on the back of the TV, hence me being able to cast from the tablet without a problem. The problem lies with Miracast and the Samsung Laptop firstly on 8.1 and now 10

oilman wrote: »
    Miracast was not natively built into 8.0. You would need special vendor drivers and most did not bother, just expecting you to install 8.1 afresh.

http://www.howtogeek.com/200897/how-to-use-miracast-screen-mirroring-from-windows-or-android/

Thanks oilman, much appreciated. I'll go through the link in your reply in detail tomorrow when I'm awake. From a quick glance over it it looks like I should be looking at the wireless network adapter drivers (qualcomm atheros AR9485WB=EG) and seeing if they have updated Miracast drivers, (hopefully for windows 10 now I have upgraded.

Do you think a fresh install of windows 10 rather than an upgrade might fix it?

I'll pop the hardware ID's here so I have them to refer to tomorrow

The hardware ID is
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_4105144D&REV_01
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_4105144D
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&CC_0280

compatible ID's
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&REV_01
    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032
    PCI\VEN_168C&CC_028000
    PCI\VEN_168C&CC_0280
    PCI\VEN_168C
    PCI\CC_028000
    PCI\CC_0280
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not just drivers, it's the hardware and firmware of the Wireless Card and indeed the Laptop it is in.
    For Miracast certified products go here, hard to find specific stuff, sometimes the search does not seem to work well if at all.
    http://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-miracast

My Laptop has a Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Card, slightly different Hardware IDs to yours, and came with Windows 8.1 but it is not Miracast capable (the last time I looked). WiFi Direct yes.