Options

Garden Bridge, London.

rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sky have donated £5, 000, 000 towards it's construction. Is this the correct use of their profits? There are customers up and down the country that are paying for that may never see it!

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    rob1973 wrote: »
    Sky have donated £5, 000, 000 towards it's construction. Is this the correct use of their profits? There are customers up and down the country that are paying for that may never see it!

So that's what they waste subscribers money on.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, what's the connection with Sky ?
  • Options
    davies88davies88 Posts: 1,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky does alot for the environment and wildlife.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suspect it'll be sponsorship money rather than just throwing at it for the lols "the sky garden bridge" etc right in the heart of london is a decent advertising opportunity i suppose
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see no issue with how they spend their profits. It's certainly a more sensible way to spend money than actually paying for Sky.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather that than 5 million of tax payers money on this daft vanity project.

How much is the whole thing costing if £5 million is just a 'contribution' :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swb1964 wrote: »

How much is the whole thing costing if £5 million is just a 'contribution' :eek:

It's still public money, just raised by subscription.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

I was under the impression Sky Subscription was voluntary. How they spend their profits is up to them. I shop at ASDA, if they want to donate a million to a charity I won't kick up a fuss because it is up to them. It is their money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where did you see the £5m story ? All the ones I saw say "undisclosed amount"
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    swb1964 wrote: »

This really is one of the strangest claims I've ever seen. Money paid by private individuals to an openly profit-making private enterprise, is 'public money'? You live & learn...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    This really is one of the strangest claims I've ever seen. Money paid by private individuals to an openly profit-making private enterprise, is 'public money'? You live & learn...

ITV is also publically funded, Chris Dunkley wrote about it in 1971 when ITV wanted a second channel.

Pretending it's not money from the public does not make it so.

So we have two sets of human beings in the UK those who pay for a service from a company are private individuals but those who don't pay aren't private individuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread's making my brain hurt.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say the project looks amazing.

https://www.gardenbridge.london/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pork.pie wrote: »

To many pork pies?
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV is also publically funded, Chris Dunkley wrote about it in 1971 when ITV wanted a second channel.

Pretending it's not money from the public does not make it so.

So we have two sets of human beings in the UK those who pay for a service from a company are private individuals but those who don't pay aren't private individuals.

But that is not the definition of “public money”.

See Collins Dictionary definition of “public money”:

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/public-money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    But that is not the definition of “public money”.

See Collins Dictionary definition of “public money”:

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/public-money

What does Collin know?

:)
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They should either cut subscription costs or invest that in better TV as I believe in better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    They should either cut subscription costs or invest that in better TV as I believe in better.

Sky revenue was £11bn. This donation is loose change
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To many pork pies?

Are you offering to direct me somewhere?
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »

I guess the brains that Sky wanted to hurt are ITV's.

Isn't the bridge just outside Kent House? Perhaps a sky logo or two may be visible in the camera feds and studio windows used for ITV shows?

Trebles and quadruples in the Coach&Horses I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I expect most, if not all UK plc's make donations to charities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought you only believed in BBC?
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky revenue was £11bn. This donation is loose change
    Five million can make a drama series, it's an abuse of subscription payers money.
    The billionaire owner of the tarnished Murdoch group could pay for the whole bridge as loose change. A group that made lots of money by hacking people's phones. News of the World had illegally accessed voice mails and bribed law enforcement officers. Though this practice had been investigated previously, new information about phone hacking victims intensified the response.
    derek500 wrote: »
    I expect most, if not all UK plc's make donations to charities.
    Some do, but the subscribers are paying, Sky high prices , still going up, and abiding its position, bet all subscribers would like a reduction in costs.
    davies88 wrote: »
    I thought you only believed in BBC?

Why do you say that? Nothing on this thread? That's rather off topic isn't it? Can't we stay to the thread purpose rather than you try to make it personal.
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    Looks like a great project. Ultimately ALL money comes from the public. If Sky's subscribers are upset I'm sure they can cancel at renewal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some do, but the subscribers are paying, Sky high prices , still going up, and abiding its position, bet all subscribers would like a reduction in costs.

You're not one, so why are you bothered?

I expect the company you get your internet service from makes charitable donations, and they charge sky high prices that keep going up (darn sight more than I'm paying Sky I expect).