EE's Whitney - No Aftermath Of Her Abuse??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 535
Forum Member
✭✭
This is typical of all soaps, a critical, serious s/l such as child abuse is written and nothing happens afterwards. When I have seen her recently, she apparently has no problems in the boyfriend department, apart from picking the wrong ones. As far as I am aware, she didn't go to any counselling during or after the arrest of Tony, so I guess it was another "self cure" much like Phil and his addictions. And of course Ronnie, even though she is always miserable, doesn't seem to need any professional help either!:confused:

I don't expect soaps to drag out these s/l's but the occasional mention of a counselor's appointment, some sort of set back or wobble just to show how very difficult it is to cope with this type of thing would be more realistic. Many victims of abuse end up with addiction problems, it is rarely plain sailing in the aftermath and I wish soaps would reflect that:(.

Comments

• xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Whitney was great in the Tony storyline but now sadly she's just went downhill. I would like her to go to a counciller or social worker or whoever it's meant to be and she can show just how great an actress she is because she was amazing in the reveal scenes. :)
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting Kat. It seems from from being wary of men, it's one long line of promiscuity.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think perhaps the fact that Witney can't seem to settle with 'nice' boys like Peter and Todd is part of the aftermath, Billi and now Connor have shown her very little respect or kindness, and she seems to accept that as being all she is worth
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Maybe she was offered counselling but refused it because she didn't see it as abuse? In her mind she and Tony were in a relationship and in love, and supposedly (to her) everything was consensual?
  • Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishmaura wrote: »
    This is typical of all soaps, a critical, serious s/l such as child abuse is written and nothing happens afterwards. When I have seen her recently, she apparently has no problems in the boyfriend department, apart from picking the wrong ones. As far as I am aware, she didn't go to any counselling during or after the arrest of Tony, so I guess it was another "self cure" much like Phil and his addictions.

I think the "aftermath" is just about right, because abuse impacts people in different ways and it's almost never as straightforward as people often make it sound. The fact is that Whitney still loved Tony (just like Ronnie still loved Archie), and she's even still looking for him in her own way. That's why she prefers them dodgy and older, while good boys of her own age like Todd and Peter don't excite her.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    She turned into even more of a whiny brat.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realy don't like the the character of Whitney anymore, hope she goes soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She turned into even more of a whiny brat.

I agree :D
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean. I feel like there was so much more that they could have done with her, but she's essentially just become your standard soap teen now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Whitney. But I can get what she's doing. I have a friend who was abused from a young age and when she was 14ish she started to go kinda wild. She was going from guy to guy until she got counciling. So yeah she probably should see a counciller at some point but that could be a road they go down - have her go crazy with a load of guys and then Bianca/Ricky/Ryan/Pat force her to see one.

Only problem is I'm sick of her and cba putting up with her anymore.
  • Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Not forgetting Kat. It seems from from being wary of men, it's one long line of promiscuity.

Actually Kat became that because she thought it was what people expected of her. All this was covered both during and after Harry's abuse came out.

With Whitney its like another poster said. Whitney just can't seem to settle for nice boys. She held off sleeping with Todd because she wasn't ready yet jumped Billie the second he appeared. Likewise with Conner. I think it goes down to her own self worth.

I like Whitney anyway and think Shona is a very good actress.
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's a cracking actress - just given absolutely dire material. I believe she is Lacey's replacement. She was great during the Tony reveal.