Why are The Smiths seen as depressing?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe it says something about me personally but listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyhGTdqvc00 is really cheering me up.

People focus too much on the lyrics - which I accept can be a bit miserable. But the tunes are truly uplifting.

Just me I guess?

Comments

• EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me that was one of the really big attractions of the Smiths - that while the lyrics were often downbeat (but also often witty) Johnny Marr's considerable musical input was often quite upbeat.

On a song such as "What Difference Does It Make?" Morrissey's lovelorn lyrics ("Now you know the truth about me you won't see me any more...but I'm still fond of you") are accompanied by a driving guitar riff which is almost rockabilly.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest the 'they're depressing' line was only ever trotted out by people who had never listened to them in any great detail. The humour is obvious in among the angst: 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others', 'Vicar in a tutu', 'Frankly Mr Shankly', etc. Now Joy Division ... that's what I call depressing ;-)
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lazy shorthand based almost entirely on the fact that their biggest chart hit was "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" - I really don't think anyone who knows more than a few of the band's songs would seriously describe them as depressing per se, though of course Morrissey wasn't shy of the odd lyrical downer...
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree that it's a phrase mainly used by people who haven't heard a lot of their music.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Morrisey's voice and lyrical content. Not that (in my world anyway) that is a bad thing.

As you say the chords of most Smith's songs are actually very upbeat. If you remove Morrisey from the equation and if they had being lumbered with a more regular singer they would probably have just been viewed as another jangly guitar 80's party band.

Its almost as if Morrisey would listen to the great chord sequences Marr would play to him, shuddered at how trite they seemed to him and then come up with the most sardonic lyrics he could as a response to them. And as others have said there was a lot of wit in those lyrics.

Its that creative tension that probably made The Smiths such and interesting band and also part of what eventually made the implode in the end and go their separate ways.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a myth. Sure there are a few depressing tracks (I Know It's Over & Asleep for example) but on the whole the music is uplifting and joyous and Morrissey's lyrics are hilarious. How anyone can find a band who produced tracks like The Queen Is Dead, Frankly Mr Shankley & Ask "depressing" beggars belief. Joy Division for example are far more unforgiving and nihilistic.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To answer the OP, it's mostly due to Morrissey's lyrics, but also in part their perceived image when a live and active band in the eighties.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Pretty much what some other people have said in this thread. I guess they were kinda ironic with upbeat, jangly guitar music and downbeat,slightly moody lyrics. Though The Smiths had some quite funny songs.- I think when people say they think the band were miserable they've only heard of There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now and How Soon is Now (singles) which lyric wise can give out that slightly depressing vibe.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Culturally they were a Manchester band pre Madchester/acid house, so the relative dreariness (compared if they were from so California) plus Morrissey's fascination with northern kitchen sink dramas sort of left an image to many people.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would assume because of their depressing lyrics and his depressing voice.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    It's a lazy shorthand based almost entirely on the fact that their biggest chart hit was "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" - I really don't think anyone who knows more than a few of the band's songs would seriously describe them as depressing per se, though of course Morrissey wasn't shy of the odd lyrical downer...

Exactly.

if anything, The Smiths are my happy music.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    To be honest the 'they're depressing' line was only ever trotted out by people who had never listened to them in any great detail. The humour is obvious in among the angst: 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others', 'Vicar in a tutu', 'Frankly Mr Shankly', etc. Now Joy Division ... that's what I call depressing ;-)

Thats because their songwriter was a manic depressive
  • Jake2008Jake2008 Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of the smiths songs make me happy, 'Cemetery gates' is genuinely a song what cheers me up despite the names sake
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would assume because of their depressing lyrics and his depressing voice.
    And depressing album covers.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Jake2008 wrote: »
    Lots of the smiths songs make me happy, 'Cemetery gates' is genuinely a song what cheers me up despite the names sake

One of my favourites - I listen to it way too much :P
    Amusing lyrics. Also same for Some Girls are Bigger than Others and Stop me if You Think You've Heard this one Before

And Ask is a super happy sounding song - always used to give me a confidence boost.