F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody posted for 1 day and 5 hours....clearly it was a crisis ;-)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    maybe the fact that an F1 thread has such little F1 talk on it that a lot of the regulars (who aren't into other motor sports,) are put off responding doesn't help?!

Except a lot of the regulars in here do watch other forms of motor sport. BTCC. MotoGP. Formula E. WRC. IndyCars. You name it.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    maybe the fact that an F1 thread has such little F1 talk on it that a lot of the regulars (who aren't into other motor sports,) are put off responding doesn't help?!
    I've said before this thread should be renamed to something like "Motorsports Broadcasting"
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/05/breakthrough-in-live-broadcast-of-gp2-and-gp3-races-holds-promise-for-future-of-f1/

Interesting developments, though I can't see what the advantage would be for broadcasters like BBC and Sky who have to broadcast their own trackside presentation as well.
  • Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/05/breakthrough-in-live-broadcast-of-gp2-and-gp3-races-holds-promise-for-future-of-f1/

Interesting developments, though I can't see what the advantage would be for broadcasters like BBC and Sky who have to broadcast their own trackside presentation as well.
    Bernie will want them to pay to tap into and subsidise his fibre network.
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »

I'm not sure what's changed hands, surely FOM were distributing the feeds themselves (through Tata's ring) already? If not then who *was* distributing them before?
  • cocarrollcocarroll Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's changed hands, surely FOM were distributing the feeds themselves (through Tata's ring) already? If not then who *was* distributing them before?

Satellite uplinks. Fibre is used to send the feed back to FOM but not for worldwide distribution to the TV networks.

Think satellite will still be the way to go for a long time to come. Much fewer points where failure can occur. Fibre is a good back-up, but can't see it being the primary method of distribution.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Don't Sky already send there live broadcast's back to the UK via fibre networks?

Right now the thing I'd appreciate more is either SSF1 as a stand alone subscription or FOM offering live content direct from them (At a reasonable price) because what were paying Sky is practically at the point of been unaffordable for us now.

We have TV/Phone/Broadband via Sky & depending on how much the land line is used with the recent price hike our monthly bill is now around £110 a month & i'm not sure how much longer thats sustainable for us & there's nothing we can cut off the TV package (Variety/Sports/HD/2 HD Boxes) to lower that without losing access to channels that show stuff we watch.

Its irritating because I like the service we have got from Sky the past 11-12 years on the TV side & I watch a lot of TV.
    I was an early adopter of Sky broadband in late 2006 & they have been the best ISP i've ever had & the phone line the past year has also been faultless & I really like Sky's F1 coverage so I don't want to lose any of that, But its getting to the point where something is going to have to go & others in the house are pushing for it to be something from the TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I adopted sky when they first launched ssf1 but gave up at my last renewal and now just cope with the BBC which isn't a patch on the Jake days, but what can you do with such a limited budget and broadcast time?
  • thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I see that Spain Qualifying is on Sky One as well as Sky F1. Any one know if Monaco Qualifying is also on Sky One ? They're both Sky exclusive live races which fits the pattern.
    Forum Member
    McLaren's new livery:
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/06/new-mclaren-livery-for-spanish-grand-prix-revealed/

Apart from the 2nd red flash on the nose (Which kinda makes it look like it has 2 noses from the front), I quite like it.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McLaren's new livery:
    http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/05/06/new-mclaren-livery-for-spanish-grand-prix-revealed/

Apart from the 2nd red flash on the nose (Which kinda makes it look like it has 2 noses from the front), I quite like it.

Seeing the new livery, it does make the car look better and I don't think it makes it look as devoid of sponsors as the car actually is.

Hopefully the new livery will work better in front of the TV cameras
  • thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Right now the thing I'd appreciate more is either SSF1 as a stand alone subscription or FOM offering live content direct from them (At a reasonable price) because what were paying Sky is practically at the point of been unaffordable for us now.

That's something that I've pestered Sky's NowTV operation about a few times. It's perfectly possible. Their Sky Sports News HQ app (only via the official NowTV box) is an exact example of how it can be done. I doubt it will ever happen though.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's something that I've pestered Sky's NowTV operation about a few times. It's perfectly possible. Their Sky Sports News HQ app (only via the official NowTV box) is an exact example of how it can be done. I doubt it will ever happen though.
    It can be done easily, they just don't want to.

They prefer to get as much money out of people as possible, like how you cannot get Sky Sports without taking their basic TV package.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McLaren's new livery:

Eurgh...

I preferred the only they had before, a nod to the West black and silver livery they had.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adopted sky when they first launched ssf1 but gave up at my last renewal and now just cope with the BBC which isn't a patch on the Jake days, but what can you do with such a limited budget and broadcast time?

I find BBC much more watchable without smug Jake. Bet he's loving it at BT... Now he's gone off the radar, where he belongs.:D
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    I find BBC much more watchable without smug Jake. Bet he's loving it at BT... Now he's gone off the radar, where he belongs.:D
    I agree. I couldn't stand the man.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,085
    Forum Member
    I see that Spain Qualifying is on Sky One as well as Sky F1. Any one know if Monaco Qualifying is also on Sky One ? They're both Sky exclusive live races which fits the pattern.

Very very unlikely I'd have thought. They only do it once or twice a year, sometimes at strategic points (eg first European race of the season if it's not live on the BBC as well, or the first race after the summer break if that's not a BBC live race) but it's very very unlikely they'd do it for 2 races in a row.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McLaren's new livery:

Looks good to me.

It does rather fly hard in the face of all Ron's "why would we bother to change the livery unless we got a new sponsor?!" bollocks, though.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

their point of doing it is to promote the F1 channel either to new subscribers who have to pay for it or people like myself who are legacy subscribers to HD but might not realise it is free for them :p
  • TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaco GP Qualifying is being simulcast on Sky Sports 1.

https://twitter.com/f1broadcasting/status/596348682397683713
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    The election result surely reduces the chances of a new BBC contract after 2018, can't see a Tory majority allowing the BBC to increase the license fee.
    Forum Member
    I can't see the BBC retaining any live F1 coverage after the current deal anyway because I think the next contract will be exclusive live coverage on either Sky or BT with any FTA broadcaster been restricted to Highlights.

I was reading earlier that BT are launching a FTA channel so that may be a potential lifeline for Live FTA F1 coverage if they get the next contract.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2015/16 Formula E calendar: http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/mexico-city-set-for-2016-formula-e-race (provisional)

Based on that...

17/10/2015 - Beijing (China)
    November 2015 - TBA
    November 2015 - Putrajaya (Malaysia)
    December 2015 - Punta del Este (Uruguay)
    January 2016 - Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    February 2016 - Mexico City (Mexico)
    March 2016 - Miami (USA)
    March 2016 - Long Beach (USA)
    April 2016 - Paris (France)
    May 2016 - Monte Carlo (Monaco)
    May 2016 - Berlin (Germany)
    June 2016 - London (UK)
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    2015/16 Formula E calendar: http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/mexico-city-set-for-2016-formula-e-race (provisional)

Based on that...

17/10/2015 - Beijing (China)
    November 2015 - TBA
    November 2015 - Putrajaya (Malaysia)
    December 2015 - Punta del Este (Uruguay)
    January 2016 - Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    February 2016 - Mexico City (Mexico)
    March 2016 - Miami (USA)
    March 2016 - Long Beach (USA)
    April 2016 - Paris (France)
    May 2016 - Monte Carlo (Monaco)
    May 2016 - Berlin (Germany)
    June 2016 - London (UK)

I was under the impression Formula E is alternating with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix, meaning it won't feature in next years calendar.
This discussion has been closed.