Slow cooker - should I get one?

Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of getting a slow cooker - anyone else got one and use it regularly, or is it the sort of thing that gathers dust at the back of the cupboard?

Also, are there any things I should look out for/avoid when getting one? Will probably get it from Lakeland, where I do most of my kitchen shopping.

Any advice much appreciated!

Miss Poppy

Comments

• janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Yes, love my slow cooker and use it each week. Makes a lovely stew/goulash and I even cooked my Christmas ham in it. It is easy to put everything in, switch on and forget about it - my kind of cooking.
  • 80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    yes yes yes yes yes. Marvellous inventions for winter cooking :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my slow cooker and it gets used lots :)

Its great to just shove stuff in, then come home to a hot meal without any fuss later.

Soups, stews, curries, chilli are all regular slow cooked meals in our house, and its also brilliant for pot roasting whole pieces of meat too - comes out lovely and tender :)

I'm not familiar with the ranges at Lakeland so I can't recommend one from there unfortunately, but we really use ours a lot and I would definitely recommend getting one.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the best slow cooker to buy?

I have dabbled with the idea but panic if I should buy the wrong one as I have no great knowledge of them.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have found it's not brand that matters as much as getting the right size for your family.
    We had a wee one which wasn't big enough then a big one which is too big - need to get a middle sized one when we can afford to do so.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my slow cooker. I use it several times a week in winter.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thumbs up! Great for stews, soups, chillis and pies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another thumbs up from me :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thumbs up if your cooker doesn't have a slow cook option. Curries can be added to the list too :)
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I lost my slow cooker then it'd be like losing a limb. I'm constantly using it for curries and chillies, get the stuff ready the night before and then just start it off in the morning before you go to work. Then when you get home it's just a case of doing the rice and serving it up.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love slow cooking! I have a large one for making soups, bean jar, stews and casseroles usually I make double and freeze, also have a smaller one for making stuff when it's only me and hubby.:)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Poppy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a slow cooker - anyone else got one and use it regularly, or is it the sort of thing that gathers dust at the back of the cupboard?

Also, are there any things I should look out for/avoid when getting one? Will probably get it from Lakeland, where I do most of my kitchen shopping.

Miss Poppy

Argos are currently selling a Morphy Richards 6.5L slow cooker for under £20, down from £59.99.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thumbs up! Great for stews, soups, chillis and pies!

Pies? Really? Tell me more, for I am intrigued. :p

I use mine all the time, it's a Tefal one from Lakeland and it's quite easily the best kitchen investment I've ever made.

But not for pies. Well not yet, any road.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    What's the best slow cooker to buy?

We got a Crock-Pot for like $25 on amazon, which is ~16 pounds.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Pies? Really? Tell me more, for I am intrigued. :p

I use mine all the time, it's a Tefal one from Lakeland and it's quite easily the best kitchen investment I've ever made.

But not for pies. Well not yet, any road.

It's pretty easy really, do the filling in the slow cooker, for example steak and ale, then when it's done I remove the dish from the slow cooker 'chamber' and top with pastry and stick in the oven to brown, pie done!!
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    It's pretty easy really, do the filling in the slow cooker, for example steak and ale, then when it's done I remove the dish from the slow cooker 'chamber' and top with pastry and stick in the oven to brown, pie done!!

That sounds fantastic - I might give that a go!

Anyway, another slow cooker fan here! I've had mine for a few years. When I first got it, I only really used it in the winter and it got stashed at the back of the cupboard during the summer. However, for the last couple of years, I've used it for cooking gammon joints and whole chickens during the summer too. It is perfect for cooking a whole chicken for salads, but not so good to substitute for a chicken to carve for a roast.. The chicken just falls off the bone, so doesn't carve very well. One thing I have noticed though, with a whole chicken done in the slow cooker rather than in the oven, is the amount of meat you get! There is absolutely no waste. I freeze half of it to use in pies etc.

Also, cheaper cuts of meat are ideal for a slow cooker, e.g. casserole beef. It turns out perfectly tender in a slow cooker.

It's definitely one kitchen gadget (along with my breadmaker) which gets a LOT of use :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for that.
    I was just baffled by the idea of pastry in a slow cooker. Should have thought it through.:o
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

Thank you Mrkite, someone finally answered me. I'm going to have a look now.

Thanks again :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're mega cheap in Sains at the mo - particularly the small ones. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I cook any meat based dish, eg stews or bolognese, I usually brown/seal the meat before I cook it proper. Do you still do this with a slow cooker or just bung it all in?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I cook any meat based dish, eg stews or bolognese, I usually brown/seal the meat before I cook it proper. Do you still do this with a slow cooker or just bung it all in?

You can if you like the colour that browning gives.
    I don't bother, though. But I never did before I had a slow cooker either.
    My other half does and was scandalised to hear that I didn't.
    Heh. Scandalised AFTER he'd eaten something I'd slow-cooked and told me it was delicious.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do with sausages & mince.
    I don't bother with chicken, pork or turkey.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Miss Poppy wrote: »

Miss Poppy

They are excellent! You can put on a stew or casserole when you go to work in the morning and it will be ready for you coming home to dinner in the evening.We use ours a lot, well worth the money.

I also experiment using it as a water bath for meat for short periods and it works excellent for this as well.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »

How many months did it take them to deliver? :eek:
  • Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not used my slow cooker for a few months but this thread has made me want to get it out. Would anyone like to share some recipes please?