The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    It's "Splash"!!!

"Splash" is the future.......

Hmm, it'll probably dive in the second series (pun fully intended).
    Tottenham v Lyon? That'll appeal to the ITV heartland.

True, tough I guess it'll rate better than whatever fair they were going air between 8.30 and 10.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Ignore.
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few BBC One AI's from W/C 28/01/13:

Africa - 95 :eek:
    Mrs Brown's Boys - 91
    Miranda - 89
    Death in Paradise - 88

Thanks to DanMicky77
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    :D I guess CBS will be slightly disappointed that both FOX and NBC gained greater figures for the Superbowl than they did. Is CBS seen as inferior, sports wise, to the other two networks like ITV and Channel 5 are here compared to the BBC? :o
    Overlooking their Olympics coverage this year NBC's sports coverage is usually very good (I think). And even the Olympics coverage that they actually did wasn't bad. It was just plagued by some odd editorial decisions. In general the slight Super Bowl fluctuations from year-to-year can be chalked up to the games themselves and the teams in them. And in the grand scheme of things these are very small fluctuations year-to-year.
    To be fair to Elementary, I don't think Big Bang Theory would have done much better in the post-show spot as it was on so late. Being a 30 minute show instead of an hour long and higher starting base would have helped but the delay hurt CBS there.
    It would have been an hour long Big Bang Theory.

In general I still think CBS should have gone for some kind of comedy mash-up after the Super Bowl. Big Bang Theory meets Two and a Half Men meets Mike & Molly is theoretically achievable given that they're all Chuck Lorre shows. And in fact 2 Broke Girls is Warner Bros. as well so they could have probably tried to throw that in as well. They're basically the only network that could actually do something like that as well.
    Charnham wrote: »
    Given that not even the Superbowl can dent Downton Abbey...
    Worth remembering that most of American television basically shuts down on Super Bowl Sunday which frees up a floating audience that are looking for anything other than the Super Bowl. They had similar uplift last year for Super Bowl Sunday as well if memory serves.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »

It would have been an hour long Big Bang Theory.

In general I still think CBS should have gone for some kind of comedy mash-up after the Super Bowl. Big Bang Theory meets Two and a Half Men meets Mike & Molly is theoretically achievable given that they're all Chuck Lorre shows. And in fact 2 Broke Girls is Warner Bros. as well so they could have probably tried to throw that in as well. They're basically the only network that could actually do something like that as well.

Worth remembering that most of American television basically shuts down on Super Bowl Sunday which frees up a floating audience that are looking for anything other than the Super Bowl. They had similar uplift last year for Super Bowl Sunday as well if memory serves.

An hour long Big Bang Theory would have done double what Elementary, a crossover with the other CBS sitcoms would have been interesting although crossovers are pretty rare now in sitcoms but still common in dramas like CSI, NCIS: Los Angeles and Hawaii Five-0.

I believe HBO and Showtime show new episodes but they usually are lower rated but I imagine repeat airings go up when this happens.
  • WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astonishing figures for My Kitchen Rules last night for Seven, with even more shocking numbers for both The Block All Stars premiere and Masterchef The Professionals

My Kitchen Rules secured 2.23m viewers, against the 2 big brands on Nine and Ten. In turn The Block launched to 0.96m viewers and Matserchef fell to 0.63m. MKR had more 16-39s watching it than the entire Masterchef audience, how the mighty have fallen. Seven really know how to cast these sort of series and by airing it Monday-Wednesday rather than Monday-Thursday it meant the 'bad guys' were up against the start of the Block meaning TV and Radio coverage was all about MKR. Also by not over exposing brands Seven seems to give formats much longer life, Masterchef on the other hand has now featured 5 different versions, and only the main brand does well. I'm surprised ITV or Channel 4 haven't looked into securing the rights to My Kitchen Rules really.

Revenge's return had 1.5m viewers, despite The Block rating higher than big bang repeats, Home and Away still managed more than 1.02m, and a new episode of Big Bang outrated The Block before it with 1.06m.

Sarah's return to Neighbours saw it get just 249,000 viewers. Still think thiis should have moved back to Ten rather than Simpsons repeats
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    My Kitchen Rules secured 2.23m viewers, against the 2 big brands on Nine and Ten. In turn The Block launched to 0.96m viewers and Matserchef fell to 0.63m. MKR had more 16-39s watching it than the entire Masterchef audience, how the mighty have fallen. Seven really know how to cast these sort of series and by airing it Monday-Wednesday rather than Monday-Thursday it meant the 'bad guys' were up against the start of the Block meaning TV and Radio coverage was all about MKR. Also by not over exposing brands Seven seems to give formats much longer life, Masterchef on the other hand has now featured 5 different versions, and only the main brand does well. I'm surprised ITV or Channel 4 haven't looked into securing the rights to My Kitchen Rules

MKR would be a good daytime show with a few tweaks such as having teams representing different parts of the UK. It looks like a fun format.
  • sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,473
    Forum Member
    Very late catching up on Sunday night's figures.

An absolutely brilliant performance from Call the Midwife. It's doing everything the BBC could have hoped for with its second series, and the lead-out is helping Countryfile to some amazing numbers too. It's left DOI skating perilously close to extinction (though I still don't think thats likely next year - it's too big a gap to risk filling until they have to).

In the circumstances, I think ITV can be very pleased with how Mr Selfridge has stabilised. A very serviceable hit indeed, and one that will now surely return. Ripper Street is having to work hard to keep its head above 5m, but glad to see it's still surviving and will now definitely be back. I think both those series have the potential to grow - especially if they avoid each other next year - so a job well done on both sides.

Mrs Brown's Boys - 91
    Miranda - 89
    Death in Paradise - 88

Thanks to DanMicky77

Astonishing for Africa. It's created far fewer headlines than Frozen Planet did 18 months ago - but in ratings and appreciation terms, has done just as magnificently.

And there's a figure that will make Mrs Brown's critics even angrier. Not only to 14m+ people a week turn out to watch - most of them love it! Massively important that BBC One has this secured to return at Christmas - and hopefully beyond that.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    I didn't know that cohen had persuaded brendan o carroll to present as mrs brown as a game show. Wonder how hes gonna fit all that in while movie writing. Cohen would have been better persuading him to write a few more episodes fornext year still will be great for bbc ratings if they can launch a good entertainment show out of the mrs brown brand and great o carroll wants to stay with the beeb. He is their biggest product in years. I hope they can unearth something else that captures the audience as this programme has and build a comedy wall to defeat itv schedule.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Good Friday:
    9.00 Shetland
    10.30 BBC News
    10.50 The Graham Norton Show

Easter Saturday:
    9.00 Shetland
    10.30 The National Lottery
    10.40 BBC News
    11.00 Match of the Day
    Easter does look a bit full, which could cause some programmes to get lost. I would suggest leaving one for the May bank holiday, but I imagine that's where Mayday will be going.

Sorry to be a git but this is a pointless discussion, when they say it's going to start at Easter they don't mean definitely on one of those four days, they mean around Easter. Not even the Beeb if they were rolling in cash would fling out new high profile drama on four consecutive evenings. And that schedule is ridiculous because why would they dump consistently excellent performers Norton and MOTD to late night slots so they can cram in a drama they can show any week of the year.
    just looked the schedules for next week, in just one week bbc one goes from looking super strong to piss weak!!!!!

SUNDAY BAFTA V MR SELFRIDGE
    MONDAY PENGUINS... V LEWIS
    TUESDAY DEATH IN PARADISE V FOOTBALL
    WEDNESDAY DIY SOS V FROM THE HEART
    THURSDAY CRIMEWATCH V FOOTBALL
    FRIDAY NEW TRICKS (R) V GREAT NIGHT OUT

please tell me this is a one off dodgy week, I could see some close battles there, but all the same bbc1 deserve to lose!!!

Rubbish, the BAFTAs may not rate spectacularly - but they do alright - but whatever they lose in ratings they gain in prestige and the column inches on the front of every newspaper. Crimewatch has been on for thirty years so it's a bit late to be moaning about that. And I don't see why you write off the Penguins documentary, it's a BBC natural history documentary, it might not be an epic like Africa but landmark series like that are clearly rare occasions, it'll be a high quality programme with mass appeal.

DIY SOS isn't that good but it seems to rate alright and all channels need returnable factual formats, so that only leaves the New Tricks repeats which are of episodes that have only been shown once and it's a big hit show. Rather one repeat in seven days in February if it stops us having several days of repeats in a week in the summer. They were showing repeats in primetime even when they were swimming in cash. And the ITV line-up hardly looks that good.
    Fudd wrote: »
    The last improv show they created (Thank God You're Here) was hardly a success. I'm slightly surprised they're trying again.

That was rubbish, though, really badly executed, because it was far too long (an hour was ridiculous) and it wasn't big or exciting enough for a 9pm slot, it was off-peak viewing. And it was a rather dull format to boot.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they had done a pilot of Mrs Brown's Celebrities but decided not to make a series, at least not for now?
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Outnumbered repeat flops with 3.6m and knocks MBB down to 6.43m

Stupid BSI, they should have worked out a better solution.

Dancing on Edge 2.3m, includes HD.

Lewis got no uplift from lack of Miranda, it dropped to 5.8m. Back to 2 hours on Sunday or Wednesday please...

But story of night is 3.27m for King Dick 3 doc on 4
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

Mrs Brown's Boys - 91
    Miranda - 89
    Death in Paradise - 88

Thanks to DanMicky77

Africa has been incredible. The BBC at its finest.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Wryip wrote: »
    I'm surprised ITV or Channel 4 haven't looked into securing the rights to My Kitchen Rules really.

Presumably because its just a rip off of ITV's own Come dine with me format with bits stolen off Masterchef added on.

Australia is a unique market tbh and what works there (a daily primetime version of the Biggest Loser etc)doesn't always work every place else. The Block being the biggest example of that.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Outnumbered repeat flops with 3.6m and knocks MBB down to 6.43m

Stupid BSI, they should have worked out a better solution.

Dancing on Edge 2.3m, includes HD.

Lewis got no uplift from lack of Miranda, it dropped to 5.8m. Back to 2 hours on Sunday or Wednesday please...

Thought it would do well but didn't think it would pass 3 million, glad it did.
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @TVRatingsUK: Monday top rated: Corrie 9.54m/9.58m; EastEnders 8.38m; Emmerdale 7.50m; BBC Reg News 6.72m; Mrs Brown's Boys 6.43m; Lewis 5.80m.

Quiz shows yesterday: Perfection 1.12m (13.6%); Pointless 3.67m (22.1%); Tipping Point 2.13m (18.3%); The Chase 3.56m (22.6%).
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abysmal performance from Channel 5 at 9pm last night. Only 600,000 for Rory & Will.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dillan wrote: »
    @TVRatingsUK: Monday top rated: Corrie 9.54m/9.58m; EastEnders 8.38m; Emmerdale 7.50m; BBC Reg News 6.72m; Mrs Brown's Boys 6.43m; Lewis 5.80m.

Quiz shows yesterday: Perfection 1.12m (13.6%); Pointless 3.67m (22.1%); Tipping Point 2.13m (18.3%); The Chase 3.56m (22.6%).

Interesting stats. MBB declining due to Sat repeat ? Pointless beating The Chase . EE holding up altho' nothing happening!!
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3.7m with +1.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Special programme ''Goodbye Television Centre'' on BBC1 March 15.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Why did that Richard III doc get 3.7 million ?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Abysmal performance from Channel 5 at 9pm last night. Only 600,000 for Rory & Will.
    About the same as what it got last week then ? You weren't expecting a sudden uplift, were you? It's being moved to 7pm next week for a reason. :D
    It was all over the news yesterday that the skeleton found was that of Richard III.
  • kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was a major news story and has been discussed for some time. It's not every day that the body of a King is found...
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re MBB: Brendan hinted strongly in The Sun the other day there would be a series 4 in 2014. He said the BBC wanted it but were not putting any pressure on him.Bearing in mind its huge success I have no doubt the various parties will find a way......
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,939
    Forum Member

Why watch a couple blokes being dicks, when there was a right Royal Dick on C4?
This discussion has been closed.