Bizarre Radio 2 Cover Presenters

FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
Forum Member
So with John Bishop covering for Graham Norton it appears the choices for holiday cover get even more bizarre.

Martine McCutcheon is looking after Paul O Grady's show for the next couple of Sundays and next week Dermot is away and his cover is by Charlotte Church.

Confused as to how these stand in presenters help the cost cutting exercises that have recently been introduced.

Comments

• RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can’t understand it why do they persist in using so called personality presenters to cover shows, The worst case being Patrick Kielty in for Steve Wright, surly they could be using there own presenters or from BBC local stations to cover some of the shows!!!
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    When it comes to cover presenters with the odd exception Radio 2 have lost the plot.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    So with John Bishop covering for Graham Norton it appears the choices for holiday cover get even more bizarre.

Martine McCutcheon is looking after Paul O Grady's show for the next couple of Sundays and next week Dermot is away and his cover is by Charlotte Church.

Confused as to how these stand in presenters help the cost cutting exercises that have recently been introduced.

Bob still loves female cover. Martine recently covered Emma Bunton on Heart. Charlotte Church has covered Anneka Rice before? I remember this used to happen on Radio One in the old days. Pet Shop Boys and Diana Ross covered for Simon Bates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    I can’t understand it why do they persist in using so called personality presenters to cover shows, The worst case being Patrick Kielty in for Steve Wright, surly they could be using there own presenters or from BBC local stations to cover some of the shows!!!

I always wondered and many others have questioned that.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    The main trouble with celebrity presenters is that they don't know when to shut up & play music. I can solve that though I give them a try & if I don't like them I tune out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like too hear Steve Penk on Radio 2. MR SHENNAN
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not Radio 2 but when there was a strike last year that saw a number of 6 Music presenters walk out, Tim Burgess from The Charlatans filled in for Lauren Laverne. It was not good

That was a case of Bob being happy with someone who had never done radio before
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    The main trouble with celebrity presenters is that they don't know when to shut up & play music. I can solve that though I give them a try & if I don't like them I tune out.

Doesn't that also apply to many supposedly professional presenters? At least some of the celebrity ones can have something interesting to say. :)
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    I can’t understand it why do they persist in using so called personality presenters to cover shows

Probably because they are people the public know rather than taking in some random Dave Doubledecks type from BBC Radio Crapshire that no-one outwith that stations TSA will be familiar with.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Probably because they are people the public know rather than taking in some random Dave Doubledecks type from BBC Radio Crapshire that no-one outwith that stations TSA will be familiar with.

I find it strange that someone like Zoe or Shaun aren't covering for Dermot, yes I do recall Charlotte Church covering for Anneka last year for a couple of weeks,

Martine is a stranger choice, just recently Radio 2 have used Len Goodman to cover for Paul and before that Jodie Prenger.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it strange that someone like Zoe or Shaun aren't covering for Dermot, yes I do recall Charlotte Church covering for Anneka last year for a couple of weeks,

Martine is a stranger choice, just recently Radio 2 have used Len Goodman to cover for Paul and before that Jodie Prenger.

That was a good choice and I enjoyed all of his shows.

The worst I can recall is when Cilla Black filled in for Steve Wright on his Sunday morning love songs show. Truely awful radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember when Davina McCall covered for Ken Bruce?
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jodie Prenger.

Maybe I'm getting old but who?
  • bh21bh21 Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Charlie wrote: »
    Maybe I'm getting old but who?
    Think she was runner up in the Graham Norton /Andrew Lloyd Webber find a Nancy thing on bbc1 . she was actually quite good filling in for Paul . don't know why they stopped using her
    Forum Member
    bh21 wrote: »
    Think she was runner up in the Graham Norton /Andrew Lloyd Webber find a Nancy thing on bbc1 . she was actually quite good filling in for Paul . don't know why they stopped using her

She actually won the BBC show to find a Nancy for ALW's new production of Oliver.
    She was actually very good covering for Paul as they are very alike in their musical preferences, love of pets, etc.....

Paul still uses Jodie's VoiceOver to promote the address, e mail address, etc... For the show but she hasn't covered for about a year.
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Remember when Davina McCall covered for Ken Bruce?

Made you wish for Claudia Winkleman to return.

Ken must be off soon for a couple of weeks, my guess is that he will be away once he's finished his shows from the Commonwealth Games. I wonder if it'll be Michael Ball that covers?
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Doesn't that also apply to many supposedly professional presenters? At least some of the celebrity ones can have something interesting to say. :)

Do they ?
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

Do They ?
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it'll be Michael Ball that covers?

I think it will be, I'm sure he mentioned this when he last covered....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like to see Chris Tarrant returning. How about Tim Smith? Even Simon Bates?
  • BoeyBoey Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Made you wish for Claudia Winkleman to return.

Talking of Claudia, Chris Evans is covering her show on Friday night.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Caught a bit of his show yesterday morning. While I find his dulcet Scouse tones vomit inducing he did play Split Enz - Message To My Girl, which is a change from I Got You.

One of my bug bears about Radio 2 and a lot of big stations. Artists have more than one song, although you wouldn't think it.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tuned into Radio 2 for Paul O'Grady this afternoon to find Martine McCutcheon. I quickly tuned out.

I was like WTF? She was terrible. That horrid Estuary English. Terrible. And I dread to think what this woman was paid by a 'cost cutting' station paid for this creep who 'can't do without Ralph Lauren bed linen' when she went bust.

The Global abomination of the airwaves is bad enough. Between Keilty, Rice, Norton & Feltz can Radio 2 get any worse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boey wrote: »
    Talking of Claudia, Chris Evans is covering her show on Friday night.

I see that. Good on them using there own. Has someone been grassing too the boss saying what people are on here? 'Use there own current staff?
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought John Bishop's second show in the Norton slot was better than his first, good chat with Nicholas Parsons. I also like Keilty. As for those who say send for Simon Bates, I always found him insufferable in his Radio 1 days. Must be something wrong with me.......