Best time of the day to sit practical driving test?

2»

Comments

• bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    The test I passed was at 9.30am on a Saturday, the test I failed was 1.30pm on a Tuesday. Quiet roads on both days, my single major fault was due to another driver pulling in between myself and a truck as I was coming off a dual carriageway and I didn't pull back quick enough, therefore breaking the 2-second rule mantra that the instructor lived his life by.

Basically: Anything can happen whenever you take your test.

It would be interesting to hear from any Driving school professionals or Examiners etc as to whether there is any statistical or graphical information of the pass/fail rate based on time of day/day of the week/weekend/time of year etc. ONS doesn’t seem to have anything.

Would all DSA Driving Test Examiners have a similar pass/fail rate ratio over a 12 month period? .. and if not, why not?

Do Driving school professionals have their ‘preferred’ Test Examiners when they turn up at the test centre. i.e. great! You’ve got ‘Mr Nice’ or..... oh no! you’ve got ‘Mr Nasty’.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to hear from any Driving school professionals or Examiners etc as to whether there is any statistical or graphical information of the pass/fail rate based on time of day/day of the week/weekend/time of year etc. ONS doesn’t seem to have anything.

Would all DSA Driving Test Examiners have a similar pass/fail rate ratio over a 12 month period? .. and if not, why not?

Do Driving school professionals have their ‘preferred’ Test Examiners when they turn up at the test centre. i.e. great! You’ve got ‘Mr Nice’ or..... oh no! you’ve got ‘Mr Nasty’.

I remember when I sat mine there was a grumpy lady that most instructors didn't want their students to have, however this lady took three of my friends and passed two of them, yes she was grumpy but she passed people who could drive. I got a lovely guy and who also took my brother and friend and failed them both because they weren't ready and made mistakes.

I think a lot of people try and figure out the best way to pass and ultimately the only sure way is to be prepared and know what you're doing. Time, assessor etc aren't a big factor in it.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    No I agree with this, I read the post wrong that I quoted.

fair enough:)
    Forum Member
    I remember when I sat mine there was a grumpy lady that most instructors didn't want their students to have, however this lady took three of my friends and passed two of them, yes she was grumpy but she passed people who could drive. I got a lovely guy and who also took my brother and friend and failed them both because they weren't ready and made mistakes.

I think a lot of people try and figure out the best way to pass and ultimately the only sure way is to be prepared and know what you're doing. Time, assessor etc aren't a big factor in it.

Based on your small sample that may be the case, but the wider picture may be somewhat different...........I’m not saying you are wrong by the way! :)

But it would be interesting to see some hard evidence, if indeed any actually exists,.... which seems unlikely.
  • KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I think that a lot of this is probably dependent on the driving school and the examiners themselves.

That said, my driving instructor advised me to book the last test of the day on either a Monday or Friday because the examiners at that particular test centre had a a habit of cutting exams a little short and letting more minor errors slide... So I did, and he was right, my test was cut short and most of the other learners out at the same time had already returned before me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    There isn't one.
    As a driving instructor I can say with some certainty that it's equally possible to pass or fail the DSA driving test at any time of day.
    You're being tested on your ability to drive safely and cope with whatever the prevailing road conditions are at the time and place of the test.

If anyone is doubting their ability to drive at certain times of day, or under certain conditions, then they are not ready for a driving test in my opinion and should postpone it.
    Forum Member

If anyone is doubting their ability to drive at certain times of day, or under certain conditions, then they are not ready for a driving test in my opinion and should postpone it.

Young people taking a driving test have it so easy these days.

I wish they’d just pipe-down and get on with it; nice warm car in winter, cool and air-conditioned in summer, power steering, servo-power brakes, electrically operated and adjustable this and that.......luxury.

My driving test was so long ago it’s hard to recall, however, it was a snowy-freezing January day and I do remember thinking “no one should be out on a horse & cart in weather like this”.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kalmia wrote: »
    I think that a lot of this is probably dependent on the driving school and the examiners themselves.

That said, my driving instructor advised me to book the last test of the day on either a Monday or Friday because the examiners at that particular test centre had a a habit of cutting exams a little short and letting more minor errors slide... So I did, and he was right, my test was cut short and most of the other learners out at the same time had already returned before me.

This is a very dangerous accusation to make. Why do you believe your test was "cut short"?
    Every UK driving test must last a minimum of 30 minutes on road time. That is one of a number of legal requirements of every test.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very dangerous accusation to make. Why do you believe your test was "cut short"?
    Every UK driving test must last a minimum of 30 minutes on road time. That is one of a number of legal requirements of every test.

Indeed. I would think they need to be reported. Also not sure about the comment about letting minor errors slide, why would they need to let them slide when you are allowed 15 minors in any case? I would say that poster doesn't know what they are talking about.
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you given a list of routes and then pick one before each test or how does it work? Say you had a student and they whizzed through their manoeuvres and the roads were super quiet meaning they finished what you had planned well before the 30 minute allocation, would you just get them to drive around until the 30 minutes were up?
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you given a list of routes and then pick one before each test or how does it work? Say you had a student and they whizzed through their manoeuvres and the roads were super quiet meaning they finished what you had planned well before the 30 minute allocation, would you just get them to drive around until the 30 minutes were up?

This does happen occasionally (happened to me twice today in fact).
    In these instances we extend the route so we are out past 30 minutes. When we extend we try using roads that other agreed routes cover rather than throwing unexpected junctions and other situations that would be deemed too challenging at them.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I would say it depends on whether your concentration is best in the morning or afternoons for you.

I once had a test at around 8.45am but my instructor had me out for a few hours before hand to get me in practice. But for me it was a killer being awake at 6.30am!!! I was shattered. To me I blamed that for failing my test first time round.
    I passed in the afternoon.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I did mine at 08:45 when the traffic was fairly heavy. As a consequence, I spent 5 minutes getting out of the test centre waiting for the others in front of me to find a gap in the traffic, and then the next 10 minutes crawling down a road in stop/start traffic, before turning off into a housing estate to do turns and reverses. As far as I was concerned, just sitting in traffic meant I was less likely to make any serious mistakes than if I was driving about.

I also had a driving examiners examiner in the car with us, and the two of them spent most of their time yakking about where the examiner had been on holiday whilst we were sat in the traffic!
    I passed my test back in 1979 and I had another chap in the back seat watching the driving examiner. Initially it added to my anxiety but once in the car I forgot he was there! He didn't utter a word and I only became aware of him again when I had to do my reversing, he laid down n the back seat to avoid obstructing my view!
    I passed anyway and this March will have been driving for 35 years.