What do you remember taping of the TV to a Betamax tape

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
Forum Member
Just wondering , What do you remember taping of the TV to a Betamax tape

Comments

• valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have a Betamax tape of Live Aid, 1985.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Australian Made' .. compilation of Australian and New Zealand bands of the early 80's period and I taped it in 1983 (and still have it)
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'OFF the TV' I think, not 'of the TV.'
  • TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    321 with Ted Rogers:D
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blakes 7, and probably an episode or two of Angels for my mum who couldn't work the video :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering , What do you remember taping of the TV to a Betamax tape

You tend to make alot of these requests but whenever I reply to you asking what you have you never reply.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    You tend to make alot of these requests but whenever I reply to you asking what you have you never reply.

Oh sorry , i have nothing on Betamax however i have loads of recorded VHS tapes with allsorts of things like old kids shows , films , soaps ect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sorry , i have nothing on Betamax however i have loads of recorded VHS tapes with allsorts of things like old kids shows , films , soaps ect

PM me a list of what you have.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of betamax tapes still of things I did on TV around the early 80s. Probably just chat shows. Probably all mush now as have not been able to play them in decades.

Must have hundreds of VHS tapes from about 30 + years ago onward. Might have one of Rory Bremner's first TV appearance as I recall that we were on breakfast TV together soon after it started when I had never heard of him (or him of me, needless to say!) :)

First drama I recall recording and keeping was in 1983 I think - Flipside of Dominic Hyde with a very young Harry from Spooks to be as a time traveller.
  • conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of betamax tapes still of things I did on TV around the early 80s. Probably just chat shows. Probably all mush now as have not been able to play them in decades.

Must have hundreds of VHS tapes from about 30 + years ago onward. Might have one of Rory Bremner's first TV appearance as I recall that we were on breakfast TV together soon after it started when I had never heard of him (or him of me, needless to say!) :)

First drama I recall recording and keeping was in 1983 I think - Flipside of Dominic Hyde with a very young Harry from Spooks to be as a time traveller.

If you have a charity shop near you that is registered to sell electrical items, there is a good possibility of picking up a VHS brick for a tenner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    If you have a charity shop near you that is registered to sell electrical items, there is a good possibility of picking up a VHS brick for a tenner.

Or some kind people would happily transfer them to dvd for free,
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Nothing, my family never had Betamax, even before I was born. I do have a cupboard full of VHS tapes though with various things taped off the TV.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am old enough, but never knew anyone that had betamax
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a Betamax but one of my mates was nearly killed up a top loading VHS, vicious items!

I did look through about 20 VHS tapes before I threw them and my old VHS player away. I had taped one film on three different videos, The Saint with Val Kilmer, goodness knows why, its a really really bad film!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah those old tapes that would store 90 minutes on.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember the day we got our first video player. Ran home all the way from school only to find my dad had bought a Betamax. Devastated dosen't even come close.

I think there was 1 film available to rent on that format & it was a two bus journey to get to the video shop :(
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snowman for my kids and it must have been played zillions of times. Sad as I am from the hundreds of Betamax tapes we had, I just couldn't throw that one out despite having nothing to play it on.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have a working Betamax video recorder and also a working Philips video recorder which was around before the Betamax system.

I have loads of old stuff on tapes in both those formats as well as VHS.

I don't use them anymore but every few months or so, I get them out, blow off the dust and run through a few tapes when I have nothing to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember the day we got our first video player. Ran home all the way from school only to find my dad had bought a Betamax. Devastated dosen't even come close.

I think there was 1 film available to rent on that format & it was a two bus journey to get to the video shop :(

The old 70 quid film yeah.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    PM me a list of what you have.

a few things wich i have are old CITV shows , Animal Hospital and loads of other stuff
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I still have a Betamax tape of Live Aid, 1985.

Just as a matter of interest do you still have anything to play it on ( and if so does it still work? )
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't remember what we recorded, but I remember buying Purple Rain on Betamax on a trip to London HMV.

Thankfully we didn't get a Philips 2000 which my uncle had as they were way to bulky.

We later got a VHS when it was obvious they were going to take over from Betamax. But thankfully our video shop had both in stock for most of the life of the betamax.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember what we recorded, but I remember buying Purple Rain on Betamax on a trip to London HMV.

Thankfully we didn't get a Philips 2000 which my uncle had as they were way to bulky.

We later got a VHS when it was obvious they were going to take over from Betamax. But thankfully our video shop had both in stock for most of the life of the betamax.

Bulky yes, but the picture quality was way better than both VHS and Betamax, though some of the last models were a lot better. There was the added bonus of being able to record on both sides of the tape, but Phillips had previously been in at the creation of the Audio cassette. Unfortunately it was the price that did for them in the end. I was a big fan but had to down grade to VHS.

I never had a beta Max but I knew people who had one. My lasting memory is the top loading machines were forever failing mechanically and tapes were always getting trapped inside. However picture quality wise they were better than VHS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a few things wich i have are old CITV shows , Animal Hospital and loads of other stuff

Sounds interesting. Send me a pm.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Incredibly my friend on the way to school had Betamax circa 1981, I had nothing at this point.

On the way to school he had to hand in the membership form for the local video hire shop.

Incredibly it was ten pounds to join 33 years ago :o

You did get a free pen though:D