What Ireland needs next year...

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
Forum Member
✭✭✭
a classy ballad with simple staging in the vein of this;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkroAc1c76c

In fact, Samantha Mumba would be an amazing choice for eurovision too as her live voice is fantastic. I actually think it would give her a real career-boost in Europe and would restore a lot of goodwill towards her a home.
Unlike other has-beens, she's still young and could be very successful again too

Comments

• Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree on the simple ballad, with tin whisles and bodhrans are banned!

Samantha Mumba wouldn't be a bad choice actually. She annoys me a bit but she's a good singer and has charisma.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes anything that conjures up images of "Oireshness" must be completely banned so no bodhrans, whistles, smiley fiddle-playing girls, crap backing singers doing cheesy hand movements, and certainly no dancers of any kind.
    Also the backdrop must be free of any Celtic-inspired designs whatsoever!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't they use the format of The Hit to choose the song they only had to push it back a few weeks too would be a perfect way to do a national final, I guess they wanted to keep it separate from Eurovision though maybe for international sales of the format
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should test a well known singer id like the corrs to do it
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland deliberately sabotaged themselves again. They've no money to host the show so why put a good song out there. This year's effort was appalling and no surprise it didn't get through to the final.
  • rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think they should enter something in the Irish language , it's very musical and it would make them stand out a lot , think of something like Estonia 2009 , 20012 or Albania 2012 , magical sounding language and I think it would do well , especially with juries , it's disappointing that they've only once ever sent something (1973) in the native language!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I will tell you being Irish.

We cannot get rid of the RTE influence, but we can agitate for rid of old hasbeens like Linda Martin, Johnny Logan, Louis Walsh and a load of other hanger onners like that stupid bint Kanasweran this year.
    Always in the know and who to approach with their awful ideas of what is good.

Move it off the LLS - it's audience is half dead and the presenter is actually rigor. PLus the sound quality is awful..and the setting..anyway

Either down one of two routes:

1. Encourage unknown songwriters and musicians and take a chance for a few years.
    The bunch of inbreds and inmates and inner circle around now is nauseating to the Irish ESC fans, including the uber arsehole Derek Mooney where every piece of shyte entered is FABULOUS without an iota of ctricism or advice, yeah because he and his rotten bunch of mates gets to travel 1st class and camp away on the back of our crap song, the load of useless arses.

Or 2, go the established artist route and do away with some spudeater in Limerick going 'Jooosiee from down the road 12 voootes because she's a neighbour like'
    Yes. every TV vote in Ireland is county based no matter how bad the imbecile act is.

Do away with public vote & RTE insider judges ( a tacky nightclub hostess puts her sister into the final, where would you get it), failed former winners and use good judges of songs and singers behind closed doors for a while, a bit like the UK in fact.<--I know that turned out bad loads of times better than voting Scooch though.

Because, remember - the public are arseholes but the clique are uber wnkers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    cezzy wrote: »
    Ireland deliberately sabotaged themselves again. They've no money to host the show so why put a good song out there. This year's effort was appalling and no surprise it didn't get through to the final.

This is actually an urban myth and I wish, I presume, normally intelligent people would stop being so fécking stupid.
    As if the BBC want the cost because the UK is so cash rich right now - FFS.

Mind you, it's the most money efficient show to show each year.
    But just stop the above nonsense, that dirge was voted by the public.
    Go figure.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is actually an urban myth and I wish, I presume, normally intelligent people would stop being so fécking stupid.
    As if the BBC want the cost because the UK is so cash rich right now - FFS.

Mind you, it's the most money efficient show to show each year.
    But just stop the above nonsense, that dirge was voted by the public.
    Go figure.

It also doesn't tie in with the fact that the reception when Ryan Dolan finished last year was so great that rte bosses were sitting in terror in case he actually won.

As for what they need to do, get it off the late late show for starters, I don't know much about The Hit but the You're a star format brought us one of our best placings this century.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    what they need is me... i will write a song and enter for them :)
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We cannot get rid of the RTE influence, but we can agitate for rid of old hasbeens like Linda Martin, Johnny Logan, Louis Walsh and a load of other hanger onners like that stupid bint Kanasweran this year.

Move it off the LLS - it's audience is half dead and the presenter is actually rigor. PLus the sound quality is awful..and the setting..anyway

1. Encourage unknown songwriters and musicians and take a chance for a few years.
    The bunch of inbreds and inmates and inner circle around now is nauseating to the Irish ESC fans, including the uber arsehole Derek Mooney where every piece of shyte entered is FABULOUS without an iota of ctricism or advice, yeah because he and his rotten bunch of mates gets to travel 1st class and camp away on the back of our crap song, the load of useless arses.

Or 2, go the established artist route and do away with some spudeater in Limerick going 'Jooosiee from down the road 12 voootes because she's a neighbour like'
    Yes. every TV vote in Ireland is county based no matter how bad the imbecile act is.

Do away with public vote & RTE insider judges ( a tacky nightclub hostess puts her sister into the final, where would you get it), failed former winners and use good judges of songs and singers behind closed doors for a while, a bit like the UK in fact.<--I know that turned out bad loads of times better than voting Scooch though.

Excellent points. It needs to be moved out of that godforsaken Late Late studio once and for all and into a proper venue.

They should make sure Linda Martin & Co. have nothing more to do with the contest. It's time for some fresh ideas and fresh faces.

Too often too we're trying to second guess the European audience and going for "Eurovisiony" songs they might like. We should be trying to find a great commercial pop song instead.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I thought this year's entry was a sure fire top 5. I couldn't believe it didn't get through.
  • shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with this. What we need is to get away from trying to create a "eurosong" and put forward an Irish song from decent writers and no gimmickry. Get it out of the Late Late domain and remove the parish voting element.

In saying that.....
    Personally I thought this year's entry was a sure fire top 5. I couldn't believe it didn't get through.

......I also agree with this. The fact is the song was actually quite strong, Kasey's voice was just too weak. Can you imagine Conchita singing it? It would have been so much better.
  • BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need either an internal selection or a proper national final with a producer appointed to stage each entry in the NF in best way possible so people get an idea what it will look like actually at Eurovision (not exactly the same but you get my drift - testing the artists ability to connect with the camera and move around)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTE have listened! Mentors gone for next year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/mu...ntry-1.1791050

Let's just hope they give us a proper national final next year, or select a credible entry internally.
  • BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could understand the mentors if it was a Jedward say who have done well at the contest recently or even a non Irish person who has done well recently and has the experience. What experience at Eurovision did Hazel have?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Heartbeat was a decent song but the production and vocals really let it down.
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Heartbeat is a decent song and on the CD sounds really good. Unfortunately not only did Kasey get the harder semi-finale but her performance was not up to much. Her vocals were very ropey and the overall presentation was not good.

So in all honesty I don't think Ireland did much wrong as the song was decent, just didn't go the way they hoped on the night.
  • Nick_PirceNick_Pirce Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTE need to change the selection process we need an Irish Meldofestivalen
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Suzy07 wrote: »
    RTE have listened! Mentors gone for next year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/mu...ntry-1.1791050

Let's just hope they give us a proper national final next year, or select a credible entry internally.

Wow, some sense from Louis Walsh for once :o
    I though the song and singer were good enough, but I told her (Kasey Smith) to lose those dancers, because it is distracting from the song. The staging let us down. Her dress wasn’t great either. That being said, I was sure the song was going to get through.”
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Male singer + Celtic music. Should be more appealing.
  • Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enter an Irish folk band singing in Irish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Male singer + Celtic music. Should be more appealing.

No more Celtic music for at least another five years please, and even then it needs to be authentic and not shoehorned into a pop song.
  • AliBaba2010AliBaba2010 Posts: 4,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should get Ruth-Anne Cunningham to write it. An Irish person with a track record of writing actual international hits!
  • shinnyrshinnyr Posts: 2,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://youtu.be/94nUFYKpa-U

This would have faired much better. Production could have been focused around a Movie theme but we sent the "Eurosong" !!