Gary Glitter omitted from I lov 73

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the BBC can't win. Whether they show him nor not there will be complaints either way.
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Happens all the time now pretend they did not exist. One of the great lines has now been permantly cut from OFAH.

Elsie Partridge "A woman with long blonde hair has come forward, rings and bracelets adorn her wrists"

Del Boy "You know who that is dont you".

It now cuts straight to "she is proud of her children".

No longer do we get.

D "You know who that is dont you"

Trigger "Sounds Like Jimmy Saville"

Gold not only show this episode in full without edits they seem to have a 'directors cut' as there is loads of extra dialogue throughout, especially in the seance scene.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Obviously Glitter and Saville are very sick depraved men but you can not pretend they existed. Why not delete us of Hitler or Stalin?

Sadly, The Daily Mail dictates a lot in this country and it seems to be rubbing off not just with the BBC, but other channels and politcians.

1984 is a reality - pretend every trace never existed.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What gets on my nerves is the hypocrisy of pretending Glitter doesn't exist while a certain deceased American pop singer is glorified,one had the best legal team money could buy the other didn't.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    What gets on my nerves is the hypocrisy of pretending Glitter doesn't exist while a certain deceased American pop singer is glorified,one had the best legal team money could buy the other didn't.

One was guilty one was not...thats the law.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Peado who should be erased from all tv past or future.

I always feel that those most outraged by Glitter and his ilk are a bit too much in need of self affirmation. :confused:
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    One was guilty one was not...thats the law.

And one was a hero in the la ghettos
    In one of the most violent areas of LA
    Imagine a mainly White jury had found Jackson guilty
    oh and Do you Really seriously believe that All the kids who visited Jackson's
    Never never land, were not abused in any way :confused:
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    And one was a hero in the la ghettos
    In one of the most violent areas of LA
    Imagine a mainly White jury had found Jackson guilty
    oh and Do you Really seriously believe that All the kids who visited Jackson's
    Never never land, were not abused in any way :confused:

What went on behind doors no one knows for sure, but he was cleared so for me case closed unless some hard evidence appears.

As someone said the bbc would be slated either way.
    Forum Member
    England world cup song, or One of them
    Is a remake of the old Glitter band hit let's get together again, I Really hope the word Glitter doesn't affect sales and airplay in
    This? Had a fb message from a founder member who says he hopes to get airplay from it
    Lets hope so
    oh and for Record the Glitt-er band knee nothing or have been convicted of any offense but unfortunately some believe they have usually Murdoch/dacre right wing rubbish they http://www.worldcupsong.com/england_will_win_it_again_cloned.htmread.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    I have a recording of Top of the Pops 1977, recorded on January 2012 showing Glitter.
    This was obviously broadcasted after his pedophilia was outed.

There were complaints to the BBC about this. However, this was the absolute tail end of his glam career and the BBC won't have to worry again until the 1984 revival.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peado who should be erased from all tv past or future.

The late Joe Orton, one of the greatest playwrights of the 1960s, liked underage boys. He was never convicted, but there's no doubt about his passions as he recorded them in detail in his filthy (and very funny) diaries. Are we to ban all future productions of his plays? Burn all copies of said plays? Never allow the 1987 film of his life - Prick Up Your Ears, which featured a career best performance from Gary Oldman as Orton - to be shown again? Where do we draw the line?
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    There were complaints to the BBC about this. However, this was the absolute tail end of his glam career and the BBC won't have to worry again until the 1984 revival.

He also made 2 appearances in June 77 with
    A little boogie woggie in the back of my mind his next Totp was 81 which and then she kissed me
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    The late Joe Orton, one of the greatest playwrights of the 1960s, liked underage boys. He was never convicted, but there's no doubt about his passions as he recorded them in detail in his filthy (and very funny) diaries. Are we to ban all future productions of his plays? Burn all copies of said plays? Never allow the 1987 film of his life - Prick Up Your Ears, which featured a career best performance from Gary Oldman as Orton - to be shown again? Where do we draw the line?
    Not to mention the Mega stars who got away with it in 70s there was allegations against a 70s star last year but he took actin to stop his name appearing in print
  • cgkcgk Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notorious nonce Gary Glitter is to be charged with eight sexual offences relating to girls aged between 12 and 14, the Crown Prosecution Service said on Thursday.

Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, became the first person to be arrested as part of Operation Yewtree in relation to the police inquiry into sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile, when he was taken into police custody in October 2012.

The 70-year-old was questioned by police for more than nine hours, and has been on bail ever since.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/05/gary-glitter-charged-eight-sex-offences-underage-girls?CMP=twt_gu
    Forum Member
    Not watching it myself watching football, but
    But according to Facebook they have just played Do you wanna touch me in the Rick mayall tribute programme all the way through
    True??
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Obviously Glitter and Saville are very sick depraved men but you can not pretend they existed. Why not delete us of Hitler or Stalin?

Sadly, The Daily Mail dictates a lot in this country and it seems to be rubbing off not just with the BBC, but other channels and politcians.

1984 is a reality - pretend every trace never existed.

As someone has already pointed out, if the BBC show a Gary Glitter performance, they will have to pay him royalties.

By "they", I mean "us", as we're the ones who fund the BBC.

Do you want your licence fee being used to swell the bank balance of a paedophile sex-tourist? I don't.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not watching it myself watching football, but
    But according to Facebook they have just played Do you wanna touch me in the Rick mayall tribute programme all the way through
    True??
    Who's "they"?
    The New Statesman amd Rik Mayall Presents were on ITV.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell me if Fred the weatherman and DLT were omitted from i love 1988 last Saturday?

The weird thing is if Saville/Glitter had murdered someone or blown hundreds of people up they probably wouldn't have been removed from these shows.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Fred the weatherman and DLT were omitted from i love 1988 last Saturday?

The weird thing is if Saville/Glitter had murdered someone or blown hundreds of people up they probably wouldn't have been removed from these shows.

Don't know if Fred or DLT were omited. Probably not, seeing that - as of this moment - neither has been convicted of anything. Unlike Glitter.

More importantly - the bit in bold.

How many murderers and terrorists does the BBC continue to celebrate in programmes like "I Love 1973" and TOTP2 ? Can you name some names, as I can't think of any.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Who's "they"?
    It. Was the Rik mayhall presents comedy show I think?
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    As someone has already pointed out, if the BBC show a Gary Glitter performance, they will have to pay him royalties.

By "they", I mean "us", as we're the ones who fund the BBC.

Do you want your licence fee being used to swell the bank balance of a paedophile sex-tourist? I don't.

But all of Glitter's hits were co written with Mike Leander. So Leander's estate (he died in 1996) would be entitled to a share of the money? He was survived by his wife and two children.

These decisions always have consequences and where do we stop with this post event censorship? It's air brushing history and selectively at that.

There are many other artists who have been involved in or allegedly involved in under age sex scandals including:

Don Henley of Eagles
    R. Kelly
    Chuck Berry
    Bill Wyman
    David Bowie
    Jimmy Page

Don Johnson, who was on Graham Norton at the weekend got together with his first wife Melanie Griffiths when she was 14.

I bet they get their BBC pay cheques. As I say, it's selective.
    Forum Member
    Just watched drama called dancing queen with rik mayhall and Helena Bonner Carter
    And it would have been impossible to edit out the glitter song seeing how vital \ important to the scene, and it's a great stag / hen party song too
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Just watched drama called dancing queen with rik mayhall and Helena Bonner Carter
    And it would have been impossible to edit out the glitter song seeing how vital \ important to the scene, and it's a great stag / hen party song too

Exactly. Plenty of things that still have Glitter songs in them, was watching The Full Monty the other week and there is one in that.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Who's "they"?

It was on Rik Mayall Presents.

It's important to note that those who have sex with people under the age of consent are not paedophiles if said people have gone through puberty.