Options

The last of us coming to ps4

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its good for a PS4 game, but at this time of year a decent Wii U game could top the charts.

Good for a PS4 game....? It's the fifth best selling release of the year so far. It would have reached number 1 on most weeks.

It shows there's definitely a market for remasters of AAA games. The experience ND has gained by doing this will most likely pave the way for more.
  • Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the uni level on survivor. Enjoying this just as much as I did on my first play through. Can't think of a game where the story has kept me as gripped as this. Shame they have said there's to be no sequel.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I can't work spoilers on my phone. I'll just say hotel

Nah, sorry that means nothing to me lol All the settings look the same to me. :blush: Could you provide a YouTube link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Nah, sorry that means nothing to me lol All the settings look the same to me. :blush: Could you provide a YouTube link?

All the settings look the same?? bull excrement.

so the hotel looks just like the uni or the quarantine or the woods?
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I can't work spoilers on my phone. I'll just say hotel

is this the area

for spoiler type [SPOILER...] then finish with [/SPOILER..] without the full stops
    the bit with the bloater where you have to use the key card after powering the generator.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    the bit with the bloater where you have to use the key card after powering the generator.
    I struggled with that bit until I knew you could just run about a bit without killing him and go straight to the door, once you know where you're going obviously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »
    I struggled with that bit until I knew you could just run about a bit without killing him and go straight to the door, once you know where you're going obviously

I just
    used 2 molotov's, Bloaters just can't take the heat.

But not sure if that will work on grounded level
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes was that bit.
    guy didn't even see bloater. He started generator. Ran up stairs. Hit one guy with bottle and in the door
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol I kind of hope your joking, no two areas look the same. You only go into a hotel once, and Joel and Ellie talk about it as you go in, and you spend the next hour running through bedrooms, I honestly don't know how you would forget that when you've only just played it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    lol I kind of hope your joking, no two areas look the same. You only go into a hotel once, and Joel and Ellie talk about it as you go in, and you spend the next hour running through bedrooms, I honestly don't know how you would forget that when you've only just played it.

I have the brain of a sieve, not mention I don't even notice when somebody has dyed their hair let alone distinguish between different interior designs :o When it comes to the interior design within the game they all looked the same; just seemed like abandoned houses. The only thing that distinguished them for me would be, for instance,
    spores
    or the mission objective themselves which is why when gilly said
    "hotel"
    it meant nothing. The only one that looked different to me was the
    restaurant boss mission
    with
    David.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're oblivious to half the game around you it's no wonder your not quite seeing why people are raving about this game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    If you're oblivious to half the game around you it's no wonder your not quite seeing why people are raving about this game.

Nonsense. The missions, themselves, were average. That is, the sneak/survive/craft/puzzle solving/AI/Mechanics. It just didn't live up to the hype for me personally.

ETA: From what I've gathered people are "raving about" is the story - which is very good; I can see why developers think it would work as a movie. But the gameplay was average IMO.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. The missions, themselves, were average. That is, the sneak/survive/craft/puzzle solving/AI/Mechanics. It just didn't live up to the hype for me personally.

You're welcome to your opinion on the missions, but they're just one element of the game. The story, the characters, the environments, the diversity, the pacing, the music, the suspense, the humour.... In my opinion they all add up to complete a package that far exceeds the sum of its parts.

It's more than a game. It's an experience. That's what people are raving about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ETA: From what I've gathered people are "raving about" is the story - which is very good; I can see why developers think it would work as a movie. But the gameplay was average IMO.

What game isn't if you strip away everything and boil it down to its most basic components.

For me The Last of Us offered a good story with some great characters, it manage to tell that story really well for a video game, probably the best I have seen so far. It also created a really nice world which that story was set in, varied environments and great atmosphere throughout the game and lots of little nuances which added to the overall package.

As I said in your thread about 'sparing your feelings' if this isn't what you are looking for then I can see why you are underwhelmed with the game, but if you enjoy a story driven experience this is one of the best crafted story driven games I have played because of all the details that have gone into creating the characters and setting. If you are oblivious to the settings around you then you wont get as fully immersed in the world and story like I did and looking at this game purely from a gameplay mechanics point of view its could be an average experience.

Is it fair to claim it doesn't live up to the hype when you are ignoring half the game
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the brain of a sieve, not mention I don't even notice when somebody has dyed their hair let alone distinguish between different interior designs :o When it comes to the interior design within the game they all looked the same; just seemed like abandoned houses. The only thing that distinguished them for me would be, for instance,
    spores
    or the mission objective themselves which is why when gilly said
    "hotel"
    it meant nothing. The only one that looked different to me was the
    restaurant boss mission
    with
    David.

I'm really sorry but I don't get it, surely there is a difference between exploring streets and houses and being in a hotel and exploring corridors. And that's ignoring the surrounding areas and talking purely about interiors.

Why do you say missions? There are no missions in this game, it's a journey they have to survive. Sorry if it seems like I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't think of this game as having objectives other than survive and keep moving.

I think the gameplay mechanics are solid, and made more enjoyable by the tension created. If you want to strip it all down and say it's average that's ok. It's your opinion, but I think it's better to view the package as a whole. But that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine Naa_KwaKai as seeing the game like this whilst we all see it looking like this :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What game isn't if you strip away everything and boil it down to its most basic components.

For me The Last of Us offered a good story with some great characters, it manage to tell that story really well for a video game, probably the best I have seen so far. It also created a really nice world which that story was set in, varied environments and great atmosphere throughout the game and lots of little nuances which added to the overall package.

As I said in your thread about 'sparing your feelings' if this isn't what you are looking for then I can see why you are underwhelmed with the game, but if you enjoy a story driven experience this is one of the best crafted story driven games I have played because of all the details that have gone into creating the characters and setting. If you are oblivious to the settings around you then you wont get as fully immersed in the world and story like I did and looking at this game purely from a gameplay mechanics point of view its could be an average experience.

Is it fair to claim it doesn't live up to the hype when you are ignoring half the game

I'm not "ignoring half the game". Surely you must be aware that different players look for different things in a game? For me it's the gameplay first i.e. the missions and if that isn't up to scratch then everything else is just window dressing. If the story is good that's the icing on the cake but the icing isn't enough, I want the cake. I go to films for story driven art.

The environment/interior design informs much of the mechanics/gameplay and vice versa - they're not separate so it's impossible to "ignore" or "strip down to its basic components". This is why I the interior design probably felt samey to me - each mission felt the same. If we take, for instance, Arkham City: every mission is so unique and different I can remember each interior and exterior design surrounding and accompanying it; I was fully immersed. Because The Last of Us felt quite samey mission wise the interior design felt the same way. Yes, there is attention to detail such as in the way Ellie reacts to certain things even when not in mission mode but to me those are just icings.

Furthermore, I believe Assassin Creed has a much more compelling story but again, we're having a debate over my personal preference which is pointless. I just felt the game was ok, not terrible, not great. If you love it, hotbird, then that's great. The Last of Us just didn't have what I personally look for in a game and that's why I don't believe it's great, not because I'm "ignoring" it. I acknowledge it, I just didn't care for it because what matters to me in a game, above all, is the mission gameplay.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully going to finish Watch Dogs sometime this week, and then jump into The Last of Us over the weekend. Missed it on PS3, so it'll be first time. Tried to stay relatively spoiler free!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The things that bother me are

1) Somehow you survive for 20 years but you can NEVER find enough ammo when you need it.

2) I kill 4 guards that have been letting of hand guns at me for the last 10 minutes yet their corpses leave no ammo or guns. And dont use the excuse that they fired their last bullet when I killed them.

3) The simple task of switching weapons. Why make such a simple task harder? To increase the game difficulty?

4) I haven't seen any variation in the gameplay so far - still ducking behind objects with no bullets, moving the bins or ladders to get to hard to reach places etc every scene.

5) The start of the game seemed different to other games, cut scenes and actors have been great. But story isn't special - we've been here before many times in other games, books and films.

Sorry but I'm just not seeing this 10 / 10 game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it is probably the best balanced story driven game but IMHO story is at the forefront of this game. When I say gameplay 'takes a back seat' I don't mean it was bad just that the story was the key aspect of the game. TLOU does nothing special with its gameplay but the story telling is outstanding for a game.

The gameplay on TLOU is a fairly decent stealth based shooter with resource management which you only really experience fully if your playing on the hardest setting. The Ai has some really great moments were they can flank you and work together but just like pretty almost every other game you can easily fool the AI and just funnel them into an area for easy take down. While it all works well enough to drive the game its never the stand out feature and I doubt anyone who plays TLOU will go away talking about the gameplay in the game.

From this quote I think you're disappointed that I didn't walk away saying that the story is the best thing ever and absolutely blows the gameplay out of the water. Hate to break it to you but gaming is a personal experience and different aspects of a game mean different things to each individual player.
    I imagine Naa_KwaKai as seeing the game like this whilst we all see it looking like this :p:D

It's sad that you can't handle other people's personal preference and then proceed to berate them for it. I'm not going to debate my personal taste/personal preference with you. This "Hate Out of Ten" attitude is the sort of thing that ruins the dialogue between gamers. To me, the emperor is naked when it comes to The Last of Us. Feel free to hate me for not feeling this game all you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Hopefully going to finish Watch Dogs sometime this week, and then jump into The Last of Us over the weekend. Missed it on PS3, so it'll be first time. Tried to stay relatively spoiler free!

Nice edit but I caught you. :D
    I'm a "wind-up merchant" yet you haven't even played the game? Um, ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice edit but I caught you. :D
    I'm a "wind-up merchant" yet you haven't even played the game? Um, ok.

Yeah, decided I didn't want to get into another discussion with you :(!
  • Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly what I am doing, although I'm only in early stages of Watch Dogs. I'm almost glad Minecraft is delayed.

No chance of a summer games drought for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, decided I didn't want to get into another discussion with you :(!

Or maybe it's because you haven't even played the game yet and therefore realised you're, perhaps, not in the best position to accuse people of being "wind-up merchants" when they don't give it a perfect score? Or maybe that's giving you way too much credit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe it's because you haven't even played the game yet and therefore realised you're, perhaps, not in the best position to accuse people of being "wind-up merchants" when they don't give it a perfect score? Or maybe that's giving you way too much credit.

Nah. Pretty sure it was because I didn't want to get into another discussion with you. Good try on pulling me in, though ;) But this isn't going to happen so go and troll someone else<3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not "ignoring half the game". Surely you must be aware that different players look for different things in a game? For me it's the gameplay first i.e. the missions and if that isn't up to scratch then everything else is just window dressing. If the story is good that's the icing on the cake but the icing isn't enough, I want the cake. I go to films for story driven art.

The environment/interior design informs much of the mechanics/gameplay and vice versa - they're not separate so it's impossible to "ignore" or "strip down to its basic components". This is why I the interior design probably felt samey to me - each mission felt the same. If we take, for instance, Arkham City: every mission is so unique and different I can remember each interior and exterior design surrounding and accompanying it; I was fully immersed. Because The Last of Us felt quite samey mission wise the interior design felt the same way. Yes, there is attention to detail such as in the way Ellie reacts to certain things even when not in mission mode but to me those are just icings.

Furthermore, I believe Assassin Creed has a much more compelling story but again, we're having a debate over my personal preference which is pointless. I just felt the game was ok, not terrible, not great. If you love it, hotbird, then that's great. The Last of Us just didn't have what I personally look for in a game and that's why I don't believe it's great, not because I'm "ignoring" it. I acknowledge it, I just didn't care for it because what matters to me in a game, above all, is the mission gameplay.

I am not attacking your view but rather trying to discuss it but you seem to take everything so personally. I like a story driven experience and for me The Last of Us is one of the best I have played for the reason I have already stated.

I found Arkham City boring and repetitive and never really managed to get into that game in the same way I did Arkham Asylum, it felt like a rushed cash in title to me.

As for Assassins Creed isn't that just about running around on rooftops, climbing some towers to look around and then following some basic point a to point b then kill someone missions. Its all pretty basic stuff when you break it down.
    From this quote I think you're disappointed that I didn't walk away saying that the story is the best thing ever and absolutely blows the gameplay out of the water. Hate to break it to you but gaming is a personal experience and different aspects of a game mean different things to each individual player.

No what I am saying is that the story is the stand out feature of the game and the gameplay is average if you strip that away from it. If you don't want the story driven experience then the Last of Us wont live up to the hype for you. I personally don't care that you don't like the game
    It's sad that you can't handle other people's personal preference and then proceed to berate them for it. I'm not going to debate my personal taste/personal preference with you. This "Hate Out of Ten" attitude is the sort of thing that ruins the dialogue between gamers. To me, the emperor is naked when it comes to The Last of Us. Feel free to hate me for not feeling this game all you want.

What's sad is you cant take a joke.