Options

Resident Evil : Retribution

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
Got round to watching this, as a huge fan on the games and the previous films i thought i'd give me verdict on the film.

Overall as the latest film in the franchise it definatly feels like it's coming to an end, running out of good storylines that get the fans interested, in terms of character development Retribution is the best of the franchise for it, so many old and new faces from the franchise in this movie, however their seems to be too many people in this film, its almost like they've just shoved as many characters you can think of from the franchise in one serving and although that sounds good, its far too much, the one thing this film has done correctly is bringing in the in game character of Ada Wong, it's almost like they've literally pulled her from the game, and she's now become my favourite character, theirs some good 3D action sequences on par with Afterlife, rumour has it the next film will be the last in the franchise however i believe they should just scrap it and focus on maybe a reboot thats actually based on the games, i shall put in spoilers a few things if anyones interested to know what happens, other than that i'd give this film 5/10
Wesker, seems to have survived the events of Afterlife, and is now working as a good guyand no longer for umbrella in order to rescue whats left of humanity
Umbrella is now under controll of the Red Queen (the computer AI from the first movie, and this time round shes a nasty bitch
jill is a proper badass under umbrellas controll, but the bad "Rain", takes the crown for this films villain

and finally one thing i was dissapointed about,
their didn't seem, as far as i can recall any mention of chris or claire redfield from afterlife, hopefully they'll be back for the last installment

Comments

• Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    I love all the Resident Evil films.
    Afterlife was fantastic , so I just hope Retribution is as good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    It didn't even know this was out until yesterday. Have they done any promo for this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very little promotion for this. i completely forgot about it until a few reviews started popping up
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Sammami wrote: »
    It didn't even know this was out until yesterday. Have they done any promo for this?
    It's released on the 28th September....saw a trailer yesterday.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this, zombies, action and of course the very sexy Oded Fehr!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I hate the Resi Evil films

REC is how you do a zombie movie :D
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A visit to RedLetterMedia offers an enlightening insight as to the relative merit of the Quintet......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I managed to catch this film the other day. I've watched all of the previous films, mainly stemming from being a fan of the game, but I felt like they were getting kinda convoluted lately and sagging somewhat. However, I found this installment to be a little breath of fresh air into the series. It was more "believable", so to speak, and I think it echoed the first film a lot, which I personally see as a very positive thing. The film has a nice flow to it and I enjoyed the quirks in the middle with the clones et al.

Basically, if you liked ANY of the previous RE movies, go see this one. I'd probably rank it 2nd best. Maybe 1st, maybe 3rd. Not sure. It's up there though. Go. Just go! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Seen it last night. Really awesome movie to watch. I enjoyed it so much. Its really nice horror flick with great sci fi. I have also seen other movies of this series. but in all this movie inspired me a lot.
  • Options
    Hyper_IntakeHyper_Intake Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last week. Best RE film since the first IMO. Although I wasn't a fan of what they did with Jill's character.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow this film is incredibly bad, just an absolute piece of garbage. i've seen the other 4 and i don't remember them being this awful.

the acting is atrocious, i mean seriously bad. haha ada wong and jill valentine... people were laughing in the cinema.

the action as well is appalling. i'm sorry but slo-mo is what directors who can't direct use when it comes to action scenes. you never see spielberg, nolan, cameron use it... just hacks like paul ws anderson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty bad,i enjoyed the previous movies but this one was just re-treading old ground again,it felt like they were just throwing all these classic res characters at us just to kill them 10mins later,im glad the next one will b the last,im surprised its got this far lol
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This wa my ave film since the second. I loved it. The special effects and fight scenes were also the best. The plot of course was weak but I guess they needed this story tied up before they could do the final film.

And roll on the final film :D
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    All the resident evil films are - objectively - diabolical.

I still have a massive soft spot for them though. They are stupid, but good fun.

Apart from the third one. That was just shit.
  • Options
    jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    I got an email from the friendly people at Odeon earlier giving me 30% off a ticket, so may use it to see this film at the Imax for under a tenner. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know. The opening for this might be my favourite of any movie ever. It took me a minute or so to realise it was all backwards. Pure genius.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I thought the film was as good as it can be. The whole idea is very silly and they are so far from what the games are like now I don't think anyone actually classes them as Resident Evil movies anymore.

Seeing zombies sprinting like normal people really doesn't work for me I do have to say.
  • Options
    Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know. The opening for this might be my favourite of any movie ever. It took me a minute or so to realise it was all backwards. Pure genius.

It opens with Alice flying out of the water and back onto the ship. How on earth could you think that was running forwards?

But yes the music from the movie is once again brilliant. I just LOVE this theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcR1S-NOzLQ
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    i'm sorry but slo-mo is what directors who can't direct use when it comes to action scenes. you never see spielberg, nolan, cameron use it... just hacks like paul ws anderson.
    These days that might have some truth in it, but it was Sam Peckinpah who popularized slo-mo action, and he was rather good indeed.
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it started slowly (not including opening scenes) it did get a lot better though. I was a bit sad that Claire wasn't in it but Ali Larter wants to spend all her time with her young child last I heard so I am glad they didn't recast the part.

I agree with the comments about there being too many people involved with big characters, I also didn't like the ending as it was very predictable.

I really liked most the movie though, the fight scenes were excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to seeing the movie.... but also enjoy the animated features. including
    2008 Resident Evil Degeneration
    2012 Resident Evil Damnation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It opens with Alice flying out of the water and back onto the ship. How on earth could you think that was running forwards?

But yes the music from the movie is once again brilliant. I just LOVE this theme - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcR1S-NOzLQ

I know I'm just really stupid!! it :o

I just noticed too the opening is on Youtube for those who haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjfhafMbIGE
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back from seeing this at my local IMAX & loved every moment of it, cannot wait for the next one. As an added bonus I had a money off voucher, so only cost me just over £7, which is a bargain for the IMAX experience. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I havent watched the new 1 but I thibk the 3rd is utterly the worst and pointless 1, the last film was pretty decent but its stupid how the 3rd installment was like all desert and sand it was stupid to make the suquels look more like it only just hit the outbreak. If the 3rd film the films would actually be decent, the only thing that looks silly about the newest 1 is bringing back people from the previous films and adding leon so late
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this film today, in IMAX. It was good picture quality. Loved the action sequences. But the plot holes are bigger than stupidity. How did the movie series get so ridiculous? I understand that it's "based" on the games, but surely it shouldn't be so far-fetched.