Jimmy Savile

old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Interesting that given the widespread publicity there is nothing on here.

Which surprises me because this forum seems stuck in the past with discussions about radio decades ago.

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old pilot wrote: »
    Interesting that given the widespread publicity there is nothing on here.

Which surprises me because this forum seems stuck in the past with discussions about radio decades ago.

There's a long thread about it in the Showbiz forum.
  • old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    There's a long thread about it in the Showbiz forum.

Maybe so but I'm more interested in his radio work. He seemed to be a strange character that never had a conversation with anyone. Tony Blackburn revealed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00792h4) that whenever he attempted a conversation Savile went in to his usual mannerisms and disappeared.

I first heard him on Teen and Twenty Disc Club but when he did Saviles Travels and Speakeasy in the 60's/70's there was never any direct conversation with anyone.

In fact I can't remember him ever having any sort of normal
    interaction. It was just a sort of parroting he employed throughout his radio career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And at least two threads in the Broadcasting forum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ink171 wrote: »
    And at least two threads in the Broadcasting forum

Maybe I'm wasting my time here in the Radio forum:rolleyes:
  • human zoohuman zoo Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Maybe so but I'm more interested in his radio work. He seemed to be a strange character that never had a conversation with anyone. Tony Blackburn revealed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00792h4) that whenever he attempted a conversation Savile went in to his usual mannerisms and disappeared.

I first heard him on Teen and Twenty Disc Club but when he did Saviles Travels and Speakeasy in the 60's/70's there was never any direct conversation with anyone.

interaction. It was just a sort of parroting he employed throughout his radio career.

I enjoyed his unique radio style. There are some clips at Radio Rewind http://www.radiorewind.co.uk/radio1/jimmy_savile_page.htm
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm wasting my time here in the Radio forum:rolleyes:

Oh heck Old Pilot, did you have to start another Jimmy thread here too. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet he didn't speak to Mrs Thatcher like this, when he stayed for tea at Chequers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I bet he didn't speak to Mrs Thatcher like this, when he stayed for tea at Chequers.

I'm not interested in what he did or did not do in terms of his private life.

However he was one of those presenters like Alan Freeman that talked at you rather than to you.

Rosko was a similar deejay.

In contrast I've been listening to Jo Willey this pm sitting in for Steve Wright. Lovely voice and she sounds nice but the music/production was a bit too laid back.

However we now have some great female deejays unlike the days of Radio One when we just had Ann Nightingale.
  • logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are threads about this elsewhere but seem to consist of members who have wound each other up in the past continuing to do the same again. They are unreadable by anyone else!

I have severe doubts about the claims that Jimmy Savile was so revered by everyone that no one dared say anything about these things at the time. There were plenty of people who didn't like Savile, and who have gladly seen him fall from grace. It had been noted many times that he was overfamiliar and rough with teenage girls in front of the camera. It doesn't surprise me that there were people who thought that he must be doing something immoral in the dressing rooms too. Jimmy Savile didn't fit one pigeon-hole, so he must be in another. IF there were any truth in these allegations, it needed to have come out at the time As it is, it will never be proved, and his name will never be cleared either. Either way it is a real shame.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm dubious about the radio producer's motives for his allegations about Jimmy on ITV News this evening. Savile probably pissed off as many people in the industry as much as others admired his work.

Not doubting that he had a sense of intimidation about him, yet you'll find people ready to turn the key when everyone else starts attacking you.

Savile had the art of turning things around to his advantage though and would have spun his way out of these allegations given his skills that the Beeb and others used his services for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Why has it taken this long for the information to come to light.
    Why has these girls not said anything sooner.
    Why wait till he`s dead to report these acts.
    Why is this program on ITV wednesday made by an X policeman.

Too many "Why`s" for my liking. Somethings not right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveblue wrote: »

....and WHY?...has Esther Rantzen only now decided to come out with her own musings on the matter that she claims to have been aware of for many years? WHY?

This whole thing has a smell of something very un-pleasant, and that whiff does not come from the accused in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveblue wrote: »

Answer: It's been in the public domain since the 1990's.

I suspect they feared libel action or their cases being thrown out of court due to insufficient evidence. That's what happened to the girl who brought charges against Glitter.

Because Savile can not sue.

I am not sure that matters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    ....and WHY?...has Esther Rantzen only now decided to come out with her own musings on the matter that she claims to have been aware of for many years? WHY?

This whole thing has a smell of something very un-pleasant, and that whiff does not come from the accused in my opinion.

Again because Savile can not sue. Besides Rantzen didn't know the extent of the allegations until she heard about the documentary.
  • Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

JS wasnt easy to get to know. I worked with him for maybe a year when Savile's Travels and Speakeasy were on Radio 1
    but he also visited the 208 studios many times in Hertford Street when I worked there. He was always a bit distant, never comfortable with one-to-one conversations, he preferred to be in a group. When we had one of the anniversary parties for the English Service at the old Audio International studios Jimmy was there for a short interview and the pictures....then he was gone.
    Regarding what the BBC did or didnt know - more to come out on this I think.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    I can't recall who said it, but at Derek Chinnery's retirement do they said he came in, shook everyone's hand and said "Good evening young man" to each of them and then disappeared.

Eccentric for sure, but can't comment on these allegations, and wouldn't want too
  • Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was Jimmy's style...hello and goodbye.
    Have done BBC radio and TV interviews re my management time at Radio 1 in 1973, I think for tomorrow.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    I find this whole affair very sad, especially only coming to light a year after Jimmy's death and leaving it up to family & friends to stick up for him.

Just an excuse to slur his character and make a fast buck out of a TV show.

Sad that an all time broadcasting legend will now be remembered for this rather than the millions of pounds he raised for charity over the years and the enjoyment he brought to millions with his radio & TV shows.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I find this whole affair very sad, especially only coming to light a year after Jimmy's death and leaving it up to family & friends to stick up for him.

Just an excuse to slur his character and make a fast buck out of a TV show.

Sad that an all time broadcasting legend will now be remembered for this rather than the millions of pounds he raised for charity over the years and the enjoyment he brought to millions with his radio & TV shows.
    Exept that if you did your research you would know that it hasn't only just come to light since his death. It is also this sort of thinking about him being a broadcasting legend and doing things for charity that stopped victims from reporting him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was Jimmy's style...hello and goodbye.
    Have done BBC radio and TV interviews re my management time at Radio 1 in 1973, I think for tomorrow.
    Interesting quote from Paul Gambaccini in today's papers which underlines that 'style' Rodney.
    'You just didn’t mess with Jim. He was the governor, because after all he had been the first great club DJ, he had been the originator of Top Of The Pops and you just let him have his turf.
    'And none of us were interested in going there. At social occasions we would all be together, but Jim would not be. He had his own life.'
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Not entirely sure that the TV show could be described as a "fast buck". If I were an advertiser I might consider cancelling my booking, and disassociate myself with the programme.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never a fan I think he once said some people don't buy my act, But some do those that don't that's up to them quite right & on the other subject whats that old saying? There's no smoke without fire.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not entirely sure that the TV show could be described as a "fast buck". If I were an advertiser I might consider cancelling my booking, and disassociate myself with the programme.
    Why?...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    ITV is most probably rubbing their hands. No advertiser will pull out knowing how many will watch the program.

This is exactly what ITV wants. The ratings will go through the roof and all because of a very cheap program.

This is trial by television and the person involved is not here to defend himself.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,872
    Forum Member
    Interesting quote from Paul Gambaccini in today's papers which underlines that 'style' Rodney.

Gambaccini always pops up with supposedly authoritative quotes about people he hardly knew personally when they have died or allegations are being made about them.