Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I am away from home visiting my mother in law who has cancer (3months to live) so I can't watch the episode so would be grateful is someone can explain the significance if the title. I guess the main reference is to the hotel room fiasco but are there other links as well?

So sorry cc. Make sure to pop in here when you need a break.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think we'll see brand-new bright-gold rings --- like the one for Louisa that Martin was holding in S3E7. I don't see MC using his own wedding ring as a prop, somehow.

I don't think so. I suspect that we won't see the rings exchanged and after the wedding, MC's ring will be back on the normal hand. Will probably be a relief for him not to need to remember to switch it every day. I wonder if CC will wear her own wedding rings - or will she have the ring that was dropped into her dinner?

We should keep track and see who guesses correctly - kind of like Bert setting odds on the baby's name :D
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I don't think so. I suspect that we won't see the rings exchanged and after the wedding, MC's ring will be back on the normal hand. Will probably be a relief for him not to need to remember to switch it every day. I wonder if CC will wear her own wedding rings - or will she have the ring that was dropped into her dinner?

We should keep track and see who guesses correctly - kind of like Bert setting odds on the baby's name :D

I'll go along to this extent -- if they don't exchange new rings, then we won't see Louisa putting Martin Clunes' own wedding ring on his left hand, in other words, we won't see a ring transfer.

Or maybe he'll be one of those men who never wears a wedding ring? My own father did not -- I suspect he thought they were effeminate, as he certainly was not a womanizer. But then, he married my mother in 1937, so things might have been different then.

Yep, I think we should be keeping track of these predictions -- but make them now before filming is out in the open (then we can make guesses as to the significance of what we're seeing, which often is not very obvious).
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [
    I am away from home visiting my mother in law who has cancer (3months to live) so I can't watch the episode so would be grateful is someone can explain the significance if the title. [/QUOTE]

My sincere sympathy on this difficult time of your life, cc.cookie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(

I am so sorry, cc. Hugs and prayers for you, your mum and your family.
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    So sorry cc. Make sure to pop in here when you need a break.
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    [
    I am away from home visiting my mother in law who has cancer (3months to live) so I can't watch the episode so would be grateful is someone can explain the significance if the title.

My sincere sympathy on this difficult time of your life, cc.cookie.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.
    My mother-in-law is 88 and a bit confused by it all so it is easy to keep her happy at the moment but she's chosen to remain at home (with district nurses visiting at a later stage) and someone has to be with her always.
    She's such a sweet lady (NOT like Elinore!) that it is a pleasure to help look after her but it takes a lot of juggling as we live 11hrs drive away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see DM wearing a ring but I hesitate to believe that MC would use a wedding ring that has significance as a prop.
    So I don't think he'd use his own ring during a TV ceremony but it would be such a hassle to later still wear his own ring on his right hand and a fake ring on his left.
    So I think after a ceremony he'd swap his own ring to his left hand and just keep it there.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see DM wearing a ring but I hesitate to believe that MC would use a wedding ring that has significance as a prop.
    So I don't think he'd use his own ring during a TV ceremony but it would be such a hassle to later still wear his own ring on his right hand and a fake ring on his left.
    So I think after a ceremony he'd swap his own ring to his left hand and just keep it there.

cc.cookie, Glad to hear you have such a good attitude during a difficult time. Warm fuzzies all around for you and yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, Shop Girl and NewPark, you've piqued my interest so I've started a list to keep track of predictions. So far just on two items: the wedding ring and best man predictions. We'll see if any others pop up to add to the list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sincere sympathy on this difficult time of your life, cc.cookie.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.
    My mother-in-law is 88 and a bit confused by it all so it is easy to keep her happy at the moment but she's chosen to remain at home (with district nurses visiting at a later stage) and someone has to be with her always.
    She's such a sweet lady (NOT like Elinore!) that it is a pleasure to help look after her but it takes a lot of juggling as we live 11hrs drive away.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts and prayers are with you all

Chin up X
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, Shop Girl and NewPark, you've piqued my interest so I've started a list to keep track of predictions. So far just on two items: the wedding ring and best man predictions. We'll see if any others pop up to add to the list.

Susie, I think if DM is going to take a second chance seriously he will want to differentiate it from the first time so he may choose a bestman. I think he'd choose Chris Parsons if he chose one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member

They will exchange prop rings not their own

Martin's Best Man/Woman Aunt Ruth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I vote for your prediction, Cookie!
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I agree Lemster. It also sounded like he was eating or drinking something.

But he did say that they would be attempting a more "functional" relationship, having gained some tolerance for each other in S5 (exactly how, I wonder?)

I have heard this interview. It is part of a fairly long one. Later in the interview he talks a lot about why he likes to use film rather than videotape. A filmmaker comes on the show and he and Martin talk a lot about it.

I remember now that I had to pay a fee to hear this interview - like join a service or something. I think it was done quite a long time ago - at least a year or so. But I don't remember exactly when.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I have heard this interview. It is part of a fairly long one. Later in the interview he talks a lot about why he likes to use film rather than videotape. A filmmaker comes on the show and he and Martin talk a lot about it.

I remember now that I had to pay a fee to hear this interview - like join a service or something. I think it was done quite a long time ago - at least a year or so. But I don't remember exactly when.

Yes, it must have been done a while ago, because he said that they sat down to plot out the story lines "about a month ago."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZXKexj3Q0M

Someone posted this rather long video on YouTube,titled "Doc Martin and Asperger's" -- it's quite interesting to watch as it recapitulates in video all the discussions we've had on this topic, and also reaches no firm conclusion. But nicely done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this is a prediction, but I would like to see the opening shot of series 6 go something like this: pan up to the Doc and Louisa asleep in bed, cuddled up--yes, actually touching--on the morning of their wedding, with Louisa wearing the infamous blue pajama top as a nightie. Think there's a possibility I'm right? :rolleyes::p
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    I hadn't heard this before. MC seemed dismissive of the characters, which was a disappointment. Sound to me as if he has already moved. on.

I think they are trying to dig themselves out of a hole. MC has stated that he doesn't want a 'soap opera' and that is exactly what the majority of fans are clamoring for-all one has to do is read some of the comments here to see that, I can only imagine some of the stuff in the letters they get. If they can't figure out a way to do this to their satisfaction and keep fans happy at the same time then they will probably do what they did with 'William and Mary' and just end it and leave it to your imagination as to what happens afterwards.

Of course it also all depends on how much they like the money generated by the show and weigh it against other factors (how happy they are with the direction the show is taking, how much money they need to become comforatble with the farm, being typecast and losing job offers, etc.) Money talks and it will depend on how loud it does if it shouts down all those other factors to keep MC in a role that is going in a direction he doesn't like and is no longer happy playing. They really do need two more seasons to make the show a good candidate for syndication.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

I agree with your prediction.

As to the best man I still stick with Chris with Al as a possible runner up. Aunt Ruth has always been against him 'staying with Louisa for the sake of the child' and his staying in PW when he could be doing 'serious medicine' in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are trying to dig themselves out of a hole. MC has stated that he doesn't want a 'soap opera' and that is exactly what the majority of fans are clamoring for-all one has to do is read some of the comments here to see that, I can only imagine some of the stuff in the letters they get. If they can't figure out a way to do this to their satisfaction and keep fans happy at the same time then they will probably do what they did with 'William and Mary' and just end it and leave it to your imagination as to what happens afterwards.

Of course it also all depends on how much they like the money generated by the show and weigh it against other factors (how happy they are with the direction the show is taking, how much money they need to become comforatble with the farm, being typecast and losing job offers, etc.) Money talks and it will depend on how loud it does if it shouts down all those other factors to keep MC in a role that is going in a direction he doesn't like and is no longer happy playing. They really do need two more seasons to make the show a good candidate for syndication.

They may not have intended "Martisa" to become sort of the black hole into which the rest of the series disappears, and I think they are somewhat disconcerted if not dismayed about the way things have developed. And I do agree -- MC at least is getting tired of it and ready to move on. The continued misfiring of communications, misunderstandings, cliff-hangers, disappearances and reappearances do have a lot in common with soap operas, I agree. Mrs. Tishell did parody the fans' frustration so well.

But, OTOH, I wonder if the series would have lasted much longer, or been as successful without that particular story arc. Just don't know how many quirky characters, odd medical conditions, etc., etc., would be needed to have filled the gap in the story line, and how long they would have held interest.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion, so what if it is a soap opera of sorts. It's an intelligent one where I have learned about different illnesses and treatments along the way, most within the confines of his diagnostic skills, black medical bag, and what he has in supplies at the surgery. MC and PB have set this series up so that the storyline works in many countries throughout the world, whether using their own actors or dubbing in the language of the country. They are savy enough to get a cut of the monetary returns. This is not a W&M series where you could predict that ending was coming far enough in advance. I can't predict how DM S6 will go forth--there are many possibilities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    In my opinion, so what if it is a soap opera of sorts. It's an intelligent one where I have learned about different illnesses and treatments along the way, most within the confines of his diagnostic skills, black medical bag, and what he has in supplies at the surgery. MC and PB have set this series up so that the storyline works in many countries throughout the world, whether using their own actors or dubbing in the language of the country. They are savy enough to get a cut of the monetary returns. This is not a W&M series where you could predict that ending was coming far enough in advance. I can't predict how DM S6 will go forth--there are many possibilities.

I agree, marchrand. While it has many soap opera characteristics (many years ago when I was home with an infant, I got hooked on one or two:o:) ) it is intelligent, clever, well-produced, and not trite or predictable. Lots of things we like are possibly high-class soap operas, but again, so what? It's just a label. But that's not to overlook that MC himself may be discontented with the direction it's taken, or just bored and "time for something new." If so, well and good. He and his writers and production company have given us a lot of pleasure over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is a prediction, but I would like to see the opening shot of series 6 go something like this: pan up to the Doc and Louisa asleep in bed, cuddled up--yes, actually touching--on the morning of their wedding, with Louisa wearing the infamous blue pajama top as a nightie. Think there's a possibility I'm right? :rolleyes::p

OK, I've recorded all the answers that have been posted so far for Prediction subject #1: Doc's wedding ring and Prediction subject #2: Doc's best man. Anyone else, feel free to weigh in.

I'll do the same for S6 opening shot predictions (thanks, largenincharge!) for another one. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll do the same for S6 opening shot predictions (thanks, largenincharge!) for another one. :)

OK - how about the entire Series 5 was just a dream...?

Opening shot would be The Doc, Louisa and Newborn BabyJH waking up in bed together at Louisa's cottage after him driving them home for the hospital...DM rubbing his eyes; unable to believe his luck; having just had the Series 5 nightmare overnight

Then, maybe, MC will know just what they have put us all through...and how it is still haunting us some eighteen months later...
This discussion has been closed.