Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    We may not like Elaine but I think we have to concede that Dominic Minghella brilliantly drew her from life. She exists as a type down here -- I have just encountered her double at the laundrette!
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Mazzieblue, did you notice whether LG was wearing a wedding ring or not..

Also, did Bert lose a lot of weight?
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This episode begins our seeing codependent Louisa. We had a glimpse of it with her father, and she overcame it with Danny.

Her mother is a master manipulator. At first Louisa is able to talk a talk about sending Eleanor away. Then after a few hours around her mom, she is back into her codependency. I remember when this aired, people could not understand why she didn't send her mother away. It was so obvious that she was bad for the baby. But Louisa was in her mother's snares by then. Like a typical codependent, she kept going back to the one is not there emotionally for her. As though "this time" the other person will be there for her.

She is also codependent with Martin. She keeps thinking he is going to change without her telling him what she needs. He is supposed to intuitively know what she wants. We all know that is impossible in a relationship, but a codependent can't get there so easily. They have been damaged in a primary relationship where the other person broke promises to them. As a child, she couldn't depend on her mother to be there for her. Eleanor was blaming Louisa for Eleanor's behavior. As a child Louisa was unbalanced by uncertainty - whether the her mother or father will come through for her. The rest of us would know that person wasn't going to show up for us, and have no hope or expectation that they will.

When you're on your own like that as a child, you don't learn many social skills. I am sure there are plenty of middle class and working class people in England who have good table manners. That is not a class issue, and is sort of insulting to call it that. I'm not British, but I'm sure the upper classes don't have the market on table manners. Anyway, I wish a British person on the forum would address this class issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I found this picture on the web site of Abbi Collins who does stunt work. She state she was CC's double in this scene although the picture looks like CC. Interesting to see the rigging.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a03d73897116ca66729c7d96c9455ee8/tumblr_mlua6y0f1W1rkn2hwo1_500.jpg

AND (drum roll) here is the cliff and more:

http://footprintscenery.co.uk/portfolio/doc-martin-earthquake

http://footprintscenery.co.uk/doc-martin

And the webpage of Abbi Collins:

http://www.abbicollins.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We may not like Elaine but I think we have to concede that Dominic Minghella brilliantly drew her from life. She exists as a type down here -- I have just encountered her double at the laundrette!

Odd to see a "double" both in form and nature... But neat.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Oh - meant to add that I met the actor playing the manny last night. I believe his name is Felix Scott (I didn't catch his name, but I think I recognize him from Missing).

In case you don't want more spoilers:
    Here is a link to a play in which Felix Scott starred with a video http://www.brad.ac.uk/theatre/About-us/Press-centre/Maddening-Rain/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I am not an experienced user of Photobucket, but I wanted to share some photos with you all. If you follow this link it should take you to a slideshow. You will probably need to enter the password "Portwenn".

http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/poorrichard54/slideshow/Doc%20Martin%20photostream

Lovely pics thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Here is a link to a play in which Felix Scott starred with a video http://www.brad.ac.uk/theatre/About-us/Press-centre/Maddening-Rain/

Wow, easy on the eyes isn't he
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »

Great stuff! Love it.
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    AND (drum roll) here is the cliff and more:

Great - If it is on the web this group will find it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    She is also codependent with Martin. She keeps thinking he is going to change without her telling him what she needs. He is supposed to intuitively know what she wants. We all know that is impossible in a relationship, but a codependent can't get there so easily. They have been damaged in a primary relationship where the other person broke promises to them. As a child, she couldn't depend on her mother to be there for her. Eleanor was blaming Louisa for Eleanor's behavior. As a child Louisa was unbalanced by uncertainty - whether the her mother or father will come through for her. The rest of us would know that person wasn't going to show up for us, and have no hope or expectation that they will.

When you're on your own like that as a child, you don't learn many social skills. I am sure there are plenty of middle class and working class people in England who have good table manners. That is not a class issue, and is sort of insulting to call it that. I'm not British, but I'm sure the upper classes don't have the market on table manners. Anyway, I wish a British person on the forum would address this class issue.

Interesting post. It made me think that both DM and LG are overachievers due to their upbringing.
    DM intelectually and career-wise, LG socially.
    I guess it shows where both of them fell short with their parents. DM was belittled and was always given the impression he had to live up to his ancestors career-wise.
    Louisa had to be responsible for her father from an early age and had to care too soon while no one cared for her. Besides, she might have needed mechanisms to ensure the village support for her and also her Dad.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Sorry about that:o. As soon as you sit down with a pen to note everything you think is worth mentioning, you just realise how dense these episodes are. I can't even promise that I won't do it again.

No worries, you're hanging with a crowd who absolutely understands!!:)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    5) When Louisa went out to school and asks DM how she looks, he has no clue what she wants. I guess for the only time she doesn’t storm off feeling rejected, but tells him what she wants to hear and he delivers, earning him a peck on the cheek. At that point I had hopes they might work out to get along together. They were on the right track.

28) The end of this episode is probably the worst, even more so than the end of episode 6 when LG leaves. Eleanor is a downright bitch. Before LG even opens her mouth, Eleanor’s insinuation that LG comes to apologize puts doubts in LG’s mind. Then Eleanor turns all the facts around to make LG feel guilty and in the end even succeeds in making LG doing something she would feel guilty about. “Don’t tell Martin.”
    That’s just not the point. Her mother has full control over her now.

A lot of really great stuff BodminDM - especially the stuff about Eleanor. A few months ago I said much the same thing - that I think Martin & Louisa were starting to get it together in the middle of the chaos of taking care of an infant. Then Eleanor arrived. I likened it to dropping an atomic bomb into the middle of their little burgeoning family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, the manny and the actor's face just made this new series a whole new ballgame for me!! My imagination is running wild. ;):cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    The loss of Ben Bolt is huge for the show. He's a good writer, but he is THE director that has lovingly and lingeringly shot Martin, Caroline, and Port Isaac. His camera has caressed these characters. He has talked particularly about his fascination with the look of Martin Clunes - and when he has vacated the directorial chair, the product is different (okay, here goes the artist again!) Two of his signature trademarks are the very careful lighting and the lyrical long takes (many directors in this age of the abbreviated attention span use a more "choppy" style.) But even when he's been gone for an episode or two, because he has understood and helped shape what DM is all about and the lens through which we see him, the general continuity and "feel" of the show has been retained. Who directs does make a difference and I am sorry to see him go. I think the comparison to Dominic Minghella abandoning his creation is an apt one.

Thank you, PoorRichard, for breaking the news. So I have two questions. . .1) how will his departure affect the product, and 2) exactly why did Ben Bolt leave?

To answer your second question first: Ben Bolt probably isn't directing this season of Doc Martin because he is very busy with "Downton Abbey." He may have also made a strategic professional move to leave Doc Martin for DA, which has a larger audience and will ad a much more important line to his CV. DA has won awards in the States, and that market has become very important for both ITV and BBC.

I think Ben Bolt is a major loss to the show, just as Dominic Minghella was. They had the true canon and knew how to tell the story. I think season 6, like the preceding season 5, will be satisfactory but never as good as the first few seasons with Minghella and Bolt at the helm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Do we really know that Ben Bolt is gone from DM altogether, or just not directing some of the current shooting being done? I'm not clear on that. As I've said earlier, there have been a couple other directors who did a few episodes in previous series of DM.

I'm not going to panic, I'm not going to panic, I'm not going.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What episode starts with the 'earthquake?' Was it "On the Edge?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    An older interview but MC talks a bit about how Edith affected DM.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=STvfUSPTTbk&feature=related

Well, I nearly have all the tar and feathers picked off and the bruises from the pillory are nearly gone and I am so glad that my heresy did not involve burning at the stake - so I am ready to move on. We had a lively conversation...and as someone said, disagreement does crop up from time to time on this forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member

Wow- there will likely be some "hot flashes" in Portwenn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What episode starts with the 'earthquake?' Was it "On the Edge?"

Series 2, ep 1. I realize in looking back that it set the stage for the series of LG and DM having a bit of a wedge (earthquake imagery) between them because of Danny yet looking for the Doc to rescue her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, folks, back from my trip. It appears that I have a LOT of catching up to do. I did take a quick look through the most recent posts.

About Ben Bolt, we know that he hasn't directed every single episode of DM, so I wonder, PoorRichard, if you meant he's not directing this particular episode or is he completely gone from the show? Do you know?

Also, PoorRichard, thanks for the link to the great photos. Did you notice, Shop Girl, the photos in the birthpub? Very cool. Btw, you have to enter "portwenn", all lower case, as the password, not "Portwenn".

ConnieJ, thanks so much for the links, but I can't find any new photos at facebook. Those identified with recent dates all appear to have been from S5. Facebook is so confusing these days. Did anyone have any luck following the link and seeing additional new photos? If so, please HELP me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    Wow, easy on the eyes isn't he

Great for LG! Might stir up DM enough to get him out of those pajamas! :D:D:D

Do you want to predict whether or not DM will burn the blue pajamas in s6?

I think he's too frugal to bin them but we might see a button or two undone. Well I hope so anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Hi, folks, back from my trip. It appears that I have a LOT of catching up to do. I did take a quick look through the most recent posts.

About Ben Bolt, we know that he hasn't directed every single episode of DM, so I wonder, PoorRichard, if you meant he's not directing this particular episode or is he completely gone from the show? Do you know?

Also, PoorRichard, thanks for the link to the great photos. Did you notice, Shop Girl, the photos in the birthpub? Very cool. Btw, you have to enter "portwenn", all lower case, as the password, not "Portwenn".

ConnieJ, thanks so much for the links, but I can't find any new photos at facebook. Those identified with recent dates all appear to have been from S5. Facebook is so confusing these days. Did anyone have any luck following the link and seeing additional new photos? If so, please HELP me!

Try:
    Doc Martin (martin clunes) fan
    It has the best photos and some knowledgable posters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Try:
    Doc Martin (martin clunes) fan
    It has the best photos and some knowledgable posters.

Hi, cc.cookie, thanks, but yes, that's where I went. I was looking at this link from Conniej re new photos and I thought that meant there were new ones from this week. Maybe I misunderstood.

Connie, the link takes me to a DM fans facebook page but shows pictures from 2011 filming that for some reason have recently been loaded (or commented on; not sure if that makes a photo look more recent than it is?). Are there some I'm missing?

Well, hang on, maybe the link does take me to one of the other facebook pages, not the one with the recent photos from the church and the hotel, because I don't see any recent photos at all, not even the ones we saw week before last. Must investigate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Do we really know that Ben Bolt is gone from DM altogether, or just not directing some of the current shooting being done? I'm not clear on that. As I've said earlier, there have been a couple other directors who did a few episodes in previous series of DM.

I'm not going to panic, I'm not going to panic, I'm not going.....

Susie, sorry, I just realized you already asked this question (and I did too, later). I'm wondering if he's not involved in this particular episode, as has happened before, or if he's not involved at all for this series.

PoorRichard, when you have a moment, can you clarify for us?
This discussion has been closed.