iPhone 5S & 5C launch thread Tuesday 10th September 6PM

Comments

• calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    It happens simply because apple like to blow their trumpet a lot claiming everything is a revolution. Hence now people expect it. When they churn the same phone out 3 years running with slightly updated specs then people kind of wondering whats going on....

OK - so the goalposts are already shifting from:

Apple claim to have invented something.

to

Apple claim something is a revolution.

Any advance on that?

Will we end up at something a bit closer to reality:

Apple highlight the things they believe are good about their products.

Here's what I think:

Apple is a high profile successful company...

People like to take pop shots at high profile successful companies...

The media / internet like to seize on the slightest thing it can quote, or more often misquote, to do with Apple.

Those misquotes get read so often by so many people, people start to believe them.

Or prove me wrong by listing all the things that Apple have incorrectly claimed to have invented.... I'm not saying they won't have put good marketing spin on things, but I'd be surprised if there was much of a list of things they actually claimed to have invented.

Put it this way - do either of you want to put your money where your mouth is and bet any money at all that Apple will claim to have invented fingerprint readers?

And no - its not the same phone. Unless you want to argue that the S4 is the same phone as the S3?
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Put it this way - do either of you want to put your money where your mouth is and bet any money at all that Apple will claim to have invented fingerprint readers?

I'll bet they'll claim something along the lines of it being a unique feature, or the only phone to have a fingerprint reader. :D

Unfortunately I'll be working so won't be able to watch it live for the first time in a couple of years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And for someone to get convicted of an actual physical crime, because their fingerprints are now stored somewhere.

How do you envisage that happening?

Scenario A:

Apple are in cahoots with law enforcement agencies, who are using this data covertly to identify and convict suspects.

Scenario B:

Someone is a suspect in a crime. As part of the investigation, the police get a warrant, access to fingerprint records, and get a conviction.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Well the first one, example, your accused of making a malicious text, cyber bullying etc, at the moment you could say, "it wasn't me, I was at a party and someone must of used my phone for a joke" etc etc, well now it's going to be very hard to say that, as it will be your finger print that unlocked the phone, you won't be able to claim "lots of my friends know my password"

Secondly, there's a serious crime and a fingerprint is left at the scene, no match through usual sources. So is it a long shot that the FBI "may be able" to access the Apple Servers and instantly get access to millions of new finger prints, previously not held on regular databases.

Of course the second one is "wild speculation" but the first not so.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    OK - so the goalposts are already shifting from:

What goalposts?

I never said anything. This is my first post of the matter :confused:
    Apple claim to have invented something.

to

Apple claim something is a revolution.

Again, i never claimed anything of the sort. You need to stop this nonsense.
    Any advance on that?

On what?
    Will we end up at something a bit closer to reality:

Apple highlight the things they believe are good about their products.

Here's what I think:

Apple is a high profile successful company...

People like to take pop shots at high profile successful companies...

The media / internet like to seize on the slightest thing it can quote, or more often misquote, to do with Apple.

Those misquotes get read so often by so many people, people start to believe them.

Or prove me wrong by listing all the things that Apple have incorrectly claimed to have invented.... I'm not saying they won't have put good marketing spin on things, but I'd be surprised if there was much of a list of things they actually claimed to have invented.

You don't half talk some nonsense do you? Its nothing to do with pop shots or misquotes. They claim a revolution in every single keynote they do.

I said simply that apple have claimed every single thing they make is a revolution and people expect that again and again. It's apples fault they expect this.

When they churn the same phone out 3 years in a row with minimal updates, what do you want people to think?

This 'because its apple' you need to stop. It's apple fault people are like this because of their big headedness. Same goes for some of it's users sadly....
    And no - its not the same phone. Unless you want to argue that the S4 is the same phone as the S3?

Some people have argued that it is the same with a spec update. I'm in fact sure you were one of them...

As for the 5, yes it is the same. Same design, slightly different taller screen and very minimal spec updates. Looks no different essentially than the 4/4S and i expect no different with the new phones today. They will be identical to the 5.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Nah worst secret was the Moto X which turned out to be a huge let down. I will certainly tune in for this though if I am free should be at that time.

The Moto X turned out to be a huge let down did it. According to who? I can't imagine anyone on these forums has managed to get their hands on one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say you did claim anything - I just cited two views given in the thread. So calm down.

Do they claim every product is revolutionary though? Really?

You would disagree that the media has a tendency to seize on the slightest thing to do with Apple, and blow it out of all proportion? I think that absolutely happens, and happens a lot.

I haven't argued anything about the S4. I may have said it wasn't any more of an update than the 5 was to the 4S, but that was all.

And no - the iPhone 5 is not the same design as the iPhone 4S. Unless you want to count all smallish, rectangularish, flattish designs as essentially the same design.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The Moto X turned out to be a huge let down did it. According to who? I can't imagine anyone on these forums has managed to get their hands on one.

I think he is referring to the relatively low specification for the price as well as not being available outside the USA.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are encouraged not to concern ourselves with specs when dealing with the Apple iPhone. So when the 7th generation is announced it will be exactly the same as the 6th generation apart from a slightly better camera.

I will piss myself laughing if the 7th generation does have a finger print reader though.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I didn't attribute anything to you, so don't get your knickers in a twist.

Yes you did. You replied to my post claiming the goalposts were already shiftng. Since that was my first post on the matter, how could they have been?
    Do they claim every product is revolutionary though? Really?

Yes.

Here's a list from 1999 till 2011:-

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/at-apple-everything-is-revolutionary/2843
    You would disagree that the media has a tendency to seize on the slightest thing to do with Apple, and blow it out of all proportion? I think that absolutely happens, and happens a lot.

I don't think they do more than say Google or Microsoft. I think you like to think they do however.
    I haven't argued anything about the S4. I may have said it wasn't any more of an update than the 5 was to the 4S, but that was all.

Fair enough.
    And no - the iPhone 5 is not the same design as the iPhone 4S. Unless you want to count all smallish, rectangularish, flattish designs as essentially the same design.

Same edges only painted, same bezel, same placement of all the buttons? Its the same!!
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Moto X turned out to be a huge let down did it. According to who? I can't imagine anyonlimited ese forums has managed to get their hands on one.
    Gormond wrote: »
    I think he is referring to the relatively low specification for the price as well as not being available outside the USA.

I was actually and honestly I know a few of my American friends who have said only good thing color customization is limited to one carrier. A friend had to return his because of awful battery life as well. it was a massive let down.

Btw from what I hear it is also heading to Canada.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are encouraged not to concern ourselves with specs when dealing with the Apple iPhone. So when the 7th generation is announced it will be exactly the same as the 6th generation apart from a slightly better camera.

I will piss myself laughing if the 7th generation does have a finger print reader though.

To be fair iOS works well on relatively low specs like Windows Phone does, also Apple optimise their SoC for better performance in iOS.

Why would you laugh? what a strange statement.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think fingerprint will be a great idea for that extra security.

No Thanks bad though thst the American and UK security agencies can mine data from out phones, why i want to give up mg fingerprints too?
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if the 5 is "off" the rader so to speak, what exactly does that mean? Apple will no longer stock them?

Regardless it will still get updates for at least the next 3-4 years or even longer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you think they would do with your fingerprints? I like to think that the CIA have got better things to do than randomly check out my fingerprints.

I'd also wonder if they'll be anonymous anyway, in the way that GPS tracking data is. Although again, I'm sure the CIA have better things to do with their time than check me out nipping out to the shops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you laugh? what a strange statement.

I wondered that too, but didn't like to say.

My best guess is this:

Some people would have you believe that there is more to a phone than any pissing contest involving processor speed etc.

So if Apple include a fingerprint reader they'll probably make a big deal out it.

And that will be taken as hilarious hypocrisy by some people.

Which doesn't make much sense to me, and I may be barking up the wrong tree, but its all I can think of.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair iOS works well on relatively low specs like Windows Phone does, also Apple optimise their SoC for better performance in iOS.Why would you laugh? what a strange statement.

Seems to me, much of the time they simply re-compile OS/X code for IOS, security bugs and everything. e.g. Unicode.

How is it optimisation when unification of IOS and OS/X code is the aim?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    When they don't say they invented it, will you come back to say how wrong you were?;)

They will not say that they invented it.

Will prob just give it some name (like they did with Retina for their displays) and then theycan say "iPhone is the first mobile ever to have ****** fingerprint technology". :D

It is still a good idea on a mobile though and I wish more of them had it on.

It would be excellent to use for things like payment via NFC.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,427
    Forum Member
    I think the best way to do this tonight is to start reading a blog an hour in, so at least you've got plenty of information to catch up on. Otherwise, it's just going to be immensely dull, as every single one of these tech launches are. I can't think of one in recent years that hasn't been nothing more than 'we are better than the competition' willy-waving.

I don't see hte point in all this 'well we had this first', 'now we've got feature X and it's better than [insert company's] feature Y and Z'. Yawn. Dull. Just look at the headlines later, that's all that matters.

What more can they launch on a phone anyway nowadays? Unless it's going to open my beer or make my bed, then it's not going to be very revolutionary anymore. Everything has been pretty much done. Nobody really needs a 1080p screen on something that small.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good if they brought the price of the 32GB one down and only did the 16GB on the 5C

iPhone 5C 16GB £300
    iPhone 5S 32GB £549
    iPhone 5S 64GB £699
    iPhone 5S 128GB £799

Is there that much of a market for people willing to spend £799 on a phone?
    Forum Member
    What do you think they would do with your fingerprints? I like to think that the CIA have got better things to do than randomly check out my fingerprints.

I'd also wonder if they'll be anonymous anyway, in the way that GPS tracking data is. Although again, I'm sure the CIA have better things to do with their time than check me out nipping out to the shops.

True but its not some lab tech sitting in a lab in Virginia checking your prints. It's a computer matching the ones held on databases (I think American Driving Licenses have a figure print, or did I imagine that) so in theory Apples could be another database for police/security services to check!

It's one for the "tin foil hat" brigade but in theory you can't have a mobile phone without leaving some sort of "paper trail", bank records, cc payments etc all linked to the phone, then you have the phones GPS and then you have geo tagging of photos, now they have your figure prints too!.. During the cold war either side would have given billions to be able to access that sort of data.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    No Thanks bad though thst the American and UK security agencies can mine data from out phones, why i want to give up mg fingerprints too?

When certain devices store your fingerprint they don't actually store an exact copy of it (just key reference points) which will not be any good to anybody and especially not if they use a mathematical calculation to authenticate this (encryption)?
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Is there that much of a market for people willing to spend £799 on a phone?

Must be the most expensive flash memory sold in the UK at £250 for 96GB. That's £2.60 per GB. Class 10 SD-HC cards are available for around £60 or about £0.47 per GB! Considering Apple buy in huge quantities it's hard to justify their pricing for flash storage.
    Forum Member
    ^^ true Mythbusters did a programme on breaking into rooms with figure print scanners, they got through the lot...lol
    Forum Member
    Must be the most expensive flash memory sold in the UK at £250 for 96GB. That's £2.60 per GB. Class 10 SD-HC cards are available for around £60 or about £0.47 per GB! Considering Apple buy in huge quantities it's hard to justify their pricing for flash storage.

Yep its one of my major gripes with Apple the cost of memory. When I bought my iMac to get it to 16gb of ram from Apple was something like £300 (I think) cost from Amazon for exactly the same ram £54