Options

Terry Christian says Paul Scholes is a "humble forelock tugging peasant".

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you think he is right?

Terry made this sneering claim on the Left-wing Ch5 show The Wright stuff - when defending Kevin Pietersen? Class warrior Terry prefers such "mavericks" to the more humble types - those that would perhaps be considered better role models.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Is Tel a City fan?
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    Is Tel a City fan?

No, United.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Is Tel a City fan?

No. Man U, funnily enough.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Nothing new here.
    C lister trying to be controversial to up his profile.
    If he hadn't said that would anybody be talking about him?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »

Terry made this sneering claim on the Left-wing Ch5 show The Wright stuff - when defending Kevin Pietersen? Class warrior Terry prefers such "mavericks" to the more humble types - those that would perhaps be considered better role models.

What do you think?

Using gratuitously insulting terms like that, about a player who has given so many years of first class service to a top flight club, just makes him sound like a jealous, resentful knobhead IMO.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Using gratuitously insulting terms like that, about a player who has given so many years of first class service to a top flight club, just makes him sound like a jealous, resentful knobhead IMO.

Terry Christian has always been a bit of a knobhead to be fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And yet Terry is a massive Man U fan.

To be fair Scholes is an oddly quiet man and keeps his head down. It would be interesting to know if there was anything traumatic in his childhood.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you think?
    BIB - Apropos of what? What does he mean by that and why single out Scholes? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Unless Christian puts it in context, how are we supposed to know?
  • Options
    Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair Scholes is an oddly quiet man and keeps his head down. It would be interesting to know if there was anything traumatic in his childhood.

To be honest, I think its too easy to look too hard into things like that. You could probably say the same about Gareth Bale or Alan Shearer.

Terry Christian, on the other hand, is a no-talent prannet. I remember him on Fantasy Football League about 20 years ago with a clipboard reading off facts about Man U and saying he knows Man C fans who hate Man U more than liking Man C. Andd all on an irreverant comedy show!
  • Options
    dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he's not a Manc gobshite.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you think?

Christian? Made a career of being an annoying little talentless git.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Wow didn't know he was still around, if you can call being on Ch5 "being around"
  • Options
    cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see it as odd that he's quiet. He's just a shy lad who wanted to play football for a career and wasn't interested in any of the associated fame that comes if you're successful.
    Not sure why being quiet suggests a traumatic childhood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas116 wrote: »
    I don't see it as odd that he's quiet. He's just a shy lad who wanted to play football for a career and wasn't interested in any of the associated fame that comes if you're successful.
    Not sure why being quiet suggests a traumatic childhood.

It's more than being a bit quiet - he's more strangely withdrawn.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Terry Christian's one redeeming feature to me was that he's a Utd fan. But dissing Scholes, sorry, he is now in Eejit territory for me. :D
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more than being a bit quiet - he's more strangely withdrawn.
    Do you know him? Serious question, as otherwise how can you possibly know that about someone you don't know? Do you mean he's quiet and withdrawn because he's not pictured week after week falling out of some tacky nightclub with a drunk women with her knickers round her knees or something? :confused:
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Scholes is the most boring footballer to have ever lived. Followed closely by Michael Owen

I hate people like that - get some confidence and some swagger you're very good at something and you're in a position millions would kill to be in. Enjoy it a little

Edit so yeah I agree with him
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Scholes is the most boring footballer to have ever lived. Followed closely by Michael Owen

I hate people like that - get some confidence and some swagger you're very good at something and you're in a position millions would kill to be in. Enjoy it a little

Edit so yeah I agree with him

I think he was quite confident doing his job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Paul Scholes is he example of what a footballer should be, keep your private life private, don't go around flaunting your money in the Sun or one of he other rags and play good football. I've always admired Scholes, I grew up watching him and whilst I'm not sporty myself, I admire anyone who doesn't buy into all the OK! Magazine junk.

So what if he's quiet. He might be the life and soul of the party around his friends but he just doesn't choose to throw his money and his family at the papers. I have more respect for someone like him than I'll ever have for the likes of Balotelli.

Footballers shouldn't have to buy into the celebrity side, if they do, fair enough, but if they don't, that's their choice and it should be respected. Humility, which Scholes has in spaces, is one of the best traits a person can ever have in my opinion. It's up there with kindness. You can be the richest man/woman in the world and be an A List celebrity but if you have an inflated ego, I have no time for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

What an odd thing to say about one of your own club's greatest ever players. Christian isn't much of a supporter.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Christian when Tony Wilson's name came up in the British Cool thread. For 20-odd years, Wilson was the nation's 'professional media Mancunian', representing Manchester, bantering with Scousers, generally putting the image of the city over to the rest of the region and the country... which he did with charm and good nature.

Now the 'mantle' has passed to Terry Christian, who idolised Wilson and wanted to be just like him - yet he has become instead an utterly charmless buffoon and seemingly in his old age a spiteful bully. When Wilson was ill, Liverpool musicians like McCulloch and Wylie wanted to put on benefit gigs to raise money for the drugs he needed. I doubt Christian would get such a response if he were in need, even within Manchester.

Paul Scholes was a fine footballer. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Scholes is he example of what a footballer should be, keep your private life private, don't go around flaunting your money in the Sun or one of he other rags and play good football. I've always admired Scholes, I grew up watching him and whilst I'm not sporty myself, I admire anyone who doesn't buy into all the OK! Magazine junk.

So what if he's quiet. He might be the life and soul of the party around his friends but he just doesn't choose to throw his money and his family at the papers. I have more respect for someone like him than I'll ever have for the likes of Balotelli.

Footballers shouldn't have to buy into the celebrity side, if they do, fair enough, but if they don't, that's their choice and it should be respected. Humility, which Scholes has in spaces, is one of the best traits a person can ever have in my opinion. It's up there with kindness. You can be the richest man/woman in the world and be an A List celebrity but if you have an inflated ego, I have no time for you.

If every footballer was like Paul Scholes football would go bankrupt

You need some personalities in sport it's not the fine arts
  • Options
    Forum Member

If every footballer was like Balotelli, the sport would be a joke, like professional wrestling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If every footballer was like Balotelli, the sport would be a joke, like professional wrestling.

It would still be entertaining though, Which is what it's meant to be. It would still sell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would still be entertaining though, Which is what it's meant to be. It would still sell

Well, I suppose professional wrestling is entertaining to some, when they all shout into microphones what they're gonna do etc, but not to me since I was about 16...

Studious footballers have their own appeal. For example, I think Gareth Barry has been fantastic since he joined Everton. Not the most glamorous or showy of players, but people appreciate what he puts into the game.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And there was me thinking that being a footballer was about how you performed on the pitch not what you do off it to placate the tabloids.