Shetland Series Two Starts Tuesday 11th March BBC1

Comments

• matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, my old stamping ground - the County Buildings in Lerwick. The female fiscal I worked with looked nothing like Julie Graham, though :cry::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I didn't know there was a 1st series, got some catching up to do :D
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started watching this, have never seen it before but I neeeeeed my murder mystery fix!

However, I have had to turn it off as, after 15+ minutes! I haven't understood a single word anybody's said! what with the accents and the moody mumbling! So irritating (the latter).

So, TV murder mystery 0 : Nicci French murder mystery novel 1. :D

xx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    That was a semi-submersible rig, it definitely wasn't the North Cormorant...
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Coxy has been stung by an unexpected and excessive utility bill, I can't think of any other reason for his appearance in this.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm-a-pain wrote: »
    I started watching this, have never seen it before but I neeeeeed my murder mystery fix!

However, I have had to turn it off as, after 15+ minutes! I haven't understood a single word anybody's said! what with the accents and the moody mumbling! So irritating (the latter).

xx

You could have watched Midsomer Murders on ITV3 at 8pm for murder mystery fix
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

xx

I can understand the dialect and I'm Aussie, then again I am living in Belfast so if one can understand the locals here one can get a handle on most dialects of the Brit Isles. That said, I remember when Taggart was first shown on TV in Oz back in the 90's with Mark McManus and mum and I could barely understand a word they said. But we loved it all the same ;-)

Must tell her to watch out for this series, she loves a good murder mystery :)
  • I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have watched Midsomer Murders on ITV3 at 8pm for murder mystery fix

Thanks I'll remember that - I've never seen MM. I like murder mysteries that are a bit 'quirky', or different, is there anything like that about it? I've always assumed it was just a basic run of the mill detective series, and that's based on ..... well, absolutely nothing!!

xx
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit boring. Couldnt live anywhere like that .... Too bleak. I had a boyfriend at school whose dad was in the RAF and got posted there. Often wondered what happened to him, I imagine his Dad was posted elsewhere after a year or two.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I quite liked it.

Very much like Broadchurch though.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My suspicions were correct, naffin' "blue screen," and too depressing, gave up after ten minutes.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks I'll remember that - I've never seen MM. I like murder mysteries that are a bit 'quirky', or different, is there anything like that about it? I've always assumed it was just a basic run of the mill detective series, and that's based on ..... well, absolutely nothing!!

xx

I wouldn't say Midsomer is 'quirky' as you say, but more cosy murder mystery, set in a classic English Village. Next week at 8pm on Tuesday there is another Midsomer on ITV3. John Nettles as Barnaby forms one of the best detectives on TV.
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded the first series and went to watch it the other day so I could then watch the new one. I lasted a half hour, everything seemed to be filmed in the dark so I hadn't a clue what was going on. The outside filming just looked bleak and dismal and I gave up on the accents >:(>:(>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    I recorded the first series and went to watch it the other day so I could then watch the new one. I lasted a half hour, everything seemed to be filmed in the dark so I hadn't a clue what was going on. The outside filming just looked bleak and dismal and I gave up on the accents >:(>:(>:(

"Longmire" on at the same time was a more satisfying experience.
    I just want to feel "engaged," not made to feel a bit depressed by a TV drama..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was any darker or bleaker than those Scandinavian series that everyone bangs on about. And subtitles are there if you need them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lois_Green wrote: »
    I didn't think it was any darker or bleaker than those Scandinavian series that everyone bangs on about. And subtitles are there if you need them.

Perhaps I would have perceived it as better If I'd had the subtitles on.

I could have pretended it was Scandinavian!
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    It's so horribly dark and bleak looking...I miss paradise :(

I love dark crime dramas but I'm used to the Scandi stuff so that's why - it adds to the grim atmosphere. This was set in midsummer anyway when it's basically light 24/7 up there. You're probably thinking it was that dark in the daytime but that was actually in the middle of the night and it's still that light!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh that's a shame. You should have turned on the subtitles on your TV - I would have missed tons of dialogue too if I hadn't done that.

I'm surprised so many people are complaining about the bleakness. It IS set right up there near Norway after all so it's to be expected. And as someone said above - if you're used to watching The Killing and The Bridge and shows like that, it's no different.

Anyway I quite enjoyed that again - liked series 1 too. I didn't realise the plot was going to continue more than one episode but I did wonder how they'd get it all tied up by the time it got to the last 10 minutes. So will it be going over all three eps or just this one and the next one? What happens with the last of the three?
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make me laugh to see so many complaining about not understanding what they were saying - and yet those of us "up here" can easily watch all your "down south" stuff and understand the accents without complaining.

I don't mind it - it's very dour, no-one cracks a smile! - and Jimmy Perez isn't the most scintillating of characters :p
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Oh that's a shame. You should have turned on the subtitles on your TV - I would have missed tons of dialogue too if I hadn't done that.

I'm surprised so many people are complaining about the bleakness. It IS set right up there near Norway after all so it's to be expected. And as someone said above - if you're used to watching The Killing and The Bridge and shows like that, it's no different.

Anyway I quite enjoyed that again - liked series 1 too. I didn't realise the plot was going to continue more than one episode but I did wonder how they'd get it all tied up by the time it got to the last 10 minutes. So will it be going over all three eps or just this one and the next one? What happens with the last of the three?

Three 2 part stories I believe.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's 3 two-part dramas - six eps in all :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make me laugh to see so many complaining about not understanding what they were saying - and yet those of us "up here" can easily watch all your "down south" stuff and understand the accents without complaining.

I'm good at understanding accents. For me it was more that there was some mumbling - might just depend on individual TV sets/settings too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Three 2 part stories I believe.
    It's 3 two-part dramas - six eps in all :)

Ah cool - thanks.
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Is it really pronounced Lerrick? I've been saying Ler-wick all these years and no one told me otherwise!
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Bit boring. Couldnt live anywhere like that .... Too bleak. I had a boyfriend at school whose dad was in the RAF and got posted there. Often wondered what happened to him, I imagine his Dad was posted elsewhere after a year or two.

I was up there a few times during my time in the mob and it was lovely for a short period. I'm not sure I could live there permanently, but the people were very friendly.