Linda Ronstadt

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
Now....I'm 56 and not really took any notice of her for all these years, but now have finally realised Linda Ronstadt is bloody fantastic, a bloody good voice one of the best ..and in her day very very pretty.....why didn't I realise this all those years ago ???....I must have had blinkers on
Such a shame about her health:(

Comments

• Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful woman, beautiful voice

It's a shame she doesnt seem to be thought of in the same way as some of her 70s peers...that might be a 'songwriting' thing

she's still beautiful to me, her decision to stop singing due to her health is awful....to have something like taken away from you.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My introduction to Linda was when a friend of mine had a copy of Heart Like A Wheel back in the 1970's which I loved. I bought the two greatest hits albums on vinyl but when CD's came about I went for a lot of the albums.

A lot of her stuff is covers, but she was always able to do great interpretations. Her version of You're No Good (which was a hit over here in the UK for the Swinging Blue Jeans in the 1960's) is just spine tingling.

And great musicians with her as well Andrew Gold and Kenny Edwards formed the backbone of a really tight solid band.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's in a similar bag to another American artiste, Bonnie Raitt, neither of whom have had much success over here, but have had huge success in the States. Whereas Linda Ronstadt was a very good country rock singer she established success far more quickly than Raitt, which may have had something to do with her model looks as well as more commercial material. Raitt was more blues influenced as well as doing country rock and is as good a vocalist as well as a notable slide guitarist. But she had the harder time getting recognised, although I'd say she was the more musically talented.

I didn't know that Linda Ronstadt had contracted Parkinsons Very unfortunate.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    She's popular in my town, but that's probably because she was born and raised here.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I really like Linda, such an amazing voice and so tragic that she has lost it to illness. Heart Like A Wheel is a great album, I do find it surprising that You're No Good was a chart topper in the US yet over here it made no impact!

I love her version of Blue Bayou, it really shows off her vocals and brings great passion. Also really enjoy her parts on Under African Skies by Paul Simon and Old Man by Neil Young
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the name sounded familiar, then I remembered she is on my christmas compilation album with her version of "When You Wish Upon A Star":)