What does Murdoch want with Scotland?

welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
Forum Member
To go to all this trouble of backing the Yes vote seems a bit much to merely give Westminster a bloody nose in revenge and do some good business with his newspapers in Scotland to me. Surely Murdoch is after more from Salmond to resort to such a big thing as backing the break up of the UK - but what? It did really make me smile how columnists in Murdoch papers who would always be dead set against this kind of "lefty looney madness" are now so warm towards Yes :D Seriously, are any of them even right wing or do they just do whatever Rupe tells them year round?

Comments

• delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    To go to all this trouble of backing the Yes vote seems a bit much to merely give Westminster a bloody nose in revenge and do some good business with his newspapers in Scotland to me. Surely Murdoch is after more from Salmond to resort to such a big thing as backing the break up of the UK - but what? It did really make me smile how columnists in Murdoch papers who would always be dead set against this kind of "lefty looney madness" are now so warm towards Yes :D Seriously, are any of them even right wing or do they just do whatever Rupe tells them year round?

some sort of deal for his Sky call centre no doubt
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think it's typical Murdoch.. trying to back the winner.
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    bobbyd wrote: »
    Power.

He should just call up his old chums in the No camp Scotland will be a wasteland with nothing happening if it goes independent ;-) Apparently. Not too attractive for power.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants Nicola Sturgeon.
  • alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murdoch is annoyed with Westminster politicians because he believes they should have protected him and his minions over Leveson and he feels personally betrayed by Cameron. He may also feel anti-Labour because of the Blair and Mrs Murdoch relationship rumours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    Murdoch is annoyed with Westminster politicians because he believes they should have protected him and his minions over Leveson and he feels personally betrayed by Cameron. He may also feel anti-Labour because of the Blair and Mrs Murdoch relationship rumours.

there was a cracking interview with some guy who wrote a book about Murdoch on Radio 5 livelast night.
    Says the only time Murdoch has done anything without the motivation of money was when he paid for the distribution of Galipoli, a film that highlighted the gross stupidity and cruelty of the English officer class
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    He'd move BSkyB up to Scotland with the corporation tax cut, and would be behind the 'SBC' if Scotland were to go indy and lose the BBC, plus no regulations for The Sun or any other of his filthy rags. Leveson has damaged him in England.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    He is a Murdoch - his grandparents were Scottish.

Maybe Rupert is just a true patriot!:D
    Forum Member
    He is a Murdoch - his grandparents were Scottish and emigrated from Aberdeenshire to Australia.

• northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't want anything to do with Scotland. He just wants to support a party that can harm Labour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    He is a Murdoch - his grandparents were Scottish.

He hates the English, just watch Gallipoli for evidence of that
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    He hates the English, just watch Gallipoli for evidence of that
    Why has he spent so much of his time in England then? He may hate England now over Leveson as another poster mentioned but surely not all his life if that's what you're suggesting. He could've just concentrated on his Fox business in the US and stayed away from England if he'd wanted to. I wish he had quite frankly!
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't want anything to do with Scotland. He just wants to support a party that can harm Labour.
    An opportunity to ally himself with an organisation that will have a go at the BBC is a bonus.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of Sky subscribers
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    In addition to Sky he'll be out for a huge slice of the SBC should it come about so be ready for a subscription model folks.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think Hypnodisc has it in one. I've got a feeling (if Scotland) goes independent) that this Scottish Broadcasting Service won't happen. By killing the BBC in Scotland potentially means more subscribers to Sky. There's more to it than that (see my post in Broadcasting if you want to) but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens...
    Forum Member
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    Think Hypnodisc has it in one. I've got a feeling (if Scotland) goes independent) that this Scottish Broadcasting Service won't happen. By killing the BBC in Scotland potentially means more subscribers to Sky. There's more to it than that (see my post in Broadcasting if you want to) but I wouldn't be surprised if this happens...

If you live in the Irish Republic you can watch the BBC on Sky! So why not the same for Scotland.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you live in the Irish Republic you can watch the BBC on Sky! So why not the same for Scotland.

I don't think you can easily?

Granted if you know what you're doing or buy kit registered in the UK you can watch it, but legitimately installed Sky boxes with Irish subscriptions should display the Irish channels (RTE, TG4 etc) instead of BBC/ITV AFAIK?

I may be wrong on this but I thought it was a case of they can't see ours, we can't see theirs (I know RTE and the other Irish terrestrials etc are encrypted on 28e)
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants to get back at Westminster for his epic humiliation at their hands.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murdoch's blueprint for his friend Salmond is for Scotland to be out of the EU and have a smaller government.

Funnily enough he is having behind closed doors meeting with Nigel Farage, another one of the 'anti-establishment' figures
  • longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there was a cracking interview with some guy who wrote a book about Murdoch on Radio 5 livelast night.
    Says the only time Murdoch has done anything without the motivation of money was when he paid for the distribution of Galipoli, a film that highlighted the gross stupidity and cruelty of the English officer class

So there is a piece of truth and goodness in that dark soul. I don't buy into the stupid unthinking slaughter in the French campaign wholesale (though it did exist and in more than we would care to experience) but on occasions there were actual tactical reasons why - just very badly executed. It was a stalemate of carnage in the end. And something I would never want to experience.

If you don't understand why Gallipoli was a wasted generation you really need to get the books out, that was stupid slaughter, for nothing. Rupert backed the right horse on that one.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing he wants everywhere...a complete monopoly of all media types/outlets.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I just wish he'd retire and take up gardening. He's ancient, can't he just settle for a bit of relaxation and pruning roses?
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They pay the BBC for the privilege, Scotland will no doubt be given the same option.
    It certainly won't be given to Scots for free though.