Options

Stop Press - Big Business Demands That We All Vote Conservative!

ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would we be mug enough to vote Tory if business owners simply asserted that a Tory government would be better for their company and personal finances?

Probably not....

Why then are so many otherwise sensible people saying we should stand back and do nothing whilst big business attempts to bully the Scots into voting "no" in next week's referendum?

Off topic, for a bit of light relief on the referendum issue, take a look at this from the Irish press...

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/foolish-to-send-three-stooges-to-tell-scots-how-to-vote-30583904.html

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot more at stake here than there ever is in a vote for one party or another in a parliamentary election.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This decision is bigger than the current crop of politicians, who will come and go.

If Scotland votes 'yes', then there is no turning back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This decision is bigger than the current crop of politicians, who will come and go.

If Scotland votes 'yes', then there is no turning back.

Big decision or not, businesses should have to adapt to the will of the people not the other way round.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you prefer that they do?

Keep their plans to move a secret until after the referendum and then yell "surprise!" from the removal vans as they head south?

Or tell lies...say they will be staying put while the removal vans are hidden in warehouses or under camouflage nets?

TBH I wasn't aware that the principles of capitalism had been suspended or abolished north of the border. That being the case business will locate itself in the places where it can make most profit at least risk.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Totally agree OP.

Where are food prices and other retail prices highest - in central London actually cos rates, rents and wages are higher and retailers can get away with charging more!

It's the opposite of what is being claimed!

How does anyone in Ireland or little Norway afford to feed or clothe themselves I wonder?

What is being put about by these Tory voting bankers and corporate chief executives is nonsense - and disgraceful!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "They would say that..." is the phrase that comes to mind when big business comes out with this alarmist stuff.

The simple truth is you cannot believe what vested interests have to say. They do not have the best interests of the public in view when they make these statements.

Would they lie? Of course they would!, that's what businesses do all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALANM wrote: »
    Big decision or not, businesses should have to adapt to the will of the people not the other way round.

Businesses are only interested in the bottom line. They are not interested in politics.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Totally agree OP.

Where are food prices and other retail prices highest - in central London actually cos rates, rents and wages are higher and retailers can get away with charging more!

It's the opposite of what is being claimed!

How does anyone in Ireland or little Norway afford to feed or clothe themselves I wonder?

What is being put about by these Tory voting bankers and corporate chief executives is nonsense - and disgraceful!

Food (and other) prices are higher not because retailers can get away with charging more but for the very reason you gave. Rates, rents and wages are higher.

You have no idea (and nor do I) who the bankers or chief executives vote for. If I was a banker, I'd be voting for Labour - I'd personally have done a damned sight better when they were in power compared to now.

What's really disgraceful is the idea that businesses - which as much a part of the community as you or I - are, according to some, not allowed to speak out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That worked really well during the Cadbury/Mondelez (Kraft) takeover didn't it ;-)
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London is not typical of the UK just as Scotland is not typical of the UK both have higher cost basis that doesn't change the fact that they can be offset to some degree by sharing some of that difference with the more typical areas of the UK. If Scotland is no longer part of the UK operations of that business it's unlikely to get the same offset any more. The extra expense to the government of operating in Scotland is approximately £1200 per person, anybody that thinks prices on average won't be higher in Scotland after independence is confusing Scotland with Fantasy Island. Even businesses that don't incur extra costs will see it as an opportunity to raise prices just as will happen when Scotland adopts the €.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Food (and other) prices are higher not because retailers can get away with charging more but for the very reason you gave. Rates, rents and wages are higher.

You have no idea (and nor do I) who the bankers or chief executives vote for. If I was a banker, I'd be voting for Labour - I'd personally have done a damned sight better when they were in power compared to now.

What's really disgraceful is the idea that businesses - which as much a part of the community as you or I - are, according to some, not allowed to speak out.

I agree...and to be honest I wish they would do it more often...because politicians are damn quick to jump in with their misrepresentation/version of the "business opinion" at the drop of the hat.

That said I think we all know it's not so much the fact they are speaking out...so much as certain people being miffed they are not saying what they want them to say.

IMO we are just getting the hors d'oeuvres in Scotland to the entrée if we ever end up with an EU referendum...where I fully expect the Europhobes to be squealing like Salmond is right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree...and to be honest I wish they would do it more often...because politicians are damn quick to jump in with their misrepresentation/version of the "business opinion" at the drop of the hat.

That said I think we all know it's not so much the fact they are speaking out...so much as certain people being miffed they are not saying what they want them to say.

IMO we are just getting the hors d'oeuvres in Scotland to the entrée if we ever end up with an EU referendum...where I fully expect the Europhobes to be squealing like Salmond is right now.

I agree too.

For months now I've been thinking of starting a thread along the lines of "Are we empowering ignorance"? I haven't done it yet because I haven't got it clear in my own head - It's a very complicated issue - but the more I look around, the more I see examples (and it's far from being limited to the debate on Scotland).

I mention it because the absence of authoritative information in the referendum debate (which personally I believe has become a debate about Westminster) has created a vacuum into which a colossal amount of utter twaddle has poured and, worse still, put down roots. Unless they solve the issue of authoritative information, precisely the same will be happening again when an EU vote comes.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you prefer that they do?

Keep their plans to move a secret until after the referendum and then yell "surprise!" from the removal vans as they head south?

Or tell lies...say they will be staying put while the removal vans are hidden in warehouses or under camouflage nets?

TBH I wasn't aware that the principles of capitalism had been suspended or abolished north of the border. That being the case business will locate itself in the places where it can make most profit at least risk.

Could you imagine the uproar if they'd said nothing - then upped sticks if the yes vote wins
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

Not all UK business's and bankers are in favour of EU membership and further integration.
    I think the EU debate will be more of a level playing field than the one we are currently seeing in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree too.

For months now I've been thinking of starting a thread along the lines of "Are we empowering ignorance"? I haven't done it yet because I haven't got it clear in my own head - It's a very complicated issue - but the more I look around, the more I see examples (and it's far from being limited to the debate on Scotland).

I mention it because the absence of authoritative information in the referendum debate (which personally I believe has become a debate about Westminster) has created a vacuum into which a colossal amount of utter twaddle has poured and, worse still, put down roots. Unless they solve the issue of authoritative information, precisely the same will be happening again when an EU vote comes.

:):):)

How nice to agree...though I'd hold off on the thread...because "Are We Empowering Ignorance?" will pretty soon become "An Invitation To Display Ignorance" ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :):):)

How nice to agree...though I'd hold off on the thread...because "Are We Empowering Ignorance?" will pretty soon become "An Invitation To Display Ignorance" ;-)

There is that, too.

I think we'd probably agree on most things. It's that last yard.. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Not all UK business's and bankers are in favour of EU membership and further integration.
    I think the EU debate will be more of a level playing field than the one we are currently seeing in Scotland.

I don't believe I said that they were all in favour just pointing out that some of the same people who support what business leaders are saying now...when business are broadly supporting the pro-Union arguments....will find themselves in a bit of a bind when some of the same business leaders start saying things support another pro-union position...the Pro-EU one.

When some of the current "better together" individuals start chucking those badges in the bin in the rush to pick up the "better apart" ones.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1997 they warned us that voting Yes for a Scottish parliament would cost us more...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/08/0822/scotbank.shtml

In 1997 they warned us that voting Yes for a Scottish Parliament would harm businesses...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/devolution/scotland/news/300897MAJ.shtml

In 1997 they warned us that devolution would impoverish Scotland. One prominent Tory likened a Yes vote to a Scottish Parliament to a 'jobs holocaust...'
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/same-old-tories-looking-back-3014315

In 1997 they warned us that Scotland with its own parliament would become a 'high-tax ghetto...'
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/same-old-tories-looking-back-3014315

In 1997 we were warned of the 'frightening financial consequences of devolution...'
    http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/4th-september-1997/10/scots-warned-on-devolution

In 1997 big business and the CBI spoke out against devolution...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/devolution/scotland/news/280897CBI.shtml

In 1997 they warned that devolution would harm the climate for business in Scotland...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/09/0907/devolution.shtml

In 1997 they warned that Devolution would lead to job losses...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/election-97-lang-in-row-over-scottish-job-fears-1269117.html

In 1997 they warned us that devolution would harm fragile rural communities and undermine agriculture...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/devolution/scotland/news/250897.shtml

In 1997 they warned us that a devolved Scotland would be weaker and suffer from less inward investment...
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/1997/apr/24/past.electionspast1

And yes, even in 1997, big business threatened to leave if democracy prevailed…
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/election-97-lang-in-row-over-scottish-job-fears-1269117.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is that, too.

I think we'd probably agree on most things. It's that last yard.. ;-)

Oh I'm quite happy to have ketchup on fries occasionally...if you can bring yourself try mayo occasionally ;-)
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They will - they are entitled to have an opinion though and they are also entitled to go elsewhere if it doesnt suit them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    They will - they are entitled to have an opinion though and they are also entitled to go elsewhere if it doesnt suit them.

Their opinions do count to the extent that each and every company director who lives and works in Scotland gets to cast one vote (same as everyone else).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 1997 they warned us that voting Yes for a Scottish parliament would cost us more...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/08/0822/scotbank.shtml

... etc ...

Same answer as I gave you on the other thread, with one addition.

You really should credit other people's work if you're just going to copy and paste. The above comes from here.

Forgive me for adding the opening para from that story.
    Since you all think I’m a mouthy wee jobby who can’t keep my thoughts to myself I decided I might as well continue in the same vain. I hope all you lovely people will like and share this rant like you did my last

The addition is that entire post you've copied doesn't present the result of those warnings / pledges etc. It doesn't even try to. Consequently, it's meaningless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same answer as I gave you on the other thread, with one addition.

You really should credit other people's work if you're just going to copy and paste. The above comes from here.

Forgive me for adding the opening para from that story.

The addition is that entire post you've copied doesn't present the result of those warnings / pledges etc. It doesn't even try to. Consequently, it's meaningless.
    because its patently obvious that none of it transpired
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because its patently obvious that none of it transpired

Far from obvious to me - perhaps you can put up the individual links that demonstrate all the warnings were wrong. Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far from obvious to me - perhaps you can put up the links that challenge each of them. Thanks.

i won't be doing that, it's plain as day that devolution has not harmed Scotland.

Could you provide links to the harmful effect devolution has had, maybe we can all decide if devolution was worth it.