Options

Cerrie Burnell 'Scaring' Children

Comments

• Options
    soilhoofsoilhoof Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There aren't half some thick folk with children - no wonder banks and governments simply walk all over the adult population of the UK.
    I plan to support an ingenious employment choice by the BBC - 'Sesame Street's deaf and non-white cast members helped round my world view as a toddler - I wouldn't want my nephews and nieces watching the Jung Volk every day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,677
    Forum Member
    There are some planks out there, aren't there?

I can only imagine that these people have no idea that they are supposed to answer their children's questions, giving them insights into the big world out there, so they can go on and live their lives unafraid to ask questions, and unafraid of people who are different.

but hey. we all know that there are huge numbers of people out there who live in a kind of homer-simpson world of their own.

as for the poster who said they keep zooming in, i have four year old twins, we watch cbeebies every day, and no, they don't "keep zooming in", all the presenters hold up birthday cards, make things etc and sometimes they do show their hands. it's no more or no less than other presenters.

i actually made it a point, to point out to them this presenter's difference. we played a game where we tried to do things using just one hand, putting shoes on etc.

it's how you educate children, show them how to be interested in the world, how to look at other people's lives and how, above all, to not be a total plank.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soilhoof wrote: »
    There aren't half some thick folk with children - no wonder banks and governments simply walk all over the adult population of the UK.
    I plan to support an ingenious employment choice by the BBC - 'Sesame Street's deaf and non-white cast members helped round my world view as a toddler - I wouldn't want my nephews and nieces watching the Jung Volk every day!

I sure hope you non substantiated sweeping statement is not aimed towards me there. I am offering an opinion, which i am surely entitled to, and one that in no way was aimed at race or disabilities in general, i think she is not that good and the corporation seem a little obsessed with highlighting her disability at the expense of the other bloke. And where does the issue of white or non white come into anything which means people are more open minded. I have no problem, i am quite open minded about things and i feel the issue we have is that as a nation (government are leaders in this) is that anyone with a differing opinion, is labelled as intolerent, racist etc,The Jung Volk comment really is a typical example.

Why can't people accept that no one answer is correct, and peoples opinions should be accepted for what they are, the opinion of that person and not of others, i think that the parents who have complained about her scaring their children really do need a little word in their ear about acceptance and differences, but some children will not understand that under a certain age anyway. I remember one of my mothers friends in the mid 70's recalling the story of her 2 yr old child screaming at horror when she saw a black person as it was the first time she had seen one, that seems to be what is happening here, but for some reason we have to label and judge everyone.

Sorry deep breath....... rant over
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davinawho wrote: »

as for the poster who said they keep zooming in, i have four year old twins, we watch cbeebies every day, and no, they don't "keep zooming in", all the presenters hold up birthday cards, make things etc and sometimes they do show their hands. it's no more or no less than other presenters.

That is obviously your opinion and i see it differently, but hey thanks for at least quoting me and how i must be a plank because i have a differing opinion is something i obviously must work on, since my kids will no doubt in your eyes become adults who hate people with disabilities, while is sit on the sofa drinking duff and shout do'h whenever something happens, i tend to disagree and for the record my kids are brought up very well thank you.
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why it might scare kids at first, but surely a simple explanation from a parent would clear things up.

I've seen more comments in the vein of saying she's a crap presenter, I don't know since I've never watched CBeebies, but I hope she was hired for her talent rather than her disability. There is a strong element of tokenism in kid's TV, although this may not be the case.
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until this nonsense of a non-story broke, I wasn't even aware that the presenter had a disability even though I watch CBeebies regularly with my kids! For anyone to claim that they constantly "zoom in" on her disabled arm is nothing short of a lie! It simply isn't true!

Anyway, I'm sure parents with disabled children will welcome this presenter if not just to show their kids that their disability doesn't have to hold them back!
  • Options
    glowboyglowboy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    It's quite frightening that these ignoramuses are bringing up children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davinawho wrote: »
    There are some planks out there, aren't there?

I can only imagine that these people have no idea that they are supposed to answer their children's questions, giving them insights into the big world out there, so they can go on and live their lives unafraid to ask questions, and unafraid of people who are different.

but hey. we all know that there are huge numbers of people out there who live in a kind of homer-simpson world of their own.

i actually made it a point, to point out to them this presenter's difference. we played a game where we tried to do things using just one hand, putting shoes on etc.

it's how you educate children, show them how to be interested in the world, how to look at other people's lives and how, above all, to not be a total plank.
    Go that parent! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glowboy wrote: »

This is why we have so many little oiks running around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glowboy wrote: »

Does everyone here on this forum buy the daily mail and seem to think that unless other people agree with them they are .... ignoramuses, planks, bad parents etc.... i seem to remember that for "daring" to have my own opinion (of what i actually see, not what i think) it's accused that my kids will grow up white supremacists signed up for the Deutsches Jungvolk movement the moment they hit 10 yrs old.

Unlike yourselves i do not feel the need to prove my parenting skills amongst a bigoted group by belittling everyone who does not agree, what i do find shallow is the fact the forum seems devoid of mature adult comment other than a childish slagging off contest that it seems to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was genuinely shocked when I read the story earlier. I can't imagine children being frightened by her, its the parents who have the issue and its sad that they are using their kids as cover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner 51 wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a147553/disabled-bbc-presenter-scaring-children.html <--- Source

Whoever these parents are - they must be a tad intolerant of the disabled.

If a child is a little scared of a one armed person, it doesn't take long to explain that Cerrie was unlucky enough to be born with the one arm as opposed to two.

I hope Cerrie keeps her job in television despite what a few people say.

It's an interesting debate actually, there are things that can't be shown on TV (during daytime anyway), like naked breasts for example and yet no one says women are unlucky to be born with them.
    I don't think the parents are saying their kids are frightened of the presenter, only of her arm and I'm sure they're not expecting her to quit her job.
    There ARE guidelines to protect children when it comes to TV and language, sex, violence for example and people are ok with them so it would appear that it's not always just a simple matter of explaining things to kids to make it ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    Groan - instead of jumping on the "outraged bandwagon" and believing everything you read in the gutter press, take some time out, chill and actually read the original thread.....a handful of forum members (not hundreds) simply said she is a crap presenter and its got bollocks to do with her disability.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=980250

And kids care about how good a presenter is?! :rolleyes:

If YOU actually try reading the OP in that thread, he was being blatantly prejudiced by saying that she would 'scare' his children because of her disability. He has even been quoted in a Sky article- http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Disabled-CBeebies-TV-Presenter-Cerrie-Burnell-Accused-Of-Scaring-Children-After-Complaints/Article/200902415227818?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15227818_Disabled_CBeebies_TV_Presenter_Cerrie_Burnell_Accused_Of_Scaring_Children_After_Complaints_
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter loves her (although she misses Pui!). There are some incredibly shallow parents out there. I feel sorry for their kids.
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And kids care about how good a presenter is?! :rolleyes:
    If YOU actually try reading the OP in that thread, he was being blatantly prejudiced by saying that she would 'scare' his children because of her disability. He has even been quoted in a Sky article- http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Disabled-CBeebies-TV-Presenter-Cerrie-Burnell-Accused-Of-Scaring-Children-After-Complaints/Article/200902415227818?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15227818_Disabled_CBeebies_TV_Presenter_Cerrie_Burnell_Accused_Of_Scaring_Children_After_Complaints_

Watch it dearie - next you'll find its you being discussed on Sky news for daring to imply that children are stupid....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    I was genuinely shocked when I read the story earlier. I can't imagine children being frightened by her, its the parents who have the issue and its sad that they are using their kids as cover.

I totally agree - my friend's child very sadly had a car accident and lost her foot - when she went back to school the children were interested and then didn't bat an eyelid and didn't feel the need to discuss it once it had been explained - story was over as far as they were concerned.

A lot of parents upset the child - completely by mistake and not meaning to upset - because they couldn't hide the expressions on their faces of shock or slight repulsion.

Children are very hardy when it comes to disabilities if all is explained usually - and no doubt as she was 3 - the age group of the children will make a difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,677
    Forum Member
    Watch out!! It's Cerrie coming out of the telly at you with her weird hand!! AGhhhhhhh!!!! Begone tv presenter! You bear the mark of the devil I tell thee!!

*despairs*
  • Options
    c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 3 year old watches cbeebies and couldnt really care less i dont think children are narrow minded enough to care unless its pointed out to them by adults.

As for her presenting skills think they are all much the same nowadays nobody will ever live up to Rod,Jane and Freddy!!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gunner 51 wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a147553/disabled-bbc-presenter-scaring-children.html <--- Source

Whoever these parents are - they must be a tad intolerant of the disabled.

If a child is a little scared of a one armed person, it doesn't take long to explain that Cerrie was unlucky enough to be born with the one arm as opposed to two.

I hope Cerrie keeps her job in television despite what a few people say.

Those parents should hang their heads in shame! And what a terrible example they are to their kids, to react like that!:mad::mad:

... lets hope these people never have a serious accident or illness eh? Wouldnt want to upset their little dears with their presence after that eh??:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I can't believe this, my daughter who is 4, tugged my arm the other day and pointed to the tv and told me to look, I didn't even notice until she said, I just explained that some people are born differently or may have been poorly so look different, I then said that she was lucky to have 2 arms and 2 legs etc, she just said 'oh' and carried on watching it, never been mentioned again!

It wasn't that hard to explain, probably didn't tell her the pc way, but don't think she cared, all she wanted was some reassurance!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It's not as bad as my Mum's best friend's son saying
    "Why's the man got a dirty face, Mummy?"
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lolly licker the kids things come out with are priceless! bless em they just dont understand what they should and shouldnt say!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    c4ll3mw wrote: »
    Lolly licker the kids things come out with are priceless! bless em they just dont understand what they should and shouldnt say!!

:D:D:D

But onto the subject of this debate;

Kids might be scared, as she looks different, and difference does scare children! However, kids normally tell their parents when they're scared, it just scares ME what replies the parents may have given their children...:(
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Stigma! A lot of people do not see disabled people. I dislike the word "disabled" as it does not promote a positive image.

As for no hands or arms or stumps,at one time it was a regular sight during the Boer War. Sailors regularly hopped off ship with injuries and limbs missing.

A relative of mine had a false arm with a claw grip. He was lovely and we used to find him fascinating as kids as no one else we knew had a fake arm/hand.

I am not quite sure how scary comes into the equation?
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    skhwoody wrote: »
    My son is 2 this year and he only looks concerned when they keep using close up shots of the stump at the end of her arm, where you can clearly see where the fingers have not developed and show shows small fingernails. That seems to trouble him, but the question really should be how many close up shows do we need. I have no issue with her in general, i just do not think she or the bloke she is with are that good, but i do have to question why they insist on zooming in on that part excessively, they do not zoom into other presenters that much.

So What would you do if your kid at to sit next to another kid at school that did not had an arm, would you complain to the school because your child could "Zoom" on his stump. Or what would you do if you had another kid that was born with this problem, would you make your "normal" kid avoid looking to his brother/sister stump because it could "trouble" them?
    Unbelievable!