Just bought a laptop without an Operating System

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do I go about installing either XP or Windows 7 on it? Ive been told I need to get the drivers right, but I didnt understand what they meant if Im honest

The spec of the laptop is:-

>Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
>Memory: 2GB RAM
>Hard Drive: 120GB

Is it a big / expensive job?

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing about "getting the drivers RIGHT!", install XP or W7 and go from there .....

if you have XP or W7 that is?
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably modern enough for drivers to not be an issue. I would recommend waiting a few more weeks and just buying a Windows 8 license.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    nothing about "getting the drivers RIGHT!", install XP or W7 and go from there .....

if you have XP or W7 that is?

I dont have anything, that why I am asking. Where to buy these things etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    It's probably modern enough for drivers to not be an issue. I would recommend waiting a few more weeks and just buying a Windows 8 license.

Ive only ever used XP, so happy with something that is the cheapest if Im honest
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Would W8 work on a PC with that kind of spec though? XP would run well and W7 would run but might need another gig of RAM.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have anything, that why I am asking. Where to buy these things etc
    Buying Windows directly from The Microsoft Store (UK) is one way of going about it.

Alternatively, if you want a free OS, and can burn a DVD, get Linux Mint instead.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had that laptop with no OS I'd try linux on it ..... you could even run ubuntu live version (perhaps others too) from a dvd burned from an iso to see if you like it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would W8 work on a PC with that kind of spec though? XP would run well and W7 would run but might need another gig of RAM.

It would run just fine. XP is happy with 1GB+. Vista and up are fine with 2GB and up.

My current laptop has a C2D and originally came with 2GB and 120GB and it runs great on W8.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    If I had that laptop with no OS I'd try linux on it ..... you could even run ubuntu live version
    (perhaps others too) from a dvd burned from an iso to see if you like it
    Except that Linux Mint is a better distro than Ubuntu these days, since it's more user friendly for novices, and the version
    that I linked to in my earlier message uses the MATE desktop environment, which maintains a very Windows like layout.

The default GNOME 3 layout in Ubuntu is a hybrid mess of GUI styles combining elements of Android with a bit of OS X,
    with the resulting GUI looking more like it should be running on a tablet device, rather than a desktop or a laptop.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Is there a Microsoft CoA sticker on the back of the laptop? If you cant see it, try removing the battery.

No sticker means you will need to source your own OS. Be it paying for a copy of Windows 8, downloading Linux or whatever.

If you have a sticker then you have a licence but will need a suitable installation disk for whatever it corresponds with + any drivers that dont get automatically installed. The latter can be picked up from the manufacturer's website. The former may be a bit more tricky.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just so people know, drivers can still be an issue. I bought a relatively new laptop and put my own personal copy of Win 7 on it instead of putting up with Asus' bloatware.

What I found was that the ethernet and wireless cards work until I downloaded the drivers, neither did the AMD / ATI graphics card either.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend waiting a few more weeks and just buying a Windows 8 license.

Or use XP or 7, which are actually decent OSes, unlike 8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Or use XP or 7, which are actually decent OSes, unlike 8.

I could understand recommending 7, in no way could I understand recommending XP - an 11 year old system that is soon to run out of any kind of support.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Buying Windows directly from The Microsoft Store (UK) is one way of going about it.

Alternatively, if you want a free OS, and can burn a DVD, get Linux Mint instead.

The Microsoft store appears to show 'upgrade' versions e.g that is if you already have a Windows operating system installed.
    Although it's possible to use an 'upgrade' disc as a new installation - this is easier and cheaper than the Microsoft store
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-OEM-software-intended-builders/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1349040331&sr=1-2

Using an upgrade disc http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc

Personally I would go with W7 rather than W8
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

why ? Windows 8 is designed for touch screen.

OP - Your specification looks fine for Win7 as long as you aren't doing anything too heavy duty on it.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

OP - Your specification looks fine for Win7 as long as you aren't doing anything too heavy duty on it.

^^ agreed ,go with 7 ,why pay good cash for 8 just to disable what is made for ie tough screen > pc/tablet/phone ,wait till 8 comes out and 7 prices crash imo
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Ive been told I need to get the drivers right, but I didnt understand what they meant if Im honest...
    If you Google the make/model of the laptop, you will probably find the manufacturers website listed where you can download any drivers you need after installing the OS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HP Compaq 6710b
    Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz,
    2GB Ram,
    120GB HDD,
    DVD RW

Havent received it yet - wil check for stickers etc when it comes
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Depends how it was wiped, there may be a copy lurking in a recovery partition. :)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HP Compaq 6710b
    Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz,
    2GB Ram,
    120GB HDD,
    DVD RW

Havent received it yet - wil check for stickers etc when it comes

So what's it? A private sale of an old PC, a refurb off eBay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

All I know is that I've been running various iterations of Win8 on a non-touchscreen laptop with a 2GHz C2D and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Most of the time, I'm sitting in desktop and I don't mind straying into the start screen now and again to do a start search and have a quick read of emails, calendar stuff, headlines via the Live Tiles.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I know is that I've been running various iterations of Win8 on a non-touchscreen laptop with a 2GHz C2D and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Most of the time, I'm sitting in desktop and I don't mind straying into the start screen now and again to do a start search and have a quick read of emails, calendar stuff, headlines via the Live Tiles.

I've been using Win8 for around 4 or 5 months now and I really don't see any reason for upgrading and everyone I have spoken to say the interface is worse then win7.

I have been through many iterations of windows from 3 onwards and of course there is resistance when there is a big change (I remember how hated XP was when it came out) but Win8 for me is a step in the wrong direction for non-touch devices. Never mind the lack of backward compatibility.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say there can never be enough discussions of the virtues of Win8.

Sometimes it's also not that trivial a thing to do. But since you have bought the thing...

Apparently this was a Vista Business OS.

When a new laptop is purchased there is often on the hard-drive a hidden back-up of the operating system, just in case the installed operating system crashes badly or something.

The owner is supposed to make copies onto DVD of this backup when they first get the new laptop. Then if the OS does go wacky they can re-install from these DVDs

But I believe it's possible to re-install Vista (in this case) from this hard-drive backup even if the OS has been wiped, as long as the hidden files on the HDD have not been wiped.

I have never done this before however, so I don't really know.

When the laptop arrives:
    Plug in the mains adapter.
    Press and release the power on button (on the laptop somewhere, near the keyboard?)
    Then press F11, keep holding it down until messages appear.

I can't say exactly what will happen next, if messages like "HP/Compaq System Recovery" come up then that's good news.

You might be able to create the DVD back-ups at this point. You will need 1 or 2 blank DVD-R now. It will likely tell you how many.

or

You will be able to re-install Vista directly.

---
    But if you can make copies onto DVD I would definitely do this step, for extra safety. Then when it's done you can install from these DVDs as you would normally.
    When the laptop arrives best communicate what the situation is in this thread.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the drivers are available here for different OS's:-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3356622&prodSeriesId=3356620&prodTypeId=321957&swLang=8&taskId=135

...but hopefully, as mentioned above, you may still have a recovery partition on the HDD.

If you do have to install an OS from scratch, you will probably only need a few of the drivers on that site. If anything isn't working (as seen in device manager) or if anything is missing, just install the relevent drivers.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally if the Recovery partition is not on the machine and the OP wishes to install XP..

It might be a bit tricky since XP does not have the necessary SATA (hard drive) drivers on it's installation disks.

There are two ways around this however. But best wait until the machine turns up.

After all, a properly licensed Vista OS is all right for free. Vista can be tweaked to be quick and speedy and 2GB is enough mem for it.

XP will likely cost around £20 on Ebay otherwise.