Options

Wii U, is it worth it?

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
Forum Member
For some reason I've been wanting to get a Wii U lately - is it honestly worth it :confused: I havent played the old Wii very much lately but dont want to lose it due to that being able to play classic Gamecube games.
Is the Wii U VC able to play retro games in their original resolution? On the Wii they look horrible blown up to 480p. :(
Can you transfer them or do you have to buy them again? I have Paper Mario (N64), Super Mario RPG (SNES) and various demos.

Comments

• Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since E3 I've been wanting to get one as well, but money is stopping me getting a Wii U. I mainly want it for the new Zelda game but there's others I want too.

Sorry that wasn't any help that you wanted.
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can transfer games from the Wii to the Wii U as a one time only thing.

I recently got my first Wii and have decided never to use the e shop again. If I buy a collection of SNES games and then my console breaks down or I have to format it, I've lost my games forever. I bought Zelda for the N64 and that's it. I only bought that as I didn't know at the time you couldn't ever restore your games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    TheVoid wrote: »
    You can transfer games from the Wii to the Wii U as a one time only thing.

I recently got my first Wii and have decided never to use the e shop again. If I buy a collection of SNES games and then my console breaks down or I have to format it, I've lost my games forever. I bought Zelda for the N64 and that's it. I only bought that as I didn't know at the time you couldn't ever restore your games.

I've had my deleted and I got it back, games are saved to your nintendo account.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Is that true? Interesting... I'll check my Club Nintendo account then.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Can you transfer them or do you have to buy them again? I have Paper Mario (N64), Super Mario RPG (SNES) and various demos.
    Once you've used the Wii > WiiU transfer wizard all your VC console games can be accessed via the Wii side of the console. Any games stored on SD will have to be redownloaded from the WiiShop again at no cost.
    Unfortunately they will look the same as what they were on your original Wii as your still playing via what is still essentially a Wii.
    However, any VC titles purchased that are also available on WiiU VC can be purchased at a discounted rate and can be used on the WiiU Gamepad, I couldn't comment on if they look any better on the TV screen as I've not downloaded any WiiU VC titles yet.
    At the moment I still play all my retro titles via the HBC using emulators on the Wii side (which do look a lot better than the Wii VC downloads).
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pronshi wrote: »
    I've had my deleted and I got it back, games are saved to your nintendo account.

How did you do that? My Wii did have the free Donkey Kong game installed on it, but when I reset my Wii, it was gone forever.

So how can you restore your purchases then if you buy a new Wii?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    How did you do that? My Wii did have the free Donkey Kong game installed on it, but when I reset my Wii, it was gone forever.

So how can you restore your purchases then if you buy a new Wii?

thats very strange, i had a red Wii, when i did the transfer to the WiiU, that was the only game that stayed on the original Wii

if your Wii U or Wii breaks down, you have to provide the Club Nintendo email address you used to Nintendo, they will then offer support

the WiiU really needs an account system but thats another thread
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently bought one and had an absolute blast for about 3 weeks. After that though, you find that the pool of games to choose from is very sparce. If you're a Nintendo fan, do it. The console is the home of probably one of the best Mario games of all time. If your buying it just for novelty though, bare in mind it wears out pretty fast
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Yes, in short. Mario 3D and Mario Kart 8 are worth the purchase alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Love my Wii U and this is from someone who had wrote the Wii U and Nintendo off at one stage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend the system I've owned one since MK 8 launched and have to say there's nothing like it out there. Mario 3D World is exceptional and shows the power of the system with the lovely graphics. There's more than enough out there in terms of 1st party and the indie games are coming thick and fast which is always helpful. Smash Bros on the way as well which is massive.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to get one, but the only games I would be interested in playing are Mario ones. I dunno if I could justify the cost just so I can play Super Mario 3D World, Mario Bros U and Mario Kart 8...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mario kart 8 is getting dlc which is a bargain for £11. Also I believe a super smash brawl is coming and I'd definitely recommend Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze and Lego City Undercover. It's a great console with some brilliant games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2015 is looking pretty sweet as well the Wii U has a great catalog of games.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you have made your decision yet but yes, the Wii U is definitely worth it. There are finally a good selection of games, the tablet controller is better than it looks and there are so many cool upcoming games to look forward to.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    Not sure if you have made your decision yet but yes, the Wii U is definitely worth it. There are finally a good selection of games, the tablet controller is better than it looks and there are so many cool upcoming games to look forward to.

wonder when they will release a redesigned system???

has to happen, surely
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten just how good the gamepad is! ... Been playing MarioKart online (via offtvplay) & typing this message! :cool: ... How can anyone say it's shite? :confused:

(I hope the next console either comes with a similar pad or uses the next handheld!) :)