• Options
    SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    172. Cockroaches [Harry Hole-2] - Jo Nesbo 6/10
    Vintage Books (Random House), 464 pages
    <Crime> The second Harry Hole case is set in Asia not so long after the Australian adventure in 'the Bat'. Harry is put on the case of a murdered ambassador.. But has he been out on the case to fail? Not as good as the later books, but a nice step on the way to creating the legend that is now Harry Hole.

173. Amazing Spider-Man 1984-1985 - Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, Jim Shooter, Al Milgrom etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 504 pages <Graphic Novel> Amazing Spider-Man #253-271, Annuals #18-19, Secret Wars II #2… DeFalco and Frenz make their mark with Puma, Black Fx, the Rose, Silver Sable and some great Black Cat, MJ, and Jonah Jameson centred arcs… also, finally someone, or should I say, a few people find out who Peter Parker really is!
    174. Amazing Spider-Man 1986 - Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz, Jim Shooter, Al Milgrom etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 421 pages <Graphic Novel> Amazing Spider-Man #272-283, Annual #20, Secret Wars II #7-9… The best run since Marv Wolfman's; the last year sees Secret Wars II, Hobgoblin maybe unmasked, Slyde, the Sinister Syndicate and Frank Miller's reimagined Kingpin come to the Spidey universe.
    175. Amazing Spider-Man 1987-1988 - Jim Owsley, JM DeMatteis, John Romita Jnr, Alan Kupperberg, David Michelinie etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 342 pages <Graphic Novel> Amazing Spider-Man #284-297, Annual #21, Spider-Man vs Wolverine… The solid run in the flagship book continues despite various creators working on it; a period led by the awesome 'Gang War', and classic tales such as the fall of the Hobgoblin, Spider-Man vs Wolverine, Peter's proposal and the fan-fave Kraven's Last Hunt.
    176. Amazing Spider-Man 1988-1989 - David Michelinie & Todd McFarlane 5/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 890 pages <Graphic Novel> Amazing Spider-Man #298-328, Annual #22-23, Spirits Of The Earth. Great McFarlane art., but storylines just average though… biggest story is Eddie Brock and the Symbiote merging to become Venom!

177. Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man 1984-1985 - Peter David, Rich Buckler etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 503 pages <Graphic Novel> Spectacular Spider-Man #103-121 and Annuals #5 & 6… more solid Copper Age Spidey including the
    Death of Jean Wolff
    , the enigmatic 'Ace' PPTSM annuals, the Foreigner and a superb Black Cat V Sabretooth battle!
    178. Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man 1987-1988 - Peter David, JM DeMatteis, Danny Fingeroth, Alan Kupperberg, Sal Buscema etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 387 pages <Graphic Novel> Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man #122-136 and annual#7, with numerous creators, and including Kraven's Last Hunt and the Sin Eater Returns.

179. Web of Spider-Man 1985-1986 - David Michelinie, Danny Fingeroth, Louise Simonson, Sal Buscema, Marc Silvestri etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 530 pages <Graphic Novel> Web Of Spider-Man heralds a third concurrent Spidey series! WOS #1-21, and annuals #1-2… including Humbug, Chance, Solo, the Beyonder's gold building and a great story with the other 'Thunderbolt.
    180. Web of Spider-Man 1987-1988 - Jim Owsley, JM DeMatteis, Fabian Nicieza, Peter David etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 556 pages <Graphic Novel> Web Of Spider-Man #22-43, and annuals #3-4… a very mixed bag of creators.. Best are De Matteis 'Kraven's Last Hunt' books, and Peter David's 'Cult Of Love.
    181. Web of Spider-Man 1989-1990 - Gerry Conway, Alex Saviuk, Mark Bagley etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 675 pages <Graphic Novel> Web Of Spider-Man #46-70, and annuals #5-6… at last a consistent creative team of Conway and Saviuk, includes the outstanding 'corner business' about street drug peddling and surprising arc about a right wing skinhead villain. Period includes Inferno and Acts Of Vengeance cross-overs.

182. Deadly Foes Of Spider-Man - Danny Fingeroth, Al Milgrom, Kerry Gammill etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 101 pages <Graphic Novel> Four issue Limited Series focussing on the Sinister Syndicate and the lives of Beetle, Shocker, Rhino, Speed Demon, Boomerang, Hydro Man and the machinations of the Kingpin.

183. That Close - Suggs 5/10
    Quercus, 400 pages
    <Biography>
    Interesting autobiography which spends more time looking at London and Sugg's non-Madness career than one would expect.

184. Gone - James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge 5/10
    Arrow Books (Random House) 489 pages
    <Thriller>
    Michael Bennett and his extended and very large family are under Government protection… hiding from a Latino drug baron, who's just about to more or less declare war on the State of California! Good solid age turner as ever.

185. The Big Picture - Douglas Kennedy8/10
    Abacus, 374 pages
    <Suspense>
    I seem to read one of Kennedy's books every 2-3 years… and every time I do… I always think want an amazing writer, why don't I read his stuff more often! A great read, a compulsive suspense ridden story of a man who has everything but loathes it, and is giving the chance to start again, but has the huge shadow of his past hanging over him... a dark moral fable, ferociously plotted... well put from the back blurb... read this!
  • Options
    Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32) The Beach Hut Next Door by Veronica Henry
  • Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    172) William Boyd - Restless
  • Options
    jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12. Perfect People- Peter James
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    41. A Breach of Security by Susan Hill.
    A very short outing for Simon Serrailler before the next full length novel comes out in October. I borrowed it on my Kindle as part of my Prime subscription, a good story but too short to justify buying even at 99p!
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45. Tell the Wolves I'm Home - Carol Rifka Blunt

9/10 - it took me a few chapters to get into this book but once I got going I loved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    173) The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
    174) Midnight Runner - Jack Higgins
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    28. Dead Simple by Peter James
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    42. Wool by Hugh Howey, audiobook read by Susannah Harker.
    An ok read/listen, it started off really well, but as the story progressed I started to lose interest. I don't think that I'll read book 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    175) The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    43. The Time Machine by H. G. Wells.
    Last read decades ago at school. I was surprised at how much I remembered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    33) H is for Homicide by Sue Grafton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    176) Free Country - George Mahood
    177) Precious and The Mystery of Meerkat Hill - Alexander McCall Smith
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    47. Copy Cat - Gillian White

7/10 - It took a while to get into the book but when I did I really enjoyed it, but I found the ending confusing. Maybe I'm being thick but I found it confusing
    at the end who had killed who!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    178) Maeve Haran - The Time of Their Lives
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    179) Jojo Moyes - Sheltering Rain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    NinaRibena wrote: »
    76. Can You Keep a Secret? - Sophie Kinsella
    77. Backlash - Lynda La Plante
    78. The Secrets We Left Behind - Susan Elliot Wright

Sorry, haven't updated for a while:

79. Ravage - Iain Rob Wright
    80. Night in the Lonesome October - Richard Laymon
    81. You're the One I Want - Giovanna Fletcher
    82. Three Weeks to Say Goodbye - C.J. Box
    83. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
    84. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
    85. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - JK Rowling
    86, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
    87. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - JK Rowling
    88. Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince - JK Rowling
    89. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling
  • Options
    Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    10) The Midnight Rose - Lucinda Riley 8/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    44. The Woodcutter by Reginald HIll, audiobook narrated by Jonathan Keeble.
    Sir Wilfred Hadda's fairytale lifestyle and marriage to his childhood sweetheart takes an abrupt turn for the worse when his house is raided by the police.

I suppose that this would be described as a psychological thriller. Excellent storyline, great descriptions of the Lake District backdrop, a good range of characters and brilliant narration. I really enjoyed this one, highly recommended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    34) Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues by Trisha Ashley