Options

Running Theme?

liam58liam58 Posts: 80
Forum Member
I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but someone on tumblr just mentioned about a recurring theme around breathing. Episode 1= How long can you hold your breath for. Episode 2= Don't hold your breath. Coincidence?

Comments

• Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liam58 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but someone on tumblr just mentioned about a recurring theme around breathing. Episode 1= How long can you hold your breath for. Episode 2= Don't hold your breath. Coincidence?

BIB: Yes.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB: Yes.

what do you think BIB means?

(or maybe I don't know what it means)
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    what do you think BIB means?

(or maybe I don't know what it means)

Bit in bold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit in bold.

was there any bit in bold though? that's my point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    was there any bit in bold though? that's my point

Certainly is on my screen - the word "coincidence" in the boxed-out quote.
  • Options
    illibumillibum Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't come on here much so this may have been mentioned elsewhere but I thought the recurring theme was the Doc re-living his life but not remembering it.

In Ep 1 he couldn't quite remember the droids using humans for spare parts. In Ep 2, the dalek chained up was reminiscent of Eccleston's first dalek encounter. The scene inside the dalek in the gunk similar to the one in the starwhale's mouth for the Doc and Amy. Miniaturisation and antibodies were straight from Let's Kill Hitler. If the Promised Land is computer based, that's from River's library episode.

I thought it must either be deliberate or the writers are out of ideas.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    illibum wrote: »
    I don't come on here much so this may have been mentioned elsewhere but I thought the recurring theme was the Doc re-living his life but not remembering it.

In Ep 1 he couldn't quite remember the droids using humans for spare parts. In Ep 2, the dalek chained up was reminiscent of Eccleston's first dalek encounter. The scene inside the dalek in the gunk similar to the one in the starwhale's mouth for the Doc and Amy. Miniaturisation and antibodies were straight from Let's Kill Hitler. If the Promised Land is computer based, that's from River's library episode.

I thought it must either be deliberate or the writers are out of ideas.

The writers are out of ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough.
    I can't wait for the copy of Blink.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough.
    I can't wait for the copy of Blink.

Listen......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sneeze
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    It's the "Heaven" thing that's bugging me! Is everyone that dies each episode going to end up having a cup of tea with Missy? It'll have a large cast by the finale!!:o:o:o
  • Options
    hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Probably coincidence but boyfriends have been mentioned in both episodes so far too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly is on my screen - the word "coincidence" in the boxed-out quote.

hmm interesting - I'm on a laptop and I can see it - on my mac its not bolded!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Yup yup ..... There seems to be an ongoing theme with Boyfriends and Girlfriends.... but that’s way too much like Matt Smith era - and quite typical of Moffat's style anyway.

So far in the first two episodes EYES seem to be a re-occurring theme:

The Doctor's eyes are now featured in the opening credits :cool:

Deep Breath:
    - The Dinosaur talks about the world being dark and not able to see
    - The robot has an eye exposed, and harvests new eyes from a human.
    - the doctor mentions his own eyebrows
    - Vastra wears a veil and talks with Clara about "seeing"
    - the Doctor says 'you look at me but can't see me"
    Into the Dalek:
    - Clara wears a shirt covered in an eye ball pattern
    - The miniature team enters the Dalek through the eye stalk
    - The antibodies look like floating eyes
    - The dalek creature has one eye and it is gigantic compared to the mini doctor

ALSO - Robots/autons/ androids/ cyber people, etc are definitely a re-occurring theme for this season!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not a bad idea - not bad ata all.

I've suggested elsewhere that the story so far (plus other elements such as the oddly "instant" regeneration from 11 to 12) could point to memory as part of the series "arc" - including "heaven" being the Doctor's memory and "Missy" being some part of his psyche.

Over all though, I'm thinking that the "theme" is going to be about revealing or creating a bit more "mystery" regarding the Doctor (or Timelords in general) - as a change in direction from arcs that have mostly revolved around companions since 2005.

My gut says that Danny PInk is the Doctor's daughter - Jenny. Having her regenerate into a black, male would be one way of addressing at least some of the criticism of the "racist/sexist agenda" without actually changing the Doctor. At the same time, having part of the Doctor's mind shown as female (in Missy) would have a similar effect.

Add all that to the publicity machine constantly shouting "trust me, it's darker" and the feeling I'm getting is that this is the year when moffat panders to the "hardcore" fans and it's worrying me.

Worry because of something that ought to stand out in a show that's still using the "Am I good man?" feedline. The show runners should take notice of the brilliant line written for a Star Trek movie a few years ago - "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man. And let history make its own judgments" - they should write good stories and stop trying to pander to "demographics" of any description.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My theory is still holding water.
    Gatiss produces a script full of holes, heavy on "humour", light on substance, and the Doc doesn't remember it happening before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hanging on in there.
    Tonight, a mixture of Midnight and Madame de Pompadour's bed.