Options

The White Queen discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it seems as if it's at least as much the fault of the programme makers, as you say, going by the quotes from Gregory that Kapellmeister put up a page or so back.

It is interesting to see that she has an Executive Producer credit. I wonder how much clout she actually had
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is interesting to see that she has an Executive Producer credit. I wonder how much clout she actually had

The executive producer is usually the person who funds the production, iirc.
  • Options
    Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duplicate post
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he conjures up the atmosphere of 16th century England really well and the dialogue doesn't seem too anachronistic. 'Revelation' was my favourite but I thought the last one, 'Heartstone', was quite boring and strung-out.

I can't remember the full details of each one, but I enjoyed them all. The one where the lady had been racked and was then burned at the stake was really good but it had me in tears. That must have been Anne Ayscough (or Askew as it's pronounced). I should really read them again.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Alison Weir. Her book Innocent Traitor had me in tears at the end. Is her book fiction or non-fiction?

Almost certain it's non. Although it can be hard to tell sometimes. I take it if I can't see the word "fiction" anywhere and the title is down to earth "Elizabeth of York" as opposed to "Tortured Heart of York" then it's non fiction ;)
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I do agree on that point. I think it wouldn't be the great love affair as hinted at in the book, but if anything a political move.

I don't think it would have existed in real life in any form, political or otherwise. It was incest, and bearing in mind that you had to apply for dispensation from the Pope to marry a distant cousin, I don't think they'd get dispensation to marry so closely - it's still forbidden. It's all in PG's mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it possible that Elizabeth might have had a wee crush on her uncle and he might have had a soft spot for her but I can't see there being any real plan to marry or even to have any real physical intimacy. It just wouldn't have been acceptable. (Unless I read the times completely wrong). Anne Boleyn was accused on incest with her brother and that was considered very shocking. Uncle isn't as close but I still think it would have been shocking and a king with a usurper in the wings can't afford unnecessary scandal.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Alison Weir. Her book Innocent Traitor had me in tears at the end. Is her book fiction or non-fiction?

It's fiction but unlike PG's books its very well researched . Innocent Traitor by far is the best historical novel written
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    It's fiction but unlike PG's books its very well researched . Innocent Traitor by far is the best historical novel written
    I think Gemma was asking me if the imminent book about Elizabeth of York was fiction or not. I think you are telling her that Innocent Traitor is fiction.

I think :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I think Gemma was asking me if the imminent book about Elizabeth of York was fiction or not. I think you are telling her that Innocent Traitor is fiction.

I think :)

The incest story is almost certainly fake. Elizabeth and Henry actually loved each other as records show. Even the Yorkist don't deny that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The incest story is almost certainly fake. Elizabeth and Henry actually loved each other as records show. Even the Yorkist don't deny that

That doesn't make AW's new book "fiction" though - possibly inaccurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That doesn't make AW's new book "fiction" though - possibly inaccurate.

At least with AW she leaves the royals she dislikes alone from her fiction novels, unlike PG.

Can't help but feel sorry for the Plantagenets , especially Anne Neville and King Richard who has received the most of her hatred
  • Options
    boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    didn't an expert on PG's The Real White Queen and her Rivals say that Henry Tudor delayed his wedding to Elizabeth by 5 months to make sure she wasn't pregnant by Richard III?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    boab34 wrote: »
    didn't an expert on PG's The Real White Queen and her Rivals say that Henry Tudor delayed his wedding to Elizabeth by 5 months to make sure she wasn't pregnant by Richard III?

Or they could just have been waiting for the dispensation from the Pope. I also read that he didn't want to be seen as having the claim to the throne through his wife, whose claim was much stronger than his really non-existent one, so had himself crowned before the wedding, so maybe that's a reason the wedding was postponed.

I really very much doubt there is any truth in the rumours about Richard and Elizabeth. It would have been seen as even more shocking to them than it is to us I'm sure.

ETA - Was Prince Arthur premature? He was born 8 months after the wedding, so he was either premature or a bit of pre-marital hanky panky was going on ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    Or they could just have been waiting for the dispensation from the Pope. I also read that he didn't want to be seen as having the claim to the throne through his wife, whose claim was much stronger than his really non-existent one, so had himself crowned before the wedding, so maybe that's a reason the wedding was postponed.

I really very much doubt there is any truth in the rumours about Richard and Elizabeth. It would have been seen as even more shocking to them than it is to us I'm sure.

ETA - Was Prince Arthur premature? He was born 8 months after the wedding, so he was either premature or a bit of pre-marital hanky panky was going on ;)

That was what I heard at school and it makes sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was what I heard at school and it makes sense.

Like I said before. They were very much in love , which by those days stanaderd was unusual for an arranged marriage.
  • Options
    Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if Elizabeth of York indeed was pregnant at the time her wedding to Henry Tudor, it was yet another reason for him to marry her. She's proven herself to be fertile and kings need heirs.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Richards wife is a Scheming witchbag
    Her dad would have been so proud:)
    I want Henry to win now, given the way Richard has totally caved in to that ferret-faced clot of a wife of his.
    I reckon he will win
    After promising his brother to put young Edward on the throne - vile.

Good job Henry is on the way to finish off this horrid lot of schemers
    They are all schemers:eek:
    this program is so historically inaccurate it's an insult to all their memories. At least the Tudors kept the storyline accurate
    apart from the size of the king when older
    If PG wants to ruin history, why doesn't she go and write about The Stewarts? Nobody cares about them and it might make them interesting
    Do you mean The Stuarts ?
    Anna_W wrote: »
    I like Anne Neville . It had to be very nice to her to see Elizabeth Woodville downfall. Remember , how horrible she was to her, when she was her lady in waiting.
    Lizzy will make a comeback
    Kat-nap wrote: »

So Hastings isn't in this at all then?
    Neither is Poirot:o
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Wars of the Roses related Jonathan Foyle documentary on BBC4 tomorrow night about the possible discovery of Henry VII's and Elizabeth's of York's marriage bed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03816y3

Am I being blind? I've searched my Sky planner for BBC4 tomorrow (Tuesday) night and I can't see this programme listed anywhere. :confused:n Lots of other history programmes on tomorrow night, but not that one - as far as I can see. Like I say, could well be missing something really obvious, but I clicked on the link in the hopes it might give a time of transmission so I could double-check it, but there isn't one given.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said before. They were very much in love , which by those days stanaderd was unusual for an arranged marriage.

I don't know if the were "in love". I definitely don't think they were when they got married. It may well have come later. So I don't think it was relevant to when they married.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I being blind? I've searched my Sky planner for BBC4 tomorrow (Tuesday) night and I can't see this programme listed anywhere. :confused:n Lots of other history programmes on tomorrow night, but not that one - as far as I can see. Like I say, could well be missing something really obvious, but I clicked on the link in the hopes it might give a time of transmission so I could double-check it, but there isn't one given.

'Secret Knowledge' is showing on the BBC's TV guide for the London region at 20:30 here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/guide/bbc/london/20130806

I remember Jonathan Foyle promoting it on his Twitter as being on 6th August a couple of times too. I wonder if it depends on the region you're in as to whether it's on. :confused:

*Edit* - From that TV guide it seems it's now showing a repeated Secret Knowledge ep (a Lucy Worsley one) whereas earlier it was showing it as the Jonathan Foyle ep. No idea what's going on. Might Tweet him and try to see if he knows a broadcast date for his own show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

9 pm - Tales from the Royal Bedchamber:)
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 pm - Tales from the Royal Bedchamber:)

No I think this poster is querying when the Jonathan Foyle Secret Knowledge documentary that I talked about earlier is going to be on. That's a different show entirely to Tales from the Royal Bedchamber.

This discussion is even more confusing because Lucy Worsley presents both Royal Bedchamber tonight AND the repeated ep of Secret Knowledge which (after some bizarre BBC change) now appears to be on tomorrow night.

Well I've just Tweeted at Jonathan so will report back with any news. Another woman has just Tweeted him about it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry I am horribly confused now. It is great that there are so many history programmes on to get confused about :)
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never read anything that said they were very much in love; Henry had to marry Elizabeth as she had more of a claim to the throne than he did. When he repealed Titulus Regius, and if her brothers were dead, she was in fact rightful Queen.

He delayed her coronation so it couldn't be said she was the reason he was king, and he kept her very much under the thumb of his mother, and removed her mother to a nunnery after she plotted against him. He was also the man responsible for the death of her uncle, who she may have had a crush on or may just have known as an uncle, also (possibly) her brothers, also her cousins Warwick and Lincoln and as many other of her relatives he could find, not to mention possibly her brother if he was really Perkin Warbeck.
    He wasn't exactly a trusting man, HenryTudor, and I don't think he's ever been accused of being a very loving one! I'd love to see a source for that if there is one, it might shine some light on him.