How to Download files and back again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
Forum Member
Has any Hummites out there ever transferred contents from one disc and then back to another?
I'm considering changing the 160 Gb disc to 750 Gb disc. How do you transfer the contents off the 160 disc then put them back onto the newly installed 750 Gb disc? :confused:
Currently, I have about 65 programs I dont want to lose and either want to keep or dont have time to watch and wipe,unless I take two weeks off work and do nothing else. I have a slap top with about 20Gb free for the task.
'How to do' in plain English please,pc babble not really understood-thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speedy Lee wrote: »
    Has any Hummites out there ever transferred contents from one disc and then back to another?
    I have a slap top with about 20Gb free for the task.
    'How to do' in plain English please,pc babble not really understood-thanks in advance.

Always difficult to explain technical things in non technical language.

First step if you are going to use the laptop is to buy an IDE to USB adaptor such as IDE to USB

Second step download HumaxRW from Humax RW Wiki. Unzip HumaxRW into a new directory below C: (eg if you call the new directory humaxrw then it would be C:\humaxrw).

Remove the existing drive from the 9200 and connect to the laptop using the adaptor. Put the new drive into the 9200 temporarily and power up the 9200 when it should offer to format the new disk. NB be very careful not to touch any of the power electronics in the 9200 whilst the box is connected to the mains; it is very easy to hurt yourself and damage the box. Turn off the 9200 and remove the new disk when the format is complete (a few seconds).

Start a command prompt (In Windows XP Start menu>All programs>Accessories>Command prompt.)

Type the following:

cd c:\humaxrw
    humaxrw 2: -l

With luck this should produce a list of files on the old hard drive. If it doesn't try

humaxrw 3: -l

As you don't have enough space on the laptop you need to do the transfer in stages. To transfer the first ten programs (you will need to judge whether ten will fit into the available space) type:

humaxrw 2: -g 1-10

This will take a while, maybe half an hour. Disconnect the old drive reconnect the new drive and type:

humaxrw 2: -p *.ts

When complete try

to check that the files have transferred. Delete them from the laptop and transfer the next batch of ten from the old drive using:

humaxrw 2: -g 11-20

and so on until complete. Come back and ask questions if something is not clear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Hey thats great news! When the time come I'll certainly give it a try and let you know the outcome. Many thanks.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you don't have enough space on the laptop you need to do the transfer in stages.

Is it possible to use an external drive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Is it possible to use an external drive?
    Yes although it may slow things down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I've used an external USB drive many times when transferring stuff and as long as it's USB 2 High Speed, then it's not particularly slow.

Ian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking to do a similar thing, but not upgrade the drive. Basically want to reformat my disk but save the recordings. Once I've copied the files to a laptop, is it best for the Humax to do it's quick format, or could I get Windows to give it a full format to improve performance/stability?

The two main reasons I'm wanting to do this is to get rid of a bad sector on the disk where recordings appear twice, and also to recoup some space that PIP used to record in an earlier software bug.

I'm guessing with a format, the errors shouldn't carry across?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJjay18 wrote: »
    I'm looking to do a similar thing, but not upgrade the drive. Basically want to reformat my disk but save the recordings. Once I've copied the files to a laptop, is it best for the Humax to do it's quick format, or could I get Windows to give it a full format to improve performance/stability?

The two main reasons I'm wanting to do this is to get rid of a bad sector on the disk where recordings appear twice, and also to recoup some space that PIP used to record in an earlier software bug.

I'm guessing with a format, the errors shouldn't carry across?

If you are seeing hard disk error messages from the 9200 then a format in a PC might improve things for a while. If you have a corrupt file system (which is what it sounds like to me) then a Humax format which is almost instantaneous should be adequate. You certainly won't do any harm formatting it in a PC though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be worth running a scandisk on it as well? And defrag? What does the Humax format it as - FAT, FAT32?

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJjay18 wrote: »
    Would it be worth running a scandisk on it as well? And defrag? What does the Humax format it as - FAT, FAT32?
    No it is a Humax proprietary file system that Windows doesn't understand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    There is an alternative method which doesn't involve lots of disk swapping. The whole disk can be transferred in one hit. The disadvantage is that you would have to beg, steal or borrow a second IDE to USB adapter. This method transfers directly from disk to disk without using any of the 20GB free on your laptop.

Connect both disks to the laptop.

As before type the following in the command prompt window:

cd c:\humaxrw

Work out which disk is which by going through the disk numbers with the listing command.

Assuming disk 2 is the source and disk 3 is the destination.
    To transfer the whole of the source to the destination:

humaxrw 2: 3: -b
  • MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speedy Lee wrote: »
    I'm considering changing the 160 Gb disc to 750 Gb disc. How do you transfer the contents off the 160 disc then put them back onto the newly installed 750 Gb disc? :confused:
    Currently, I have about 65 programs I dont want to lose and either want to keep or dont have time to watch and wipe,unless I take two weeks off work and do nothing else. I have a slap top with about 20Gb free for the task.
    'How to do' in plain English please,pc babble not really understood-thanks in advance.:)

I'm tempted to ask the question: If you haven't got time to watch what you've already recorded, why do you need a bigger disc?

(This from someone who has over 400 VHSs in the loft which haven't seen the light of day for about 10 years)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I want to do is connect my Humax's disk to my laptop and copy over the entire contents to the laptop in one go. Then reformat the Humax disk, and copy all the data back. What is the best command to do this?

Thanks.